Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Gothic turns 15 years

T. Reich

Arcane
That is... new to me.

Was that already in G2 or was it NotR that added it?

No idea. I barely played vanilla G2, because NotR is superior in each and every way.
Here's the monster stat table from WoG - http://www.worldofgothic.com/gothic2/?go=addonmonster
Here's another one from a YUGE Gothic game database - http://mondgesaenge.de/G2ADB/EN/
They show the same monster stats, and I tested them for truthfulness in many G2NotR replays.
Sure, my memory was a bit wrong though - only Golem type enemies (4 golems + stone sentinels) get a separate and lower blunt weapon res stat. Undeads actually have the same weapon resistance for blunt and edge melee weapons.

Here's the vanilla G2 database - http://mondgesaenge.de/G2DB/EN/
Monster stats there show that some (not all) golems present in G2 vanilla do have a different blunt weapon resistance stat. I don't see any other monsters with different blunt and edge melee weapon resistances.

Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted
Happy belated birthday Gothic 1.

I wish you would of worked on my computer but you didn't, so fuck you.

Black Angel

Arcane
Why? Any specific problem you're having? I'm playing on a relatively ancient rig, and Gothic 1 ran flawlessly, at least. Gothic 2 had shitton of stutters but I can live with it since at least it ran.

Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted
Why? Any specific problem you're having? I'm playing on a relatively ancient rig, and Gothic 1 ran flawlessly, at least. Gothic 2 had shitton of stutters but I can live with it since at least it ran.

I mean this is literally from like 10 years ago dude, I bought the gothic collection/universe which had 1-2-3 and 1-2 wouldn't launch after installing no matter what I did. They didn't work on my laptop at the time either.

Of course gothic 3 worked though and I got to play that 'wonderful' game :D.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Regoth is in the works. It will at least make the game playable on modern systems without the need of mods and fanpatches.

Black Angel

Arcane
Is there anybody here who ever had a problem where the path to Khorinis from Xardas' Tower through Lester is somehow gone? I'm talking about the path that's visible at 58:35 on this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpHToFxSfXI (sorry I didn't embed it, either the internet connection or the forum is currently fucking with me right now for some reason).

This is driving me crazy because I knew the path existed, before I begin my first playthrough I was fucking around with the unmodded, patched game and managed to get to Lobart's farm through that path from Lester. At the farm, I saved and began installing some texture packs (which is the biggest mistake I've made) to make things prettier. And then I was thinking of backtracking a bit through that path, and suddenly it's gone. It was really driving me crazy, but I managed to forget about it for a while and shoulder on to play.

Now that I've finished my first playthrough, I decided to immediately re-install the game to get rid of whatever mods and patches I installed and started a fresh new game. This time I only bumped up the graphics through my GPU and some ini tweaks, and only had the fix, player-kit, and systempack installed; that's it. And now that I made a new game to see if the path is there, and it's still gone. Blocked by a wall of mountain that's for some reason still there despite me not installing any texture packs whatsoever. What's my problem here, bros? This is literally driving me insane.

T. Reich

Arcane
Is there anybody here who ever had a problem where the path to Khorinis from Xardas' Tower through Lester is somehow gone? I'm talking about the path that's visible at 58:35 on this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpHToFxSfXI (sorry I didn't embed it, either the internet connection or the forum is currently fucking with me right now for some reason).

This is driving me crazy because I knew the path existed, before I begin my first playthrough I was fucking around with the unmodded, patched game and managed to get to Lobart's farm through that path from Lester. At the farm, I saved and began installing some texture packs (which is the biggest mistake I've made) to make things prettier. And then I was thinking of backtracking a bit through that path, and suddenly it's gone. It was really driving me crazy, but I managed to forget about it for a while and shoulder on to play.

Now that I've finished my first playthrough, I decided to immediately re-install the game to get rid of whatever mods and patches I installed and started a fresh new game. This time I only bumped up the graphics through my GPU and some ini tweaks, and only had the fix, player-kit, and systempack installed; that's it. And now that I made a new game to see if the path is there, and it's still gone. Blocked by a wall of mountain that's for some reason still there despite me not installing any texture packs whatsoever. What's my problem here, bros? This is literally driving me insane.

He's using L'hiver mod, which modifies a good deal of gameworld and adds a ton of shit on top of that.
It's not vanilla NotR.

Black Angel

Arcane
He's using L'hiver mod, which modifies a good deal of gameworld and adds a ton of shit on top of that.
It's not vanilla NotR.
Damn it, just confirmed that those path was, indeed, added by L'hiver. I just remembered I actually tried L'hiver's graphic only mod and passed through that path to Lobart's farm before uninstalling it because the mod is fucked up and messed with buildings positioning but not moving the objects, thus resulting in weird situations where beds and stacks of hay were placed weirdly outside of the barn and house.

Does no one finds it weird that the vanilla NotR doesn't already have that path? Because Lester himself said "if you continue going down that way, you'll find a farm before finally find the city", referring to when MC is going deeper into the woods.

Guys I've got one month of free time. I wish to experience Gothic 1 and 2.

So, tell me which mods you would suggest me to use (for both!).

Not even unofficial patches or high resolution fix/texture pack?

System Pack, like the post above says. It's the only one that is a must.

As for optional stuff:
G1 - Two texture packs, Freddy's and ThielHater's. I think they should be installed in that order but can't remember for sure now. They bring texture quality to more or less G2 level.
G2 - "Yet another unofficial patch" - fairly recent one, I used it for my playthrough. Fixes some bugs and also makes items descriptions more sensible. Also adds weapon reach values. No texture packs needed, default looks great.

For both games I recommend setting draw distance modifier to 10x in SystemPack.ini and also using alternate fov setting. Draw distance should cause no performance problems in G1 with in game sliders maxed, for G2 I recommend adjusting it from in game and keeping it at 10x in system pack. I got the most satisfying results like that. It tooks awesome with long views and no pop in. Except for NPCs and enemies of course. Also force Anisotropic Filtering + Supersampling and Multisampling from your GPU. There's also a way to configure inventory to display more columns and adjust item grouping order in G2 ini.

Last edited:

Keppo

Arbiter
I absolutely loved Gothic when i first played it, im trying replay it with Enhanced Edition patch right now, and idk i have hard time to enjoy it. Maybe its just me im not a fan of replaying videogames, waste of time u can spend on new game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom