Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grand Theft Auto V FIVE Thread

• Thread starter A horse of course
  • Start date

bussinrounds

Augur
Why the fuck do you need big bucks anyway ? Is there actually any shit worth buying ?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
prayer-spoilers.thumbnail.jpg

I can also somewhat agree with The Escapist's complaints about the main characters being unlikeable, Franklin's a blank slate character at best, Michael's attempts at being a dogged nice guy are kinda muted by the fact that he's a self-centred, lying prick most of the time, and Trevor's pretty much self-explanatory.

They're criminals, obviously they're not role models. But apart from that I found them very likeable, not enough to Emotionally Engage(tm) me but I want to know more about them. Well, Franklin indeed looks like he's "just there", but he's a beginner, which is kind of a blank slate by definition.

Menckenstein said:

You can see individual wrinkles on the ballsack, but the shirt is a blurry mess. Nice priorities thuuuuuuuur

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Property is mostly fun because it unlocks more stuff to do with the 'manager' missions. Felt like Vice all over again. Plus I do enjoy holding up gas stations and shops for some reason.

Multi-headed Cow

Realized this was a free Xbox Live gold weekend. Shame I can't take pictures without gold, it's sorta fun. Also looked at GTA Online and wasn't too wild about it, the singleplayer's still where it's at.

0_0.jpg

0_0.jpg

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
I guess you didn't have any earlier saves to load up ? Say you're not sure, how would you know if a previous save was prior to the patch anyways ? Is there a way to check ?

Still waiting to fuck around online till I beat the game. Especially since what I was hearing how it was so unstable so far.

Have you played online at all Volrath ?
Yeah. It's pretty fun when it's working. Just fucking around in free roam, holding up shops, doing races, being a general dick.

Dexter

Arcane
http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com...ft-auto-breaks-six-sales-world-records-51900/

Guinness World Records can today confirm that the launch of Grand Theft Auto V has broken six new world records including the Highest revenue generated by an entertainment product in 24 hours and the Fastest entertainment property to gross $1 billion.

Released on 17 September 2013 for the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 consoles, the fifteenth title in the Grand Theft Auto series, GTA V, was the first main entry since Grand Theft Auto IV in 2008.

Developed by Rockstar North and published by Rockstar Games, the critically acclaimed open world action-adventure video game sold 11.21 million units in its first 24 hours, and generated revenue of $815.7 million (£511.8 million), going on to reach $1 billion (£624.45 million) in sales after just three days on September 20 2013.

The figure smashes records previously held by the Call of Duty videogame series and blockbuster movies including The Avengers and Avatar.

Guinness World Records Editor-in-Chief, Craig Glenday, said: "GTA totally deserves to be recognized as an icon of modern British culture, and we're thrilled to be able to feature the game in the record books. Gaming is no longer a niche hobby, as GTA 5 has proved, and how exciting that it's taken on the might of Hollywood and won! I'm also doubly proud as a Dundonian to welcome this home-grown series back into the Guinness World Records book.”

Full list of Grand Theft Auto V record-breaking achievements:

1. Best-selling action-adventure videogame in 24 hours
2. Best-selling videogame in 24 hours
3. Fastest entertainment property to gross $1 billion
4. Fastest videogame to gross $1 billion
5. Highest grossing videogame in 24 hours
6. Highest revenue generated by an entertainment product in 24 hours
7. Most viewed trailer for an action-adventure videogame

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
0_0.jpg

The online mode is really fun now that the majority of bugs have been ironed out. Even better when you have a friend to play. We've been having serious fun doing some Bonny&Clyde thing, putting on masks and robbing stores, chasing of the cops after that.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Good to hear it'll be a reasonable timeframe. I was worried they would do a next-gen version for next Christmas and delay the PC version until then.

Still, I recently had my bluray player stop working (first-gen) so I might go ahead an get a PS3 as a replacement. More for weeaboo RPGs and platformers than this game, but it seems the bundle console is a much better value than a normal PS3 due to HDD size.

nihil

Augur
Project: Eternity
Huh, something just occurred to me. I wonder if they intentionally made control over the characters' movement sluggish so that online animations could be smoother and more latency-friendly.

I feel that's the case in most games, but not just for lag due to online play, but also TV input lag. Many new games have so sluggish animation start-ups that you won't notice it, but if you play a snappy fighting game or something on a modern Samsung TV, even with game mode on, it's not a very good experience.

bussinrounds

Augur
Huh, something just occurred to me. I wonder if they intentionally made control over the characters' movement sluggish so that online animations could be smoother and more latency-friendly.

I feel that's the case in most games, but not just for lag due to online play, but also TV input lag. Many new games have so sluggish animation start-ups that you won't notice it, but if you play a snappy fighting game or something on a modern Samsung TV, even with game mode on, it's not a very good experience.
Yea, certain games you really notice it. I tried playing Hot Shots Golf (older style golf game with the 3 click meter style) on several new LCDs (Samsung was one of them) and the input lag was so horrible it made the game virtually unplayable.

It's perfect on my plasma. Glad I did my research before buying a tv.

nihil

Augur
Project: Eternity
It's perfect on my plasma. It's perfect on my plasma. Glad I did my research before buying a tv.

Me too. Got a Sony LCD that has the lowest input lag on the market.

I don't think it's about plasma/LCD, though. Most likely, processing is the culprit, and most vendors don't bother making a pure pass-through mode. Even game mode sucks on most TVs.

Last edited:

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Yeah, most TVs do tons of image processing that adds display lag. That's why many have "gaming" modes that let you turn some/all of it off.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I just got my new blu-ray player PS3 and got this game along with it. Is it me or is the game insanely dark with crushed blacks? Videoes on the internet don't seem as bad. Only thing I saw on the internet was to make sure I had RGB set to limited, which I do. I guess I need to calibrate a specific set of settings for games? Ugh. Also the aliasing is insane.

Game looks pretty decent outside of that, though. And seems fun.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
For me it was the opposite, I had to tone down the brightness of my TV for the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom