Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GreedFall - Gold Edition - new colonial-themed action-RPG from Spiders

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I never played any of the ork/goblin games,prefer to play as a superior human! Not with some genetic mistake!

The problem with Spiders is that they seem to hold BioWare in very high regard. I wouldn't call them Biodrones but they do in all likelihood believe that BioWare way is the right way or at least are unaware of anything better. Because of that you have things like romances being an actual feature which they never forget to mention in every interview. There's no need, they're better than that.

The Total Recall setting of theirs might be the best setting in modern gaming. They're just unable to actually do something with it. I feel like just a little more bravery is all they need.

To me they're really comparable to ACE Team. They too struggle to come up with engaging gameplay and yet, like I said once, Abyss Odyssey as an RPG would be the real spiritual successor to Torment. Instead, it's this.

fmOLuFT.jpg

9QP6h8d.jpg

vRcmBeI.jpg

w8Yesdf.jpg

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
If anyone has gameplay, what is the gun combat like? Is it like The Technomancer or is it more independent?

Big Wrangle

Guess Spiders decided to ditch the BioWare skeleton and try their luck with CDPR.

RepHope

Savant
I dig the colonial setting but I still don’t know enough about the game to make a call one way or the other. They need to find something to distinguish themselves, being Bioware/CDPR Lite isn’t going to get them far.

Big Wrangle

At this point, Spiders might as well rebrand into a tabletop company and/or create settings for such.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
I really hope that this game won't implement any retarded Nvidia Gayworks shit that will just rape performance on AMD hardware like it usually does.

Heretic

Cipher
Hahaha - Spiders' trademark SHIT itemization is back with a vengeance.
Unbelievable.

Loot chance +8%

Everything is completely the same. The UI, the icons, "Stability"...
They are complete retards and they are obviously never going to improve their games.

Last edited:

deama

Prophet
I agree, bound by flame was their best work, even the story I found was pretty interesting. Too bad they never finished it, oh well.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Hahaha - Spiders' trademarked SHIT itemization is back with a vengeance.
Unbelievable.

Loot chance +8%

They are complete retards and they are obviously never going to improve their games.
Far better than deadfire's +3% damage after the nurf.
this again. Deadfire items actually provide multitude of item effect, with sometimes interesting activation conditions. The mmo percentage buff exist, but it is more than that most of the time

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Hahaha - Spiders' trademarked SHIT itemization is back with a vengeance.
Unbelievable.

Loot chance +8%

Far better than deadfire's +3% damage after the nurf.
this again. Deadfire items actually provide multitude of item effect, with sometimes interesting activation conditions. The mmo percentage buff exist, but it is more than that most of the time
Honestly i don't care about itemisation in most rpgs,i do care about good writing. A thing that PoE2 didn't deliver,while spider games do have. It is not the best but it is original and interesting. If i cared about +3% i would play diablo 2. The most important thing about items in this games is to give you the feeling of actual progression both in looks and damage dealt/received.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Facial animations in Spiders games have been mocapped since Bound by Flame, if I recall correctly.

Don't know about that but I don't remember their other games having something as good as this. Same goes for Vampyr or even the new Assassin's Creed, for example. Go to 04:10.

Last edited by a moderator:
E3 2018 Preview: The Mysterious Ailment of GreedFall

GreedFall is an odd game, and I’m still not quite sure what to make of it. It might be that it’s just hard to demo a massive RPG like this, but there are a ton of ideas presented that feel quite abstract. The world is inspired by the colonial 1700s with a fantasy twist. This is not an actual history game, and there’s plenty of magic and odd creatures to support that. As the lead, you find yourself caught in a massive war between the native inhabitants of an island and the settlers who have come to colonize it.

There are multiple factions in the game that you can both help and offend, which will change how the people of the world interact with you. Again, it’s hard to showcase the sweeping effects of something like this in such a short demo, but we briefly got to see how partnering up with a member of one of the factions opened up some options later on. Players can partner with five different companions, one from each faction, keeping two with them at any given time. Your choice in companions will undoubtedly impact continued interactions and diplomacy with the various NPCs in the game.

Players will be able to customize their character, which will have a huge skill tree full of more than 100 skills, including those for magic, potions, traps, and more. The tactical fighting system means you can’t just spam attacks during battle. It’s actually a bit tough to get involved in a fight, but succeeding feels quite rewarding. There will be more than 200 pieces of equipment to equip and 14 different weapon types. We got a lot of these numbers and statistics thrown at us, but very little substantive information about what makes GreedFall a unique RPG. Don’t get me wrong, the game looks fascinating, I’m just having a hard time finding the bullet points to sell the game on.

There will be a lot to do in GreedFall when it finally releases. The beautiful game, inspired by French Baroque painters, will have more than 80 missions to take on. Your choices during those missions will impact the final ending to the game. The developers indicated that the game would be about 35 hours long, though it’s not clear if that’s for story completion or actually finishing everything the game has to offer.

The studio didn’t want to lean heavily on the themes of colonialism (at least when we attempted to ask questions about the seemingly blatant themes), but the quite obvious story points seem to focus largely on a bunch of settlers that come in and take land and resources from the natives. I’m pretty sure that’s oversimplifying things, but the demo didn’t really give much in the way of cohesive story. Why am I doing the things that I am doing? The lead character has a mysterious mark on their neck and face, apparently signifying that they have the mysterious disease that everyone is looking for the cure to. This disease seems to be the central conflict in the story, but the demo didn’t really highlight much in the way of story elements.

The setting and art-inspired themes are quite interesting, but hopefully GreedFall is able to find a unique point to show what sets it apart from other RPGs. I’m certain it will be a good RPG when it releases, but it’s abstract ideas need to solidify a little bit more in order to help players understand why they should play it. I’ve got a lot of faith in Spiders though, and as the developer behind this game, I’m certain they are crafting a top-notch experience, even if I don’t entirely know what that experience is yet.

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2018/06/22/e3-2018-greedfall-preview/#/slide/1

E3 2018: Greedfall Could Be Spiders’ Best RPG Yet

For the longest time, Spiders has always been a studio to watch. Prolific purveyors of RPGs, the developer has never been shy about trying to reach for the stars. While their ambition almost always exceeds their grasp, typically based on budgetary restraints, each release shows them closer to the cusp of landing that breakout hit. As it is, they have found a niche in telling stories and exploring settings that others haven’t yet touched and they have more than a few fans. Greedfall, though, looks like it’s swinging for the fences and it might just connect.

The setting is one that hasn’t been really explored before. Drawing inspiration from 17th century European Baroque art, the game is certainly stylish. Characters sport tricorner hats and muskets, monsters have the “here there be dragons” look of a beast just glimpsed by a terrified explorer, and the actual landscapes have the illusion of having been created with oil paints on canvas. Outside of the human character models, who reach the level of acceptable but not stellar, Greedfall is a gorgeous game, easily the best that Spiders has ever done. The day/night cycle of the world lends the look an ever changing beauty, keeping revisited areas from getting staid.

With the excellent art direction comes a free form role-playing system that focuses on giving the player freedom. From the robust character creation system to the interactions with the other actors in the play, the shape of the story is meant to be determined by the player, with some expected guardrails to keep things from going completely off kilter. With five different possible companions, each with their own emotional thrust, there are innumerable options for pleasing or ticking off comrades.

The story itself is quite deep, with plenty of old world political intrigue, natives with their own power struggles, and factions that all have their own motivations. The primary focus is that of a mysterious island. Rumored to hold untold riches, the land is soon colonized by settlers hoping to earn their fortune. They quickly discover that the land is also home to magic, which is soon weaponized. As the tale progresses, it will be up to the player to make allies and uncover the secrets of the island, while contending with supernatural protectors that would rather the hidden remain hidden.

One of the things that Spiders is really stressing is the open questing system. The tasks placed in front of the player are designed to be solved in different ways. If there is an aggressive faction looking for blood, the player could meet them head on teach them the folly of such discourse through force. Another route to take would be diplomacy, calming taut nerves and convincing the enemy to settle matters with speech. Both routes are rewarded. Even something as simple as deciding which path to take on the way to an event can have drastic outcomes on the story. While the fighting that was shown looks cool, I’m very interested in attempting to play this game as peacefully as possible, and it looks like Spiders will allow that.

With Spider’s grandiose vision, unique backdrop and a wealth of role playing options, the developer isn’t taking the easy track to game creation with Greedfall. It’s reasonable to have doubts as to whether or not they can pull it off. Based on what they have shown, it seems like they absolutely can. This is a title that has a unique graphical polish, intriguing setting and a wide open philosophy for world interaction. I’m looking forward to donning a tricornered hat and exploring this world when it releases for PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC in 2019.

https://www.hardcoregamer.com/2018/06/22/e3-2018-greedfall-could-be-spiders-best-rpg-yet/303941/

GreedFall Preview - E3 2018

Taking a first look at the new game from creators of The Technomancer

I think the name GreedFall still has me scratching my head a little bit. Out of the games I personally checked out at E3 2018, I still can’t quite get a handle on it. I suppose it has something to do with the consequences/dangers of avarice? Like, there’s a veritable waterfall of it? Despite the puzzling name, GreedFall is an action RPG from developer Spiders. We had a chance to sit down and got to peer into this brave new world.

The game takes place during the 17th century. A bunch of settlers, mercenaries and treasure hunters are busy fleeing a continent plagued by pollution and an incurable disease. These groups land on a remote island bursting with dormant magic - and riches, and lost treasure to boot. Your character - be they male or female - have been dispatched to the island to aid your cousin and discover a cure, setting off a chain of events that affect this new nation’s future.

After recently stepping foot into this new land, our protagonist is on the way to a large governor’s mansion to rendezvous with their cousin. We’re stopped at the gates because a native woman, hailing from one of the island’s tribes, is busy exchanging words with the guards, demanding entry. An emissary sent by her mother, she is allowed entry after your cousin comes to the rescue.

Inside, there’s a bit of court tongue-wagging, ending up with you solving the problem - as is standard RPG fare. You are to accompany the emissary, in hopes of your people getting closer to discovering the island’s secrets and the natives not breaking in to all-out war. I think what struck me a little strange is that your people have been here long enough that they’ve built some pretty impressive structures, yet this is only the beginning of the war. I’ll chalk it up to the fact that the backstory hasn’t been revealed to us because we are at a later state in the game.

So, the roads aren’t safe and we need to put on our walking boots. We take the emissary, as well as another companion, and set off. You can have up to three companions at a time in your merry band, and you will meet more as you progress - 5 in total. Each hale from a different faction and impact the game’s story.

In the field, you’re greeted by quite picturesque sights - trees, hillocks, dusty roads - your quintessential “green” environment. It didn’t particularly stand out for me, because I was expecting this strange continent to throw up a few more visuals to convey the feeling of the unknown. However, it was only minor.

As well as using your feet, you can use a campfire to move around the open world. Your basic fast travel. These worlds are “hubs” - 16 in total - so it’s not your typical open world. We were assured they each pose different environments, so keep in the back of your mind the wind-blasted plains, snowy lands, etc.

Graphically and thematically, GreedFall takes inspiration from European Baroque art. If you’re not familiar with the style, just think of those pictures of fancy, old-timey French buildings/mansions/opera houses that you may have seen. Everything is rather grand and intricate, and people dress like they have an engagement at Palace of Versailles. This, however, is contrasted with the more rural environment surrounding these pockets of “civility” that the invaders have erected.

Soon enough, after having a wander, we encounter those out to bash in our heads. Combat is 3rd person, where you can switch weapons on the fly, utilize ranged weapons, the game’s own brand of magic, and unleash powerful critical hits. We were promised over 10 different styles of weapons and hundreds of variants within that, so there should be a style/combo for every type of player. Generally speaking, you have your longsword, greatsword, axe, flintlock pistol - weapons for that era.

Greedfalle3_05.jpg

If we’re talking 3rd person action, the system and style was more like publisher Focus Home Interactive’s other title - Vampyr. It’s not as fast as Dragon Age/Bloodborne, nor punishing like Dark Souls. It actually looks somewhat old-school (maybe even dated) to my eye. You wail on your opponent, build up your crit metre, then unleash a powerful attack while your companions join in.

The approach to gating off areas is through powerful enemies, so the environment does not level up in tandem with you, like Skyrim. There are some sections of the map where opponents will be too strong. You’ll have to get better gear, level up, and then take them on. However, there is nothing stopping you from sneaking around powerful enemies to plunder some good loot.

Eventually, we reached the emissary’s village. One of the elders at the village wasn’t too welcoming, but our friend helped us out. He let slip that the emissary's mother is off waging a battle with our people. Better get there quick.

We can go a short way - fraught with danger - or a longer, safer way. Decisions like this affect the story. We chose to take a quicker route, but ran into some trouble along the way, resulting in a battle. With the enemies swiftly dispatched, we could also pick up some crafting materials, as well as level up. In addition to this, there are day and night cycles. This impacts the game, so certain times may reveal exclusive quests, monsters, and more.

There are over 100 skills available, and they branch off in familiar patterns. You want to be a mage? Fine. Warrior? That’s cool, too. Or just choose the skills you like most and create a hybrid. You can also take a more tactical approach to battle, by pausing and ordering your companions to fire off certain moves, spells, and skills.

Because we took the shorter, more dangerous path, we reached the battlefield in time to join the fray and meet up with the emissary's sister. However, it was too late for their mother. Our character could choose to console the sister or get straight down to business. These instances affect your reputation with factions and have story repercussions.

After a quick conversation session, a big green monster appeared. To defeat it, our companions had to employ some good ol’ fashioned teamwork, in a flurry of blades and magic before our preview finished.

There is no doubt GreedFall is an ambitious game. It pulls every design trope from RPGs over the last several years out of the bag. Will the game be a jack of all trades but a master of none? Does it have enough unique features to drag you away from bigger titles in the same genre? From the preview, it seemed to me like GreedFall’s strongest weapons in its arsenal are its story and characters. Elements such as combat and world design weren’t too fleshed out for me to get a real sense of it all, so it may have a difficult time standing out from the pack.

GreedFall is planned for release on Xbox, PlayStation 4, and PC in 2019.

https://www.newgamenetwork.com/article/1956/greedfall-preview-e3-2018/

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I am more hyped for this game than cybercunt or undead light 2.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom