Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Greatest deal of the year..

Dny

Educated
Morrowind GOTY for $5 on Steam.
If you don't already have it or are a filthy pirate, go get it. Now.
http://store.steampowered.com/sale/bethesda_weekend
This is worth more than most of the GoG shit that get posted here.

There's also Oblivion for less than Two Worlds on GoG and while it sucks cock it still sucks much less cock than Two-Mouthfuls.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I still need to finish Tribunal. I won't buy it on Steam though because I have already purchased box edition at release date.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I have it, I bought it when it came out. Oh, the regret in this one was great...

Still got some gameplay out of it after few years.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
i played that piece of shit for an hour before the complete joke which is their wiki dialogue system had me uninstalling faster than you can say "banalboringshit."

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Dny said:
Morrowind GOTY for $5 on Steam.
If you don't already have it or are a filthy pirate, go get it. Now.
http://store.steampowered.com/sale/bethesda_weekend
This is worth more than most of the GoG shit that get posted here.

There's also Oblivion for less than Two Worlds on GoG and while it sucks cock it still sucks much less cock than Two-Mouthfuls.
or i could by something actually enjoyable off of gog instead of those two shitty games.

Dny

Educated
TwinkieGorilla said:
i played that piece of shit for an hour before the complete joke which is their wiki dialogue system had me uninstalling faster than you can say "banalboringshit."

I bet you wouldn't play any old school RPG either.

It's the little thing that gives away people who've never played classic RPGs when they hate on Morrowind because of the "dialogue". Guess what, most RPG didn't really have meaningful dialogue back in the days. You are of the Final Fantasy 7 and Baldur Derp 1 generation I get it. What you truly want is a point and click adventure with combat, not a RPG.

I can understand people who will criticize things like the combat, the setting itself or quest design but when the first thing that comes to your mind to derp derp on morrowind is the dialogue you are flashing the storyfag lights.

relootz

Scholar
I think Morrowind is a very good game, i don't understand why its so hated on the dex.

Dny

Educated
Because the dex is not the right place to discuss actual games and RPGs, it's the place for storyfags who are too ashamed of their status to admit they'd like Japanese RPGs better than WRPG.

yaster

Liturgist
"Greatest deal of the year"? You must have eyes looking out for inside of your anus to think so (with incidentally may be the right assumption given Dny is a codexer).

€5 for halfbroken, boring as shit and tedious game with fantastic world oozing atmosphere? Good but far from the best. Portal was available for free during one weekend, Psychonauts was for €2 and Indie Bundle offered 5 fantastic games for as much as you want. And that is just from the top of my head.

Oblivion is on GOG? Duur

But Morrowind GOTY for $5 is a good deal indeed. I'd buy if Steam games weren't altered so some modifications don't work on them (a few readmes for mods and tool state that they don't work on the steam version)

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
relootz said:
I think Morrowind is a very good game, i don't understand why its so hated on the dex.

I know. It was awesome game right after release but later they started hatin' for KKK. Same with Oblivion, same with FO3, same with ME, same with DA, same with AP, same with TW, same with NWN2. Nothing new here.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
the progression from daggerfall to morrowind was a way bigger decline than from morrowind to oblivion. morrowind is the game that started the dumbing down and streamlining bullshit trend in elder scrolls.
that is why morrowind sucks, and the fact that it is somewhat better than oblibion, almost solely due to area/map design, doesn't make the game suck any less.

Dny

Educated
SuicideBunny said:
the progression from daggerfall to morrowind was a way bigger decline than from morrowind to oblivion. morrowind is the game that started the dumbing down and streamlining bullshit trend in elder scrolls.
that is why morrowind sucks, and the fact that it is somewhat better than oblibion, almost solely due to area/map design, doesn't make the game suck any less.

Most of the things they cut out of Morrowind was because of graphic-whorism, engine limitations and wanting to get the game out of the doors fast, not because of intentionally dumbing it down to make it easier to the audience.

Certainly not on the level of quest compass, unlimited access to guilds and ranking and so and so.

Gerrard

Arcane
If you think I will give any of my money to Bethesda you are out of your mind.

Mortmal

Arcane
Its worth mentioning this sale, if you havent yet, its realy worth playing, i dare to say it even if it wont get me points with the cool kids here. It was a very atmospheric game with a good story,altough the graphics who were wonderful really aged bad.
Better than oblivion and far less generic , i dont remember it as dumbed down, sure you dont have the freedom of a daggerfall, but the fewest locations were well designed . Its unlikely anyone have not played it yet, but is till see new people asking for rpgs, and this one is definitively deserves to stand next to the classics.

Thrasher

Erudite
There are a ton of mods to improve the graphics for those that REALLY care. Not sure if they all work witht eh Steam version...

The Wizard

Educated
SuicideBunny said:
that is why morrowind sucks.
more than half of the skills removed/merged were broken as hell language skills anyway. it's not like they are needed for a dungeon crawler/exploration based rpg, unlike weapon proficiencies or spelleffects.
it's also one of the only fantasy games besides torment that are...you know fantasy, not a disguised LOTR or d&d wankfest with dwarfs that like fighting and elves that take it up the ass.

so: vivec is a hermaphrodite god with hair made of fire that uses his penis as a weapon. your argument is invalid.

denizsi

Arcane
I avoided 60+% of all fights in Daggerfall by using language skills. Show me a single other game where I could do this.

You can't.

The implementation wasn't the best and was a clusterfuck due to ridiculous number of skills, but being broken isn't one of their flaws.

So please, reserve your ass for horse dick, not for talking shit.

Last edited:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
relootz said:

I just could not get into it. I got about half way through and just got... bored.

I was never really a fan of Bethesda's earlier games though.

Turjan

Arcane
Morrowind is one of my most favorite CRPG's ever, despite its shortcomings. I have yet to see another fantasy world that is even remotely as interesting.

cutterjohn

Cipher
MOrrowind is the closest that crapthesda will ever come to having a "peak, simply by virtuae of the mods available and MOST importantly Morrowind Graphics Extender which grants a distant view to morrowind games that's INFINITELY superior to the shit that crapthesda came up with all buy theirsleves(well, what the gamebryo boyz came up with anywayz)...

Oblivious suckage is ALMOST balanced by MOrrowind goodness, and it actually IS balanced if you tack in Daggerfalll Theonly way to make a complete sweep would be for Toddles and Petey to croak or forever swear off game "design" since they absolutely suckass at it...

The Wizard

Educated
denizsi said:
I avoided 60+% of all fights in Daggerfall by using language skills. Show me a single other game where I could do this.

You can't.
you can do it by not being a moron and just use calm humanoid/creature or invisibility spells instead of wasting skill slots.

and either you're lying, or you got some super awesome patch, because the skills didn't do jackshit for me. at least daedric and orcish didn't.

Turjan

Arcane
denizsi said:

You can't.
Morrowind. Perhaps not always by language skills, but Morrowind has non-hostile solutions to most quests. I know that because I chose a pure mage for my first playthrough, and pure mages didn't really work in Morrowind, at least for fighting.

It was only in Oblivion that they abandoned that concept.

denizsi

Arcane
The Wizard said:
denizsi said:

You can't.
you can do it by not being a moron and just use calm humanoid/creature or invisibility spells instead of wasting skill slots.

So now skills alternative to one's own personal choice are "wasted skill slots"? Well, we should get rid of all combat skills bullshit as well then, they are all so wasteful. Long Blade, Short Blade, Axe, Blunt, Archery, Destruction... all only good for killing. Why waste skill slots with bullshit like that? Give me one Damage skill.

Not to mention spells have a duration while "pacifying" through language skills is a "click and forget" affair, lasting as long as you're in the dungeon and don't cost mana or anything.

FFS.

However, it's good that you mentioned the spells because using them, you can avoid 90+% of all fights in the game.

and either you're lying, or you got some super awesome patch, because the skills didn't do jackshit for me. at least daedric and orcish didn't.

Probably because you ran around with 10-20 levels in those skills :roll:

Oh, you have to try to "talk to them", ie. click on them in interactive mode.

Turjan said:
denizsi said:

You can't.
Morrowind. Perhaps not always by language skills, but Morrowind has non-hostile solutions to most quests. I know that because I chose a pure mage for my first playthrough, and pure mages didn't really work in Morrowind, at least for fighting.

It was only in Oblivion that they abandoned that concept.

No, I specifically mean language skills as a way to resolve combat encounters peacefully. There are of course other, more traditional ways of avoiding combat in other games.

The Wizard

Educated
denizsi said:
So now skills alternative to one's own personal choice are "wasted skill slots"? Well, we should get rid of all combat skills bullshit as well then, they are all so wasteful. Long Blade, Short Blade, Axe, Blunt, Archery, Destruction... all only good for killing. Why waste skill slots with bullshit like that? Give me one Damage skill.
you're right. how stupid of me. we should always aim to provide choices for everyone, no matter how useless, weird or outright outlandish they seem. even if the ingame consequences of those choices are only a little more than larping because programming and playtesting all that devours money like a black hole. so in the next elder scrolls they should definitely include all those language skills again, together with climbing, dodging, and a few new ones like: masquerade, disguise, breath control, toothbrushing, baking, and most important of all: pillow magic.

see, i can drag an argument into absurd depths, too.

denizsi

Arcane

Fail. As I've already illustrated, language skills are anything but useless.

Since when "weird" is a criteria, and a negative one? Fail again.

outlandish

It's interesting how you are so bugged by mere inclusion of such an "outlandish", no let's make that OUTRAGEOUS, feature. The whole art direction in Morrowind is so outlandish as well, no wonder they ditched all that POS and returned to the "familiar" grounds of traditional fantasy with Oblivion. I can see how happy and "at home" Oblivion must have made you felt.

ingame consequences of those choices are only a little more than larping

LOL wut.

To think that there are actually dumbfucks here of all places that genuinely bitch about one of the most unique and useful features of a game that were dropped in later games in favor of truly useless shit... Bitching because the game gave you options... Todd, is that you?

Ultimately, they are skills intended for a purpose and fulfill that purpose strictly on a RP basis ie. stat interaction, just like any other "more traditional" skill, while also providing one of the most unique cases in all the history of RPGs by enabling peaceful resolution of combat, bypassing violence and if you are bitching because of this, there is no other way to call you anything but a dumb fucking moron.

And then to go ahead and call that skill nothing short of LARPing...

You are beyond the imagination of being a dumb fucking moron, so I'll reserve further words to insult you for you can not insult an entity with words which the words have derived from.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom