Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

GRAVEN - dark fantasy first person action puzzler from 3D Realms - now available on Early Access

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by geno, Mar 4, 2020.

1. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Oh, this is releasing on Early Access today:

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1371690/view/3041597566503848066

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • decline decline x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Curratum Magister

Curratum
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Curratum Magister

Curratum
    Game is 10% off on both Epic store and Steam, but on Steam it costs 18.89 EUR and on Epic it's just under 15 EUR.

Schreiber, pls...

^ Top  
  4. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    • gimme dem dolla bills gimme dem dolla bills x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. geno Learned

geno
    Must be something about the regional pricing, for me it's also 19€ in Epic.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Curratum Magister

Curratum
    Schreiber is in power-moderator mode, locking topics left and right, it's hilarious.

Might grab it anyway, I got a further 10% discount for owning Wrath and Ion Fury, so why not... I mean, it has to be EXCEPTIONALLY bad not to be worth that money and I don't think they can fuck it up so badly.

• WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Bad Sector Arcane Patron

Bad Sector
    Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex
    The comments in there make me think Sweeney is on to something for not having forums in EGL. How hard can it be to understand that:
    • Current EA version: 5% of final game
    • Last EA version: 30% of final game
    • Final version: 100% of final game
    If they want to avoid spoiling people during the EA period so they do not end up playing a buggy game in piecemeal fashion, it makes sense to keep most of the game hidden.

I do not understand the point of such posts, if someone doesn't want to play an unfinished game why dont they just ignore EA and wait for it to be done? I never bought an EA game, just add them to the pile (wishlist) and wait until they're done, it isn't like there aren't 1894598124 other games out there :-P

^ Top  
  8. randir14 Augur

randir14
    I bought it because I liked the demo so much. Now I'm expecting it to sit in early access for 2+ years like Ion Fury and Wrath.

• Despair Despair x 2
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Curratum Magister

Curratum
    Top 3 reviews already negative. People complaining about inconsistent pixel density and detail in the textures. That's what you get when you make "procedural pixel art".

Always trying to take shortcuts instead of hiring another texture artist. If you're going to make a retro game, make it properly. It's not like it costs 10 bucks either. I can forgive this sort of thing if it's a two-man indie dev (even though Amid Evil is a 2-man indie dev) but when you're 3D Realms, you should keep face.

Feels like Ion Fury is the only good retro throwback game that came out of Nu3DR. Wrath isn't looking particularly promising so far, even though it's not trash, just not very good either.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Fedora Master Arcane Patron Edgy

Fedora Master
    The idea of EA was for people to help find bugs and balance issues. What's the point of only accessing 5 to 30% of the game then?

• gimme dem dolla bills gimme dem dolla bills x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Bad Sector Arcane Patron

Bad Sector
    Presumably that 30% isn't 30% of the code but 30% of the levels and assets that make up the story, you do not need to have all levels in a game to see if there are bugs or balance issues in a game. Sure there can be some scripting bugs in the parts you do not get to access but most bugs, combat and balancing issues are apparent in games long before you finish one third of them.

It isn't like the game will stop being an FPS (or whatever Graven is) at the 30% mark and become a point and click adventure game.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Curratum Magister

Curratum
    The thing is, the majority of the content you never see may turn out to be of much lower quality overall compared to the 30% you can see in EA.

I'm more against dropping surprise big chinks on players than slowly spoiling the whole game for them in EA. I mean, you know what you sign up for...

^ Top  
  13. Latelistener Arcane

Latelistener
    Don't buy it. It's shit. I've played the demo. These guys are like those cooks who have all the ingredients but can't cook for shit due to the lack of experience and a sense of taste.

Just because they're trying to mimic Hexen and other games in the same vein shouldn't give it a free pass.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. DeepOcean Arcane

DeepOcean
    The demo was cool up to the moment the combat started, the combat looks like repetitive shit with uninspired encounters.

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  15. Curratum Magister

Curratum
    I didn't buy it, reading posts on the hub and reviews, it's too dreary even if I WANT TO BELIEVE. The so-called early access launch also only seems to have a small bit of content more than the demo, which is hilarious.

• incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Dyskolos Cipher

Dyskolos
    I take it I should just get Ion Fury instead if this has put me in the mood for a revival piece.

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Bad Sector Arcane Patron

Bad Sector
    But the same applies if you buy the game while it is in early access - whatever comes after the moment you buy it can be bad. If you are concerned about such a thing why buy the EA version in the first place?

^ Top  
  18. Curratum Magister

Curratum
    Ion Fury also has an expansion just around the corner and it will offer "remix" mode, integrating the new enemies and new gun in the main campaign.

The game is not perfect, none of the retro revival shooters are, but it's pretty damn fun, all things considered. I played through it twice and have 37 hours on Steam - more than I have in Dusk and Amid Evil, which are the only other "big" retro shooters that are fully released.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • meh meh x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • popamole popamole x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Zboj Lamignat Arcane

Zboj Lamignat
    Overload is hands down the best "retro revival shooter". Not like it's some big achievement, but it's the only one of these games that checks all the following three boxes at the same time:
    1. Genuinely good, enjoyable game.
    2. Does actually play like games it's supposed to emulate.
    3. Looks like a professional product: nice graphics, music, atmosphere, runs and controls well. Doesn't look like diarrhea or a mod for an old game.

Of course, it's a very specific kind of shooter, so if you don't like Descent and Descent-likes then tough luck.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Curratum Magister

Curratum
    Overload was nice as well, true. Enjoyed it quite a bit. Difficulty spikes for no reason here and there and some very cheap enemies that force you to learn their spawns / locations and cheese even before you hit the highest difficulties, but it is what it is. Descent had Drillers so...

I will only disagree on your last point. Even though Overload had "mosern" visuals, I found them lacking in a number of places and just a bit "cheap" and bland. It wasn't a bad-looking game, just the texture work looked a little too sterile and plain in places.

^ Top  
  21. HansDampf Arcane

HansDampf
    Cheap enemies? Most of the hitscan in Overload are just very fast projectiles. There is no Driller bs like in Descent. Overload is also more generous with health.

^ Top  
  22. vibehunter Educated

vibehunter
    Ugh, another one to take off the wishlist I guess.

• incline incline x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1371690/view/3019080202260479063

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1371690/view/3005571306978602077

Last edited: Jul 6, 2021
    • No No x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.