Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GreedFall - Gold Edition - new colonial-themed action-RPG from Spiders

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
If you're a storyfag this will be in your alley, for combatfags its a bit easy cause of the amount of cheese available to exploit.

Is it like in PB games where ranged is the easy and boring option and melee is the harder but more fun option?

Was thinking about going with the Extreme difficulty and a shooter build but I'm worried it'll get just as monotonous as in Gothic/Elex.

It's nothing like PB's games at all. If you go in hoping for something PB-like, you're going to be very disappointed. It's more of a Bioware kind of style.
Its like Witcher 3 but with rifles and bombs that make the game piss easy. Make your 2 companions tank and just throw poison bombs and kite with rifle. If your companions go down use a potion and they are back to 100% in a second. Only guardians made an effort cause if they hit you twice before you manage to heal you're dead.
There are alot of tools in form of traps, bombs, potions and ointments that can be used and its well done. But they make the game even easier.
Extreme mode might give you more challenge so try it but its not a short romp.

JDR13

Arcane
If you're a storyfag this will be in your alley, for combatfags its a bit easy cause of the amount of cheese available to exploit.

Is it like in PB games where ranged is the easy and boring option and melee is the harder but more fun option?

Was thinking about going with the Extreme difficulty and a shooter build but I'm worried it'll get just as monotonous as in Gothic/Elex.

It's nothing like PB's games at all. If you go in hoping for something PB-like, you're going to be very disappointed. It's more of a Bioware kind of style.
Its like Witcher 3 but with rifles and bombs that make the game piss easy. Make your 2 companions tank and just throw poison bombs and kite with rifle. If your companions go down use a potion and they are back to 100% in a second. Only guardians made an effort cause if they hit you twice before you manage to heal you're dead.
There are alot of tools in form of traps, bombs, potions and ointments that can be used and its well done. But they make the game even easier.
Extreme mode might give you more challenge so try it but its not a short romp.

Mmm...no, it's not much like TW3 either. It's a party-based game, and it isn't fully open-world. Like I said, the closest comparison would be Bioware.

I found it pretty enjoyable for the first half or so, but then it really started to feel repetitive to me. I had to force myself through the last 20-25%, and I was glad when it was over.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I was asking specifically about the combat, I thought I was clear - is the combat like in PB games where range is easy and boring and melee is harder and fun.

I'm asking because my first G2 run was ranged and from mid-game on I was not having fun backpedalling and sniping but since there's no respec in Gothic I was stuck with my stupid build. I don't wanna make the same mistake here.

Theldaran

Liturgist

I've heard that Mage is Greedfall's easy mode.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I was asking specifically about the combat, I thought I was clear - is the combat like in PB games where range is easy and boring and melee is harder and fun.

I'm asking because my first G2 run was ranged and from mid-game on I was not having fun backpedalling and sniping but since there's no respec in Gothic I was stuck with my stupid build. I don't wanna make the same mistake here.

Combat is one of the better things in the game. I wouldn't directly compare it to any game you're mentioning really, but it feels fluid and offers a modicum of challenge on hard mode. You'll be doing lots of standard stuff but the bombs and guns make it feel a little different and enemy armor/health requiring different weapon strengths is a solid mechanic. I played a person who shot away enemy armor from a distance and then ran in with a fast blade to finish off their actual health bar. The game has a lot of flaws and meh aspects, but the combat is fine. I can't imagine being turned off the game because of it.

Dodo1610

Arcane
I finally finished it since I stopped my last playthrough because of Outer Worlds and goddammit do I regret my decision. :negative:
The best thing about it is the unique 17-century setting, from the clothing design to the fractions, everything feels very coherent. Even the game's themes of exploration, science, colonialism and religion feel very fitting with the historical baroque. Even the natives feel believable with each tribe having unique customs and styles I also like their language.
The companions are okay though the ones connected with the main fractions have a lot more content and unique dialogue options than the other ones. Though their quests are all well made.
Combat is simple but feels satisfying and fun, the dance of dodging, hitting and using abilities even looks good. The bosses are really well made and challenging since bosses can kill you in only a few hits but have too much HP.
The story is lacking big twist or reveals stays in the background for most of the game while you focus on your day job of being a diplomat and errand boy/girl.
The quest are mostly well done and have enough variety between stealth, fighting and dialogue, with choices that affect other quests and the ending slides. I really like it when something you did is mentioned in a completely different quest which gives you the feeling that your choices matter.
I really like the protagonist since he actually talks and behaves the way he is supposed to, he rarely shows emotion and never swears. Since he is noble he shouldn't be emotional in the public, though I know lots of people didn't like that he feels distances I really appreciate their effort of making De Sardet believable.
One of the games best aspects re the cutscenes those looks really good, much better than in most AA games.

The thing I didn't like was the boring skill tree which only consists of +X% bonuses and abilities which are only slight variations of existing abilities.
I encountered several bugs which forced me to load older savefiles.
It's a AA game and it clearly shows with: outdated graphics and ugly facial animations, invisible walls on every corner, corridor-like open world, copy and pasted assets everywhere, only a handful voice actors and so on...

I can definitely say that I enjoyed my time in Teer Fradee despite its undeniable flaws. It's clearly a game that was the result of a unique vision and it's a game that I don't think I'll ever forget, that's a lot more than I could say about their older games and most action RPGs I have played in recent years. I can only thank Spiders for finally fulfilling my dream of making a good game set in my favourite historical period. Thus I am really excited about their next game Steelrising :salute:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I can definitely say that I enjoyed my time in Teer Fradee despite its undeniable flaws. It's clearly a game that was the result of a unique vision and it's a game that I don't think I'll ever forget, that's a lot more than I could say about their older games and most action RPGs I have played in recent years. I can only thank Spiders for finally fulfilling my dream of making a good game set in my favourite historical period. Thus I am really excited about their next game Steelrising :salute:

Risen 2 and 3 have some similar colonial era aspects, if you haven't played them. Very up and down in other aspects, and Risen 2 has a corridor island problem, but if you love the setting I think they're enjoyable.

Padzi

Arbiter
So I'm playing Greedfall, quite enjoying myself.
And I decided to google some Greedfall fan art just out of curiosity. And what the hell? Why are people drawing incest gay male romance between De Sardet and his cousin Constantin? The female incest version is also there but a lot less popular. What the fuck is wrong with Greedfall fans? I'm going to puke.

tumblr_pyqn7sQYHZ1qhlrx2o1_400.jpg

...why?
d1131e3f0beebab659a493d6ebef9cbd21e2ff6b.jpg

3a00e8e50a3afeb9265b98c8baaa7e0445941313.jpg

:timetoburn::timetoburn::timetoburn:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
And I decided to google some Greedfall fan art just out of curiosity. And what the hell? Why are people drawing incest gay male romance between De Sardet and his cousin Constantin? The female incest version is also there but a lot less popular. What the fuck is wrong with Greedfall fans? I'm going to puke.

...why?

It is a french game.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

...why?

I don't know why but apparently they all like Constantin.

Tytus

Arcane

Padzi

Arbiter

Constantin behaves like he is a Golden Retriever with ADD/ADHD.
He's ok, but I'm disgusted that people want to have incest buttsex with him.
Meh this is peak of the iceberg tier regarding internet content, you can stray further from the light of god if you dig well enough.

Glad to know that incest buttsex doesn't phase you anymore. You are the one that strayed from god. If I'll need a degenarate I will know who to call. Alas!

Takamori

Learned

Meh this is peak of the iceberg tier regarding internet content, you can stray further from the light of god if you dig well enough.

Glad to know that incest buttsex doesn't phase you anymore. You are the one that strayed from god. If I'll need a degenarate I will know who to call. Alas!
Never denied that, well guess I'm your friendly degeneracy consultant now. Dare to enter my magical realm?

Padzi

Arbiter

Never denied that, well guess I'm your friendly degeneracy consultant now. Dare to enter my magical realm?

Just don't bring any weird pills, and I'm in. Well, at least we're not releted.

Narax

Educated

...why?

Those are Bioware fans, hijacking another fandom as soon as they hear the word "romance" is in the game. Just wait and watch, BG3 will attract a large number of these degenerates.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Those are Bioware fans, hijacking another fandom as soon as they hear the word "romance" is in the game. Just wait and watch, BG3 will attract a large number of these degenerates.

I got the romance achievement with the knight guy because he threw himself at me and why not, and it's one of my rarest on Steam. Like 1.2% of people have it or something. So at least very few give a shit.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
You guys, Supernatural fans have been openly posting about shipping brotherly incest since 2005. This isn't new territory.

RepHope

Savant

I got the romance achievement with the knight guy because he threw himself at me and why not, and it's one of my rarest on Steam. Like 1.2% of people have it or something. So at least very few give a shit.
Most people romanced the native chick I suspect. The “vanilla” romances are always the most popular, you just don’t see as much shit for them on the Internet because degenerates are much louder. Pretty sure Leliana and Liara were Bioware’s most popular romance options.

Padzi

Arbiter

Wait, knight guy is 1.2%? And here I am, thought that mine achivment with pirate guy - 3.2% is rare.
Greedfall is not really popular.

Tytus

Arcane

Wait, knight guy is 1.2%? And here I am, thought that mine achivment with pirate guy - 3.2% is rare.
Greedfall is not really popular.

Those fucking 1%/one-percenters strike again.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom