Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Greatest Gaming Series

What are your fave gaming series?

• Total voters

Falksi

Arcane
What are your favourite gaming series?

To be included in the list, said series has to have at least 3 games.

Pokemon and regurgitated Sports games have obviously been omitted to retain credibility of the Codex.

I'll obviously have missed a load, so feel free to suggest and I'll add if I can be arsed.

One which has really stood out for me as a series which I play all the time and which I think is fantastic, but which also never gets anywhere near the recognition which it deserves is the Shinobi series. I love all the following Shinobi games...
  • Arcade Shinobi :4/5:
  • Master System Shinobi :4/5:
  • The Revenge of Shinobi :5/5:
  • Shinobi 3 :5/5:
  • Alex Kidd in Shinobi World :5/5:
  • Game Gear Shinobi :4/5:
  • Shadow Dancer :4/5:
  • Shinobi 2002 :4/5:
...and it suddenly made me realize how few other series can offer me 8 games which I thoroughly enjoy. I mean stuff like Zelda will get hailed as must-play series, but - whilst I like a handful of entries in each - neither come close to offering me 8 entries which I thrive on.

The Shadowrun series is another which falls into that bracket. For me I'd rate....
  • Shadowrun SEGA :5/5:
  • Shadowrun SNES :4/5:
  • Shadowrun Returns :4/5:
  • Shadowrun Dragonfall :5/5:
  • Shadowrun Hong Kong :3/5:
....slightly limper, but I still couldn't pick out 5 GTA games or 5 Final Fantasy games which give me as much pleasure.

:obviously:

SumDrunkGuy

Voted Souls, Resident Evil, and Diablo. Only included Diablo because all the fond memories I had with it when I was young. Can't stand loot games like that anymore.

If Silent Hill was on the poll I would have gave it a vote.

Last edited by a moderator:

Falksi

Arcane
Voted Souls, Resident Evil, and Diablo. Only included Diablo because all the fond memories I had with it when I was young. Can't stand loot games like that anymore.

Souls got a vote from me too. Strongly fancy that as one of the favourites here.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Shin Megami Tensei series.

Update your god damn OP, OP.
Respectively change "Persona" to "Shin Megami Tensei"

spectre

Arcane
Eh? If you differentiate between total war and total war war hammer, makes more even more sense to also differentiate between Xcom and EXCOM, because these are totally different games.
Splitting hairs perhaps, but I would split such polls by genre for clarity, but since you've already opened that can, you want Heroes of Might and Magic on that list as a separate entry from the rpgs.

Could add Worms as a series, there were plenty of spin offs, some of them recent. Panzer General, Company of Heroes and Dawn of War are just some popular strategy series off the top of my head.

Also this:
poll said:
The series only has two parts, my man.

Modron

Arcane
Voted Exile/Fallout/Gothic/Dragon Quest/Yakuza/Castlevania/Golden Axe/Geneforge

Will add my vote to Wizardry/Front Mission when you add them.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Tough choice. But I can't reward a series with my vote when they let me down. I think there's only one that had a recent instalment that I liked, that was Might & Magic X: Legacy. I respect the old games and I like the newest one, so I vote that. That's more than I can say about all the others.

I had a lot more fun in most of those other games though, and some of them are godlike game design. But most of them didn't evolve enough for me, or at all. And some of them went shit And some died. And some I got bored of. etc. So if I judge them as a series as a whole, that's kind of the only that hasn't screwed me.

Longer version:
Elder Scrolls: the early games were promising but they fucked it.

Fallout: Ditto

Deus Ex: Badass but then lost it.

Dragon Age Origins: I think the last AAA RPG that I thought was ok. Then they fucked it.

Mario: Godlike game design, they should knock down all the churches all over the place and build statues of whoever made Mario. Although to me it's basically just another Tetris, it's awesome for a certain age and a certain time. I wouldn't want to play it now or ever again.

Sonic: Ditto

Worms: Ditto

Most of the other arcade type games: Ditto

Need For Speed: I loved one of them about 20 years ago, but the rest are kind of shit. I wish people would stop buying it. Maybe then they would just make a huge epic version of the one I liked to win people back. But that never happens in gaming, it goes the other way.

GTA: I loved the 2d versions in multiplayer, it was so much fun and I was so much better than everyone else, which helped the fun part. But the single player aspect was jank. The 3d version of GTA went the other way, better single player, no multiplayer. But still not really that good. San Andreas I really liked because you could fly around in a harrier, jetpack, etc. And mostly it was still a decent shooting game, and they tried to do something new with the hood wars and being able to capture and lose areas. I respect that even though they didn't develop that aspect much. Since then they have done nothing to improve or evolve, it's gone backwards if anything. GTA 4 and 5 are boring as fuck to me. The single player is shit and the multiplayer is unsupervised daycare.

C&C: Such a great series, peak was Tiberian Sun, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Generals + Zero Hour was pretty good though. Then it failed to evolve, got starved of budget by it's tight ass shitty EA owners, and then as usual for gaming, they fucked it.

Falksi

Arcane
Voted Exile/Fallout/Gothic/Dragon Quest/Yakuza/Castlevania/Golden Axe/Geneforge

Will add my vote to Wizardry/Front Mission when you add them.

I want fucking with a wire brush for missing Wizardry, and now for some reason it won't allow me to add any more.

:deathclaw:

Zlaja

Arcane
Where's Silent Hill?

:killit:

If you can't add any more (Silent Hill, Wizardry etc) than just nuke the thread and remake it. And leave out pointless shit like Uncharted and Bioshock.

Last edited:

jackofshadows

Magister
Kingdongrape
No idea what that is but I like the sound of it so voted.

Didn't vote for Fallout because as a series it's too inconsistent.

The rest are M&M, Deus Ex, Diablo, Civilization, X-com.

Last edited:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
>there are at least a hundred or so video game series in existence, and the number is growing with each passing year
>makes a poll that has a limited amount of slots

lol
lmao

Curratum

The Elder Scrolls
0 vote(s)

:D:D:D:D:D:smug: Best thread ever.

Hate to break it to you but I put in a vote for both Call of Duty AND Elder Scrolls, not because I'm trying to be funny but because CoD MW1 and 2 were genuinely awesome and Oblivion is still the best Scrolls game around.

Before you rush to slap those angry ratings, be aware that in my eyes, anyone who could ever vote "Wizardry" in this is just as retarded in my eyes as I am in yours for genuinely thinking the above.

Zenithsan

Educated
Reddit level thread.
I voted tho, just to help the good taste win.

Souls and Metal Gear, but actually I only love DS1 and MG 1-3
I think King's Field is a more consistent series, and a better example from From Software.

SumDrunkGuy

Souls and Resident Evil are the two most consistent franchises today. With the exception of RE6 every single game in both range from good to great.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom