Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GRAVEN - dark fantasy first person action puzzler from 3D Realms

DraQ

Arcane
Hexen is much better than Heretic, but could use some dress-up and sense of direction with it's "puzzles", instead of them just being switch hunts.

Agreed, the level design is unnecessarily obtuse but I do like the hub-based design.
Level design is better than Heretic and conveys fantasy themes pretty well.
What is obtuse is the whole find switch->pull switch->run around entire hub to find what changed->repeat cycle.
Even going Hexen II style faux adventure would have worked better.

OctavianRomulus

Learned
Hexen is much better than Heretic, but could use some dress-up and sense of direction with it's "puzzles", instead of them just being switch hunts.

Agreed, the level design is unnecessarily obtuse but I do like the hub-based design.
What is obtuse is the whole find switch->pull switch->run around entire hub to find what changed->repeat cycle.

That's what I meant by obtuse. You pull a switch and have no idea what it does, in which of the maps. Then you do this 30 more times.

Jezal_k23

I agree that it doesn't have to be a switch hunt. But I'd want to actually have to search for whatever I'm looking for like Hexen 1, and the path to it shouldn't be completely linear. But perhaps don't be as obnoxious as the egyptian hub in Hexen 2. Gotta strike a balance there.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Btw, i remember reading that 3D Realms wanted to finish original 2001 build of Duke Nukem Forever, which means they have engineers who can work on UE1.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik

That's what I meant by obtuse. You pull a switch and have no idea what it does, in which of the maps. Then you do this 30 more times.

'Switch chasers' is the term. Heretic/Hexen are common examples.

Boleskine

Arcane
Enjoy an MTV Cribs style look at 3D Realms & Slipgate's office, plus some footage of unreleased game prototypes (including SiN 2 running in Doom 3's id Tech 4 engine).

A horse of course

Enjoy an MTV Cribs style look at 3D Realms & Slipgate's office, plus some footage of unreleased game prototypes (including SiN 2 running in Doom 3's id Tech 4 engine).

i'd prefer them to stick to eduke32, not this faux retro on unity.

Nobody in 2001 marketed their FPS looking like that, ffs.

edit: In the video they specifically say it was meant to look like 1997-1999 3d graphics.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lemming42

Arcane
That looks so ugly. What's with so many of these recent FPS games having intentionally awful visuals.

It's far worse when you use a modern engine and then just make it look like total fuck. At least Ion Fury was actually on a version of the Build engine. If you're going to make a circa 2000 FPS, please for fuck's sake at least use UE1 or something.

Or better yet, just ditch the whole faux-retro aesthetic.

This will be great if they sort out the flat textures and texture warping weirdness. That game looks like a PS1 style game and not a 90's PC FPS game. It's gone a bit too far with the textures.

Last edited by a moderator:

geno

Savant
EDIT: Nevermind, this is actually his own project, not related to 3DRealms. He's making this and also working on Ghostrunners.

And this is his profile pic
1500x500

And before someone says Hexen, Hexen 2 was from 1997, not 98

Last edited:

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
So it's an UE4 game with modern postprocessing effects, modern lighting, modern physics, and intentionally shitty lowpoly models.
Ugh.

I really hate this intentional low poly thing so many "classic style fps" are doing. The classic part should be the gameplay, not the graphics.

Wunderbar

Arcane
I'm fine with retro visuals as long as the game actually looks the part i.e. something like this, or if the game utilizes an old engine (even if it's a source port like in Wrath or Ion Maiden).

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm fine with retro visuals as long as the game actually looks the part i.e. something like this, or if the game utilizes an old engine (even if it's a source port like in Wrath or Ion Maiden).

I don't mind with 2d sprites as I think they still look good in most cases. I'm really not a fan of the new wave of "retro" 3d models though.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
What would be the legalese of 3D Realms releasing a Doom engine game, considering Doom is now open source ?

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
What would be the legalese of 3D Realms releasing a Doom engine game, considering Doom is now open source ?

Dunno, has there been any recent commercial doom engine (or sourceport) games?

I would assume the licensing is still non-commercial, so they'd probably have to come to some agreement with Bethesda if someone wanted to use the engine commercially.

Arbiter

Scholar

Doom source code (and any other idSoft games) was released under GPL license. This means any game based on that source code has to be open source too. No publisher is going to allow that.

UserNamer

Cipher
I hope it isn't some sort of Half-Life type of game. I say this as a guy who plays through HL, its expansions, HL2, its episodes in sequence about twice a year.

I love the game but I recognize its contribution to slower, more scripted and cinematic driven shooters. Valve at that time was a special team and I doubt it can be replicated.

Saw that some on this forum are getting sick of throwback shooters but I still want more. More Dusk, more Ion Fury, more Amid Evil, more Doom and Quake and Hexen and Duke clones please.

In the original half life you ran as fast as cheetah and running and gunning was a viable strategy. You also had explosives with ludicrous power and some pretty serious firepower

It's with hl2 that they neutered the gameplay in every way. Shooting and fighting became this dull interloper between story sequences and scripted set pieces

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom