Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Great build-ups in classic RPGs that were were ruined by bugs in your first playthrough

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
In VTMB, there's that looooong sequence where you drop down & descend into the sewer further and further with a great creepy atmosphere, reading all the clues from notes from workmen over the years about something "down there" that has had people spooked. In my first playthough, when I came face to face with The Queen Thing she was frozen solid like an ice statue due to a bug. How anti-climatic after that nice build up. IIRC, something also happened in Fallout 2 with an endless parade of super mutants near the end that weren't suppose to be endless. To paraphrase the late great Ralph Kramden when his mother-in-law ruined the end of a Broadway play he was was looking forward to seeing: "Two RPGS, RUINED!"

Have you ever had a game you were really looking forward to ruined so badly by bugs? I remember playing the original Quake and all the Vorn were also frozen when I first saw them. How disappointing.

Cael

Arcane
In VTMB, there's that looooong sequence where you drop down & descend into the sewer further and further with a great creepy atmosphere, reading all the clues from notes from workmen over the years about something "down there" that has had people spooked. In my first playthough, when I came face to face with The Queen Thing she was frozen solid like an ice statue due to a bug. How anti-climatic after that nice build up. IIRC, something also happened in Fallout 2 with an endless parade of super mutants near the end that weren't suppose to be endless. To paraphrase the late great Ralph Kramden when his mother-in-law ruined the end of a Broadway play he was was looking forward to seeing: "Two RPGS, RUINED!"

Have you ever had a game you were really looking forward to ruined so badly by bugs? I remember playing the original Quake and all the Vorn were also frozen when I first saw them. How disappointing.
What endless parade of supermutants? I don't recall that in FO2?

Jack Of Owls

Arcane

Well, that's 'cos it was a bug. In my particular ending, I was fighting the Overlord and he had a few super-mutants for backup, I think. It was literally an endless single file parade of super-mutants that I just couldn't hope to defeat. When I finally died, i reloaded a save from just before the battle and it was actually only a handful of them. But the worst thing I remember about FO! & FO2 was the constant crashing to desktop on my system. I gave it lots of slack at the time though because I considered them such intricate games that it was almost inevitable that they would cause your computer to fart then fart again then finally shart.

Cael

Arcane

Well, that's 'cos it was a bug. In my particular ending, I was fighting the Overlord and he had a few super-mutants for backup, I think. It was literally an endless single file parade of super-mutants that I just couldn't hope to defeat. When I finally died, i reloaded a save from just before the battle and it was actually only a handful of them. But the worst thing I remember about FO! & FO2 was the constant crashing to desktop on my system. I gave it lots of slack at the time though because I considered them such intricate games that it was almost inevitable that they would cause your computer to fart then fart again then finally shart.
That's FO1, not 2? In FO2, you were fighting the Enclave, not supermutants...

Jack Of Owls

Arcane

That's FO1, not 2? In FO2, you were fighting the Enclave, not supermutants...

All I remember was that this boss dude was up on some kind of platform, overlording it over me and summoning super-mutants. I thought he was the overlord of a vault. Been so many years. Details forgotten. FO1 is actually the only RPG I wanted to play again right after I completed the first playthrough.

ManaJunkie

Arbiter

Basicly the first month of Daggerfall after release. I bought a fucking gaming magazine with the patch on cd....

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Bard's Tale 3. None of the enemies had special attacks, for example. Finished it decades later with the UOP.

Star Command bugged (literally) out about midways.

Some bugged out at or very near the end, like Wizardry 5 and Anvil of Dawn.

moleman

Arbiter
Patron
In release version of VTMB after a bossfight (GrĂĽnfeld Bach) you had to escape from a bomb before a countdown reached zero. You would jump into a boat and the game would load another area. Instead it crashed to desktop every time.

laclongquan

Arcane
Bitch please~ VTMB can bug you right out of playing the first year it's released. Complain about bugs in VTMB is pointless exercise.

If you cant stand of bugs, Fallout1's Ian "I will shoot you in the back", or Fallout2's burst bug where if Marcus take out his minigun you have to run for cover, are basic specimen. Early Sulik with his SMG can do that, but SMG damage is too low to be sudden death.

Cael

Arcane
Bitch please~ VTMB can bug you right out of playing the first year it's released. Complain about bugs in VTMB is pointless exercise.

If you cant stand of bugs, Fallout1's Ian "I will shoot you in the back", or Fallout2's burst bug where if Marcus take out his minigun you have to run for cover, are basic specimen. Early Sulik with his SMG can do that, but SMG damage is too low to be sudden death.
Says you! A full SMG burst to the back with JHP rounds shredded through my 30 hp pretty quick.

laclongquan

Arcane
Yeah well, if we have spare SMG to give to Sulik, we are too experienced to not know about his terrible aim. And if we are new and know no better, we also not good enough to have a spare SMG OR spare bullets.

Cael

Arcane
Yeah well, if we have spare SMG to give to Sulik, we are too experienced to not know about his terrible aim. And if we are new and know no better, we also not good enough to have a spare SMG OR spare bullets.
Female melee/unarmed player calling herself Buffy might get into trouble with bullets to the back in the Den if she got greedy :D

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Bard's Tale 3. None of the enemies had special attacks, for example. Finished it decades later with the UOP.

I'm playing the Bard's Tale Remastered series right now and quite enjoying all the monsters' special attacks. I don't think I played an RPG with so much stats and status mayhem on my characters . I can only imagine how disappointing it must have been to have the monsters be so bland and... ineffectual in that bugged BT3 release. Dungeon design, the promise of good loot drops and having to be careful of monster abilities is the only thing that keeps me playing the BT series I think

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Wizardry 8 potato version was borked up and won't let you put "ą/ę/ż/ź/ć" signs so you got stuck on that part later in the game where you had to answer simple riddles to open doors and place these McGuffins in the pedestals.
There was simple fix but required new game iirc.
Good reason to play again this good game, I guess?
heh
huh
fuck

Gothic3? If you forget about first village you get some nice views, better that overrated Oblivion in that regard, and then get mauled by wolves with their borked attack animations.
I'm kidding, it was all trash.

Last edited:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Ultima 9.

20 years of build-up ruined by one game going full retard. That it was full of bugs and frequently crashed on me (despite the patch) was adding insult to injury.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Was really enjoying the build up to the climactic end of Dead Money... the game ended up being really glitchy regarding the conditions to trap Elijah into the Vault. I must have reloaded like 10 times and still couldn't get him to get trapped. Such a massive turn-off that in my next playthrough of the DLC I simply killed him.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Vampire the Masquerade ; there was a nearly unavoidable bug at release that made the game just crash at some point, in the very last portion of the game. It's been a while since I last played that, was it in sort of a cave where you have to escape by boat ? I might be misremembering thing.

Anyways, there was nothing to do. The patch was not out yet, and the only workaround was to teleport out of the map with a console command. When I did, I found myself without any inventory items, equipments, weapons, nothing. Not a good position to be when you're near the end of VTMB. I think I had to resort to additional cheats to get me back some of my stuff but it felt like the entire game was ruined from this point on.

edit : this is the infamous society of leopold crash https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/914819-vampire-the-masquerade-bloodlines/43816002

Basically, every bugged game does that to me. I had to cheat my way out of a similar thing in Wasteland 2 at release.

I just hate bugs. They ruin everything even when they are not responsible. Sometimes I am stuck in a game that has been horribly, horribly bugged up until I reached the point. Why am I stuck I ? I am certain I am doing things correctly! Is there a missing trigger/flag ? Should an item be there that is not there ? Well let's check a walkthrough ! Oh. No. This time it was not a bug. Still, I cheated.

I hate bugs.

Cael

Arcane
I hate bugs.
giphy.gif

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
In the very first cRPG I ever played, Battletech The Crescent Hawk's Inception on my C64, I entered the end game area before I was suppose to and ended up breaking the game (I think). It told me I needed something important to flick that final switch that sends the gogs a'turning, the trumpets a'trumpeting, and the rockets a'blasting off into space that ends the game. However, it's quite possible I just missed an i important area and that I would have to find it out there... somewhere. But I just assumed it was a bug so I could save face. After all, like your first time with a woman, you don't wanna fuck up or have it be your fault that you went all fail & flaccid. It was the game and a bug, I tell ya! It was the game!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom