Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grand Theft Auto V - Released on PC

racofer

Thread Incliner
I aways liked open world games, the so called GTA (III) clones (which are open world games with random pedestrians/npcs).

In this category I include assassin's creed series, that share the same style of gameplay, but I exclude skyrim/gothic due to the fact they're different enough, though they have an open world aproach.

There's something in GTA games that really is great when compared to its competitors, even when some of these are better in many aspects. I can't pinpoint what exactly makes GTA more appealing, but mostly I believe is attention to detail to everything in that world. Production values.

GTA 4 may be bland (and barren as mentioned before) but it's rendition of liberty city fews more like NY city than prototype 1 and 2, for example, a game that actually is set in Manhattan. Not a single building in GTA looks copy pasted. I've reinstalled Just cause 2 and it's beatiful... but visuals are too generic and repetitve.

I've also played watchdogs and sleeping dogs, and they're great too, and both has all the detailed cityscape, varied cars... but something seems off, next to a GTA game. I believe is that missions are more varied in GTA games, while in its clones, there's aways lot's of missions that are just the same.

I still think San Andreas is the top GTA game considering content, but GTA V got close.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
No, GTA V is a LOT more story driven. You know, Cinematic Emotional Engagements and whatnot. All the side missions are basically 2 Fast 2 Furious
So the best idea would be stay away from it until fully patched, play Yakuza 3, and 4, and then enjoy it properly.

(I should play Disgaea 4 as well before they would patch/crack it properly.)

BTW how is story in comparison to Yakuza 3, and 4? More story driven, Yakuza 4 is story driven, and you have pachinko on top of that.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
No, GTA V is a LOT more story driven. You know, Cinematic Emotional Engagements and whatnot. All the side missions are basically 2 Fast 2 Furious
So the best idea would be stay away from it until fully patched, play Yakuza 3, and 4, and then enjoy it properly.

I doubt patches would change the core gameplay.

No in fact I'm sure patches won't change the core gameplay. Mods maybe, but with Rockstar being as allergic to the PC Master Race as they are, I'm guessing this is the most mod-unfriendly game in the history of the world. In other words, you're stuck with the game as is, minus of course a few minor bugfixes.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Naw, I just totally hate even smallest hiccup, crash, or something, and I want to play it as polished as I can. I had a nasty crash in PS3 game yesterday (atelier Rorona, and atelier Totory is alegedly also slightly prone to occasional crashes), and I HATE CRASHES IN CONSOLE GAMES. They are inexcusable in PC games. As long as there would be a sufficiently psychotic character I'd like it.

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
Main story is nice but they really hyped up all the heist methodology, what with crew members gaining skills for example, but in the end you only do 3 heists and one of them is pretty much a tutorial. Game should've included more heists, optional ones, so that the whole mechanic wasn't just lost after you're done reuniting Michael and Trevor and all that crap.

I think the idea is that GTA Online is an extension of the story mode, and that's where you can experience the mechanic more fully.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I think everyone who expect players to be online to experience the rest of the game, online with these jerks, should have forced psychiatric examination.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Main story is nice but they really hyped up all the heist methodology, what with crew members gaining skills for example, but in the end you only do 3 heists and one of them is pretty much a tutorial. Game should've included more heists, optional ones, so that the whole mechanic wasn't just lost after you're done reuniting Michael and Trevor and all that crap.

I think the idea is that GTA Online is an extension of the story mode, and that's where you can experience the mechanic more fully.

It's true, but the crew skill-ups mechanic, which they tout around in-game quite a bit, doesn't apply to the multiplayer portion of the game. It's shallow, compared to what you'd imagine your crew leveling up as you use them would be.

SoupNazi

Honestly it's a vast improvement over the RSSC that was included in GTAIV. You log in once and then unless you play Online you don't have to see it at all.

Astral Rag

Arcane
Indeed, after registering your key online you can play single-player without being connected to the net, at least I can with my non-Steam copy.

Last edited:

upwardlymobile

forum posting consultant
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Indeed, after registering your key online you can play single-player without being connected to the net, at least I can with my non-Steam copy.
does 'non-steam copy' mean you borrowed it or is there actually some way to legally buy this without infecting my computer with steam?

Astral Rag

Arcane
does 'non-steam copy' mean you borrowed it or is there actually some way to legally buy this without infecting my computer with steam?

AFAIK GTA V only comes with Steam DRM if you get it on Steam, I purchased a GTA 5 key from my favourite Brazilian online store, physical copies are also Steam-free.

Last edited:

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I never really had that much issues with RSSC with GTA IV. The bullshitting part was the Windows Live that worked only once ina moon and when it didn't work you couldn't save or access save files.

RSSC is way worse than GFWL in my experience. Never had problems with GFWL in GTAIV (or any other game really) but RSCC was a major source of pain for me in Max Payne 3.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
It's a fun game, but once and only once. This is the one GTA I can honestly say I never want to re-play.
Wait what? You want to replay GTA IV? I never even managed to finish that turd ONCE! It was the first time I actually realized that there is something like "too long" for a game. The protagonist was despicable, the constant bowling harassment was annoying, there was nothing aside from my misguided OCD that could kept my hooked.

Not enough for this one...

I found Nico to be way more enjoyable character than any of the GTA V protagonists. Yes he had few scenes where he reminisces horrors of war and nearly everyone here seems traumatized by them but mostly he was a pretty funny and likeable dude.
Also I'm getting pretty tired of the fact that "character interaction" in GTA usually boils down to bunch of douchebags insulting each other for extended periods of time. Shit's getting old after so many games.

Last edited:

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
GTA IV nearly killed my interest in the whole series, and the characters and the writing certainly played a part in it. Nico was just a mood-killer that was totally out of place, his brother was worse, and the only somewhat likeable characters I remember from the game were the Irish dudes. GTA V's main characters are great, though, all of them psychopats (some more, some less) and a whole lot of fun, and they definitely fit the game much better than Nico did, or any other GTA protagonist since Tommy Vercetti for that matter. I think the writing is miles better than in GTA IV as well (even though the game still has the occasional need to explain its own jokes to the audience when it comes to the "satire" part of the game), and the dialogue is generally much more entertaining and fun, especially because there's some actual chemistry between the main characters and it isn't just some random assholes throwing insults at each other. I remember getting kind of annoyed with some of the banter in the previous games, but it hasn't really happened in GTA V save for Lamar who needs to die in a fire.

chotread

Educated
GTA V's main characters are great, tho
REALLY?! I thought it was enough to play a loser from kazakhstan or whatever. now i can choose between 3 different losers! the best they can do at this point is to introduce a silent protagonist again. the writing is only a few lines away from being Carth Onasi.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
the writing is only a few lines away from being Carth Onasi.
Agreed. Carth Onasi was the first thing I thought of when Trevor was scraping bits of the biker guy's brains from his boots, or when Michael sent an entire house tumbling down from a hill because he was so fucking pissed, or when Franklin... uh... Franklin... stole cars and murdered hundreds of people without ever sparing a single thought on the misery of other people, or something. These guys might be serial losers, but they're fun to play as and they get what the GTA series is all about.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Niko's a good character, one that'd suit a more serious stand-alone crime game. I just don't think he really suits a Grand Theft Auto game. I dunno, riding to a mission house while hearing the WHACKY AND ZANY radio shows only to have him arrive and talk about the horrific shit he did during the Bosnian wars while questioning the nature of the human soul felt like a really weird change in mood.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
Rockstar Banning Single Player Mods In Grand Theft Auto V PC

Grand-Theft-Auto-V2.jpg

It looks like people playing the single player portion of Grand Theft Auto on PC are getting banned too.

A lot of players have left negative reviews for Grand Theft Auto V on the game’s official listing on Steam. Some of them were banned for using mods on GTA Online, but others were banned using mods while playing the single player mode.

One Steam user named Sumner said:

“Single player is where it’s at! No wannabe ‘Rockstars’ to ruin your fun and give you a ban for the simplest things… Apparently there are people getting banned for modding in SP.”

Another user named Sangre said:

“If you thought you were going to get a GTA optimized for PC, forget it. Rockstar once again is doing everything in there power to stop single player mods and 3rd party patches, despite all of the aspects where the game is lacking”

Other users were more specific as some players have been using a mod called “FOV” in Grand Theft Auto V. FOV stands for “Field of Vision” and is a mod that allows PC gamers to fit the game properly on certain monitors.

Steam user Ronald McRegan explained it perfectly:

“Being the “definitive edition” I expected it to take into account the strengths of PC gaming, including the ability to mod games. The worst example of this, and the main reason I gave it a negative review is the FOV mods. The default FOV is not natural for PC gamers, even at maximum settings it’s only able to see half the windscreen and half the side window when driving, and you have little awareness of your surroundings in first-person. If you try to fix this yourself with simple mods, your account is banned without warning for an unspecified period of time.”

Most of the negative reviews for Grand Theft Auto V were made recently. Hopefully Rockstar stops banning people for using simple graphical mods used during single player.
-----------

GTA V PC Mods Officially Blocked by the End User License Agreement

As we reported yesterday, many players have found themselves getting banned from GTA Online for using mods. This would be understandable, but the mods in question only impacted the single player portion of GTA V, leaving GTA Online untouched. Many wondered why Rockstar would do this, and what justification they had to ban players for using mods, however it seems that the End User License Agreement (EULA) that players agree to explicitly prohibits the use of any mods within the game.

The specific text reads “You agree not to: reverse engineer, decompile, disassemble, display, perform, prepare derivative works based on, or otherwise modify the Software, in whole or in part”. This part of the EULA has been used as a reason for many of the bans that players have been reporting over the last few days.

Normally this section of an EULA would be standard stuff, with the developer choosing to ignore it in favor of a bustling mod community. However, Rockstar seems to be leveraging it to get players out who simply wanted to change their single player experience. The big question is, how long has this text been present in the EULA. Many online are reporting that this was a recent change, but the notice at the top lists the last revision to the document as October of 2013. Checking the page’s source info yields a change as recent as this morning though, but there is no way to tell what that change was. It could have been simple formatting or some other innocuous alteration.

The fact is that the EULA now explicitly prohibits the use of mods, no matter what mode of GTA V you are in. It is still up to Rockstar to decide if they want to enforce this policy though. They are currently deciding to enforce it fairly heavily, but they could easily change course if enough fans speak out against the bans.

663.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom