Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Grid Cartographer - Best Tool for Drawing Classic RPG Maps

Hidden Asbestos

Grid Cartographer
Developer
On the app website https://gridcartographer.com/compare/#crpg I see only 2 goldbox games present (apart from FRUA). Are there any plans for linking the Krynn games? Also, has anyone checked how the GC works with hacked FRUA modules?
Hi, no current plans for Krynn games. Sorry! Nothing personal about this series, it's just a lack of resources.

All (?) FRUA modules should work, it'll auto-detect the map size and region name and make a blank map for you - I tried it myself in the (FRUA) editor when I developed it. Been a while though, it's not a game I've played much since.

Hidden Asbestos

Grid Cartographer
Developer
Steam Beta for v4.4.0 (Windows)
The next release features a major overhaul to the UI and the map file format, so I'm running a beta on Steam to get feedback and check for bug reports in advance of the full release. There are a LOT of bugs right now that I'm working hard on fixing, but why wait when you can BETA!

To get access to the beta, use the code 'betacartographer'. Please be aware that the software may crash or mess up somehow - you should save often and backup any maps from the current release version as maps saved by the beta won't open in the current version due to major changes.

I'd love to hear your feedback and if you find bugs or missing functionality let me know - on Discord would be great as it'll help me diagnose problems easier: https://discord.gg/24rmuJk
I'm working hard to restore a lot of things which were bent out of shape during the work I've done. It's pretty easy to fire off beta updates via Steam so check back regularly.

Hope you like the new look!

xxN36BS.png

Hidden Asbestos

Grid Cartographer
Developer
I've created a brief video overview of the beta.
I plan to make more but I won't post updates here for every one, so don't forget to subscribe :)

Hidden Asbestos

Grid Cartographer
Developer
BETA 3 is now available on Steam (for Windows)

Changes summary:

* Map format overhaul complete. phew.
* Atari ST emulation (experimental, docs coming)
* Terrain shape + style are now separated.
* Interface changes.
* Game Link: mono audio downmix
* Game Link: improved handle of borders (CPC and ST)

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Just found out I have two copies of GC. One, the DRM-free Pro version, and another the Steam version. Weird, I don't remember buying two copies of it :?

Anyway going to try to use it to design cyberpunk battlemaps. Will report back :salute:

Hidden Asbestos

Grid Cartographer
Developer
Let me know if you find missing stuff - naturally GC is full of fantasy things and less about cyber or punk - although the Vector themes make the 3D view look pretty cool.

udm

Arcane
Patron
I will! I tend to use more elaborate battlemaps with fantasy games (notably the ones from Heroic Maps), but there's a shortage of cyberpunk maps, so I am going to experiment with GC and see what's the best way to have a minimalistic design that's still able to capture everyone's attention.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Hidden Asbestos Is there a place I can download custom tiles and icons for GC? I'm using game-icons and some free stock vector art atm, so it's looking a bit inconsistent.

EDIT: Thinking I might use some of the icons from existing map packs that I already have (e.g. 0one's maps and Fabled Environments) too.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron

Sacibengala

Prophet
Hidden Asbestos Is there a place I can download custom tiles and icons for GC? I'm using game-icons and some free stock vector art atm, so it's looking a bit inconsistent.

EDIT: Thinking I might use some of the icons from existing map packs that I already have (e.g. 0one's maps and Fabled Environments) too.

I have some I made for my maps here
http://gridcarto.wikidot.com/custom-tiles

This site has lots of fantasy icons you can scale down
https://game-icons.net/
There are also some great tiles from roguelikes, such as these https://opengameart.org/content/dungeon-crawl-32x32-tiles-supplemental

udm

Arcane
Patron
Thanks for the suggestions! Just what I'm looking for for my cyberpunk maps. I may do a few more and add to the wikidot page when I have the time.

Also, just completed my first cyberpunk session that's run using maps made with GC. I think GC doesn't do pnp fantasy maps as well as some other editors (though it's still very solid when one is in a pinch), but for cyberpunk, it's perfect. Will upload my maps tomorrow since I don't have my laptop with me right now.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
... I think GC doesn't do pnp fantasy maps as well as some other editors (though it's still very solid when one is in a pinch), but for cyberpunk, it's perfect.

Hidden Asbestos has basically three target groups for GC, people playing dungeon crawlers, game devs and people who play P&P btw. need hex maps, and usually he adds stuff when people bug him. Since, at least I don't think so, he doesn't actively play P&P himself, he doesn't always knows what the specific needs of this group of people are. That said, if you see something you want to add, just asks him, he's always happy to add. Discord is probably the best place to get his reaction fastest, but here works as well

udm

Arcane
Patron
Welp, here it is:

LquQVt5.png

Kitchen floor

a3xsM6v.png

Main floor

0vfcnyZ.png

Presidential Suite

IH6fJFB.png

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom