Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Green Hell

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
http://www.greenhell-game.com

Surprised I can't find a thread about this, I just got it on Steam and it seems to be the first survival game that's actually not a steaming pile of dogshit. It's way more realistic than anything I've seen so far and less "game-y", yet somehow better:

-You don't need to eat every 5 seconds, build campfires after every second marshmellow or craft new jeans every 2 minutes. Things wear out at more believable rates.
- You have to build and craft things by putting them together, not just clicking on them point-and-click adventure style (I'm looking at you, Long Dark)
- You start off in a believable setting, not just TROLLOLOLOLOLOLLLOLOL all electricity/navigation/physics stopped working for some reason
-If you get hurt, you actually have to check your body visually to see what go fucked up and how badly, as in real life.

But most importantly, it has a STORY. Some kind of goal to work towards and mystery to uncover, not just survive the mostest.

Any thoughts on this? What's the Kodex Kritical Konsensus?

Last edited by a moderator:

JDR13

Arcane
It doesn't look bad actually. I wonder how much time you spend crafting/building though. That's usually my least favorite part about these survival games.

thesecret1

Arcane
It's not bad, but suffers from the usual survival game problem of not offering much difficulty after you get past early game. There's food EVERYWHERE in the jungle, and once you have the tools and facilities to process it, staying fed becomes busywork rather than challenge. I assume the natives were meant to offset this, but come on, one headshot with a bow and the guy's dead, it's like shooting fish in a barell.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Yeah, spoke to soon.

The dude needs ridiculous amounts of calories a day to survive jesus fuck. You need to eat about 12 capybaras and a jaguar every half hour. Fuck this game. One snek and some fruits should be more than enough to keep you going through a day.

There might be food everywhere but you can't actually get it. Capybaras and those boar things just take your spear like a champ and run away, leaving you with no spear and no food. Catching mice etc in a trap and eating shrooms gives tiny amounts of energy and is barely worth it.

JDR13

Arcane
Yeah, spoke to soon.

The dude needs ridiculous amounts of calories a day to survive jesus fuck. You need to eat about 12 capybaras and a jaguar every half hour. Fuck this game. One snek and some fruits should be more than enough to keep you going through a day.

There might be food everywhere but you can't actually get it. Capybaras and those boar things just take your spear like a champ and run away, leaving you with no spear and no food. Catching mice etc in a trap and eating shrooms gives tiny amounts of energy and is barely worth it.

Great... you post that now after I purchased a copy. :lol:

Oh well, I didn't pay much for it, and I really like tropical settings, so I'll give it a try and see what I think.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Yeah, spoke to soon.

Great... you post that now after I purchased a copy. :lol:

Oh well, I didn't pay much for it, and I really like tropical settings, so I'll give it a try and see what I think.

Based on some reviews as well as the post above mine, it seems like an early game problem mostly tho. Hoping it gets better.

Edit: Just the fact that it has a plot and a POINT already makes it worth it.
Every other survival game is survive to craft to survive more to craft more to survive more to craft more.

Last edited:

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
The Amazon doesn’t look like that. The developer should have taken a field trip.

In 2020? lul

Imagine buying a survial game in 2020.

It's actually very relevant. The part I got to in the story is bitching about

locking down the whole world to contain a disease.

Let's see if the go with the sane answer or the 1 LYFE IS TOO MANY THAT'S WHY WE ALWAYS STOP THE WORLD FOR EVERY DISEASE AND NEVER DRIVE CARS argument

Alter Sack

Magister
So the game got a major update recenty.

Any impressions?

I feel like playing a good survival game now.

And most important: Can you handcraft your own penis sheath to show the savages who the boss is?

lmrijvc8x0s41.jpg

vota DC

Augur
I remember Time Runners episode 1 you need a Stick, a stone and a rope to make an axe. Also you need a sharp tooth to get the rope because Max refuses to pick up the Stone if you haven't both the stick and the rope.
In Green Hell you are MacGyver....Just a stick and a stone to make an axe. Also what about those silly prisoners that use the pickaxe to split stones? No need of tools, you can use Nanto to destroy stones here!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom