Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grand Tactician: The Civil War

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Seven Years War was a bit clunky and the world map gameplay was a bit obtuse, but overall a good game with fun battles. Looking forward to this.

manassassas

Novice
I'm getting suitably excited for this (I've been following it for a while but didn't realise it was so close to release).

The whole game will hinge on how well the AI can cope with a large real-time open strategic map - does it carry out or respond to deep cavalry raids, which were common in the Civil War, for example - but it seems like a labour of love so I expect the devs will support it and respond to players for quite some time.

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
Can't wait for this. Pretty much the last title I give a shit about this year (at least the one that will get released this year). Tons of features. European intervention, slave emancipation for both sides, naval blockades, armament and industry, political events, etc. If they deliver on what's promised it will be the GOAT civil war game of all time.

But my hype engine now has a governor on it. Been disappointed too many times before. If it can just be similar to Ageod's Civil War games and add in a few bonuses and new features, it'll be a win.

vota DC

Augur
All America in real time or a single scenario at time like classic RTS?
Anyway I like this approach, usually civil war games are tactical like Sid Meier's Gettysburg or turn based or grand strategy.
I hope you can use submarines and improve them if they have success, too bad Cussler Is already dead.

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
Anyway I like this approach, usually civil war games are tactical like Sid Meier's Gettysburg or turn based or grand strategy.
I hope you can use submarines and improve them if they have success, too bad Cussler Is already dead.

Grand strategy with zoomable maps covering most of 19th century America. Looks like regions/cities can be interacted with plus a national policy menu to set tax rates, recruit troops, etc. Armies can be moved around the larger map for operations, and when two sides enter battle you can zoom in to a tactical map and take over individual units like in Total War, Gettysburg, Scourge of War, etc. Not sure if it will be strictly RTS with constant time motion or if you can pause/TBS style during campaigns. Maybe a little of both.

manassassas

Novice

Grand strategy with zoomable maps covering most of 19th century America. Looks like regions/cities can be interacted with plus a national policy menu to set tax rates, recruit troops, etc. Armies can be moved around the larger map for operations, and when two sides enter battle you can zoom in to a tactical map and take over individual units like in Total War, Gettysburg, Scourge of War, etc. Not sure if it will be strictly RTS with constant time motion or if you can pause/TBS style during campaigns. Maybe a little of both.

Yup, the same dude made Seven Years War which featured almost everything you just mentioned.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron

Yup, the same dude made Seven Years War which featured almost everything you just mentioned.

Seven Years War is a pretty decent game, quite complex economy simulation + decent field battles. The only problem is that even at the highest speed the game crawls at a snail's pace.

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I'm skeptical of this approach because Sid Meier tried this and decided it didn't work. It had the "Covert Action problem" where you get out of the tactical battle and you can't remember what you were doing on the strategic layer. That's why he made Gettysburg focus on a single battle. No Greater Glory was pretty good at doing the strategic level and I really don't understand why nobody will just do a ripoff of that but a little bit better. But whatever, I'll take what I can get.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
It had the "Covert Action problem" where you get out of the tactical battle and you can't remember what you were doing on the strategic layer.

I've been playing Total War games since 2004 and never once had that problem.
Most TW have the reverse problem:
It has way too much uninteresting stuff you are forced to do between battles.

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane

Good news: Grand Tactician releases next month.

Bad news: Early Access.

Still, I'll take what I can get. I'm not getting any younger. Just... all these damn early access titles. It's like going to the store and only finding shelves full of flour, sugar, yeast, and salt. Yeah, it can be food and most likely will be turned into food. But can't I just buy a box of pizza rolls once in a while that are quick and tasty and ready in 40 seconds?

Luka-boy

Arcane
Apparently codes are going out to youtubers in a few days, so we should have some more info and gameplay videos soon.

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
Wow. And I thought AGEOD's Civil War games were in-depth. And this is early access. Damn. Next few weeks are going to go slow.

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
Preview streamers all seem to be dealing with some lag on the campaign map. Should be an easy bug to fix. Maybe a memory leak or problem loading cache data.

That army creation though. Build brigades, drag and drop for proper OOB builds, even uniform and weapon selection. This is one sexy looking game.

manassassas

Novice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgL1eN1rKaY

Another gameplay video showing early stages of the campaign.

The game *looks* good but it has some of the AI issues I was worried about.

See the battle which starts about half way through the video...the AI attacks an army of 57,000 with 17,000 troops, and even then the 17,000 arrive at the battlefield piecemeal so that the first two brigades get chewed up at leisure before the rest of the army arrives.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom