Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Gothic turns 15 years

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Anyone tried to play this game recently? Got the Steam version years ago, tried it now but without the DX11 renderer patch it doesn't work at all and with the renderer it keeps crashing and freezing.

Just spend an hour trying to get this shit to work but no dice. Don't tell me the only way to replay my beloved G1 is to wait for that retarded remaster.
Have you installed the system pack? IIRC that's the only thing needed to get the first two games to run properly.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Anyone tried to play this game recently? Got the Steam version years ago, tried it now but without the DX11 renderer patch it doesn't work at all and with the renderer it keeps crashing and freezing.

Just spend an hour trying to get this shit to work but no dice. Don't tell me the only way to replay my beloved G1 is to wait for that retarded remaster.
It's more likely that the GOG version works. I have trouble running older games with Steam. I've double dipped on a few games because of this reason.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Have you installed the system pack? IIRC that's the only thing needed to get the first two games to run properly.
System pack? Nope. Just the unofficial patch, the player kit and the renderer. Ok, will try.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer

System pack? Nope. Just the unofficial patch, the player kit and the renderer. Ok, will try.
Here is a list of fixes you need. IIRC the game didn't run for me until I installed the system pack, but it was a smooth ride afterwards -- no crashes or other issues.

Danikas

Arcane
I posted about it literally today. Yes, it's useless and it looks terrible. I never liked the various visual mods for G1/G2, the original engine has this magical factor x that gets lost with mods.
The problem is not visuals but the fact that on my modern pc I cant go past 30 fps in vanilla while this worked at 60 fps.

Last edited:

JDR13

Arcane
I've been messing around with that DX11 mod lately, and it's pretty cool. The lighting and water in particular look great. Use it in conjunction with the texture pack by Artemiano. https://the-gaming-den.com/table/

It's not perfect yet by a longshot. I get the occasional crash, and some of the game's original FX (like blood) don't show up when you're running the mod. It'll be fantastic though once they get the kinks worked out.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
So my story with PB is this:

Played G1 shorty after release and I p. much hated it. It was too clunky, too ugly, too weird. And too actiony. Back then I still played mostly TB RPGs and strategies. Wrote off the Gothic brand for the next decade.

Then, around when Skyrim came out, I gave G2 vanilla a spin. What a fucking treat that was. PB became one of my favourite devs instantly. And after playing and replaying all their other games over the years I decided it's time to actually go back go G1 and see what's what.

Now I've finished my first proper playthrough and well, what do you think. It was a blast. I mean G2 is a more developed, feature rich game (I really missed alchemy in G1) but I think G1 does a few things better.

I liked the fact that two-handed is a straight up upgrade to one-handed and not a separate category. In G2 you have this weird "dilemma" - do you pump one-handed OR two-haded even tho two-handed is clearly superior all around. I also like the endgame more in G1. I mean the final boss fight was pissing me off, with the boss and the templar retard stunlocking me with their spells, but that's just PB standard fare. Their endgames are never anything to write home about. But I REALLY fucking dislike the later chapters in G2 where it's just a mindless grind through mountains of Orc meat. At least in G1 you put on your Orc friendly banner and just breeze through their lands. I also liked the story more in G1. MUCH more. I p. much hated the plot in G2.

Oh and also IIRC Gothic 2 (or did they change it with NotR?) has this weird damage mechanics where only the crits count or some such. In G1 damage math is much cleaner and simpler. Too bad the controls in G1 are so clunky (you get used to them but G2 controls are so much better), there's no alchemy, all the utility skills like lockpicking, acrobatics or pickpocketing are completely useless and there are so few sidequests. Seriously, what's up with the sidequests in G1? From chapter 3 on there are like two new sidequests. You only follow the main storyline for the last 60% of the game.

Anyway, it was a treat. Now I want to replay G3 altho....I did love my first G3 playthrough a lot but remembering how half-assed and unfinished it all felt...Maybe I'll go for another Elex run instead.

Danikas

Arcane
I just installed it together with L hiver mod will see how it will work in the long run but the game looks pretty nice.

zC3iFnC.png

YyMvGpG.png
yHqGfWj.png

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Played G1 shorty after release and I p. much hated it. It was too clunky, too ugly, too weird.
I thought G1 looked fine by 2001 standards, especially considering it had a pretty big open map, NPCs with schedules and day-night cycle.
Back then it was the age of ugly early 3D. Gothic, Wizardry 8, Wizards & Warriors, Arc Fatalis, Gabriel Knight 3...great games but ugly compared to beautiful 2D graphics of the 1990s everybody grew to love.

I'd say adventures were killed mainly by going 3D for example.

Today I like the clean, easy engine in G1/G2 a lot. Never needed any texture mods.

garren

Arcane
Patron
I hated the jump to early 3d graphics even back then, but I'd say some games still managed to look ok and do so even today. Gothic 1 was a little bare, gothic 2 looks pretty ok even today imo.

You want ugly, try the jump from baldur's gate to NWN1, holy shit, the playability and beautiful art in BGs was a thousand times better than that ugly clunkyass shit that was NWN1. I hated it and still do.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
gothic 2 looks pretty ok even today imo.

Yeah but I think G3 is the real master of good aging. This shit came out in 2006 and on max settings still holds up incredibly well. The comparison to the contemporaries is positively hilarious. For instance Oblivion looks extremely lulzy today.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Just got a Gothic itch and got the latest fixes... but the framerate is all kinds of crazy; should I just leave it locked so it doesn’t feel as janky?
And after playing for awhile the graphics try to go crazy and I have to restart to clear it up
Otherwise... oh so fucking good, easily on my top 10 RPGs

Last edited:
I posted about it literally today. Yes, it's useless and it looks terrible. I never liked the various visual mods for G1/G2, the original engine has this magical factor x that gets lost with mods.

Fuck that DX11 crap, it actually looks worse to me because I can't force proper AA with it. I prefer the original graphics of G1/2 with draw distance multiplier at 10x and a bunch of supersampling forced from nvidia inspector. Especially G2 with that draw distance looks glorious.

T. Reich

Arcane
I prefer DX9 as well, because DX11 IMO adds a lot of superfluous visuals. This also makesthe original character models stand out like a sore thumb.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Just joined the New Camp and tiding up some things before starting Chapter 2
I usually have a “Safe Save” made before deciding which faction to join with pretty good level (11) skill points (70) and all starter Quests done in case I wanted to skip the beginning of the game for future play though but just spent 15 hours replaying from the beginning and this game is just so great, the sense of progression you get from running from everything to scouring for you first proper sword and getting to learn how to use it... it is simply fantastic
Been playing for 2 days and having a blast

Last edited:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Just completed Gothic and thought I'd jot down some of my impressions.

I originally got the game as a gift from my gaming buddy back in the days. I tried it, but didn't like the forced 3rd person view and the UI, so I only played about 15 minutes. Back then I had more of a life, and in addition much of my gaming time was spent on PB(E)M games, plus it was right in the middle of the best era of PC gaming, so it was easy to discard Gothic.
But when I started playing games chronologically Gothic was one of the games I was most looking forward to giving another chance.

Playing chronologically it's the best looking game I've played so far, thanks to the SystemPack which I had to install to at all be able to play the game (boxed version, not GOG). SP allows 1980x1080 while the original was 1024x786 IIRC.
Especially dark areas, swamps and the night time looks very nice indeed.

I think Gothic must have been a strong influence on Morrowind, or what do you guys think?
The graphics are similar, there's the open world, the mines, the Barrier/Ghostfence.

It was really too bad Morrowind did not copy the behaviour of NPCs (or wildlife for that matter), though, and ended up with encyclopedias standing around all day instead. That's where I think Gothic really excels compared to other games. The NPC schedules are not nearly as ambitious as those of Oblivion, but they work, and combined with all the different animations, it greatly adds to the atmosphere of the game. I really loved the gathering around the bonfire at night in the Old Camp when one of the diggers would start playing the guitar. Or how they would draw weapon if entering their huts.

But I must say after listening to the endless inane chatter of the same three lines, I really don't see why the NPC dialogue in Oblivion is so problematic. At least in Oblivion it can be entertaining; in Gothic it's just gets annoying after a while.
Also, for all the talk of dumbing down weapon skills in Oblivion, it still has more skills than Gothic.

Technically Gothic is superior to the TES games, although of course the TES games are bigger and with more content.
Consider just such a mundane thing as rain. This would not be possible in Morrowind, for example:
olelatF.jpg

Instead it would have rained through the overhang, and once inside a hut the rain outside would magically stop.

Gothic reminds me somewhat of Evil Islands too, which is the previous "new" CRPG on my play list that I really enjoyed.
Both have open world, you start as a weakling and have to choose your early battles carefully, and you are constantly searching for new weapons with which to beat much more powerful enemies walking around in armour you can still only dream of. And you end part one with very unimpressive gear.
But I think Gothic's Chapter 1 was rather boring and lasted too long, but I guess that was partly due to me postponing joining a faction as long as possible. So too much time spent pussyfooting around when you can hardly kill anything, and it took a while getting to know all the NPCs.

It was only in Chapter 2 the game really grabbed me, and then things really snowballed when I got better gear.
In Chapter 3 it was like the game kind of changed nature, from an open world "simulator" to a railroaded story game, and there was no longer any choices&consequences or role playing, the game offering little dialogue choices. What if I wanted that Orc Amulet for myself, for example, instead of giving it to the last Fire Mage?

The game also became more buggy. Apparantly you are supposed to get back to Old Camp during the chapter the Old Mine collapses to trigger the guards outside the barricaded gates. Using the Teleport to Fire Mages spell in the two last chapters the cutscene doesn't make much sense, and when you free Stone the smith he doesn't go to his smithy as he's supposed to.
The final battle was also confusing. Are the novices supposed to just sit there, for example?

So, a good game that could have been great if the beginning was not so slow, and the story so railroaded (no C&C/role playing and leading to some weird situations) after Chapter 2.

The good:
Graphics, atmosphere, writing, NPC behaviour.

The so-so:
Exploration, since there's really not much to find. Not a single armour until suddenly Ponytail Dude says to Xardas that he needs to find a better armour. Didn't he learn from Chapter 1 that there are no armours to find?
Also, the game assumes you don't explore too widely, since you will be sent to those "unknown" parts later.

Good setting and initial story line, before it becomes too railroaded and goes into "The Chosen One" territory.

Rather crude skill system. I like that you get different animations from learning melee weapon skills, but overall a rather boring system which I'm sure will lead to most characters ending up the same. The Acrobatics skill was rather annoying; why not leap normally instead of tumbling around every time?
And no Swimming skill?

Simplistic combat. Except for some Golems only being affected by hammers, the only weapon types that have different effects are melee and missile. No crushing vs slashing or piercing for example. Also disappointed that the spinning around attack with two handers only affect one enemy. For once I'd like to see a Hero being able to mow down several weak enemies in one melee attack. I still only know of the old Gold Box games that does this.

The bad:
Very limited equipment. No helmets and shields, only armour, melee weapon, missiles weapon, one amulet and two rings. And most of the best equipment comes from shops and only becomes gradually available with each chapter.

Directional sounds for enemies seem to be absent. At least I had problems judging where enemies were located by sound.

So overall a strong :4/5:
In the end I actually slightly prefer Evil Islands despite its lower production values. Gothic is really good in the (for me at least) non-essential areas (graphics, atmosphere, writing), while it is somewhat weaker in what really matters to me: game mechanics.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom