Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Grid Cartographer - Best Tool for Drawing Classic RPG Maps

Codex Year of the Donut
Recently found out Vaporum uses GC for map design. Are you aware of any other gamedevs that use it?

Hidden Asbestos

Grid Cartographer
Developer
Recently found out Vaporum uses GC for map design. Are you aware of any other gamedevs that use it?
nothing as high profile as that, but I think there's a couple of indiedevs on my Discord

edit: Oh I totally forgot but Das Geisterschiff / Der Geisterturm used it too

Last edited:

Hidden Asbestos

Grid Cartographer
Developer
Just as long as GC doesn't become STEAM exclusive DL or updates.
nah, never gonna happen.

Of course Fastspring decided to email me last night, out of the blue, saying they're going to completely overhaul their payout system in mid October - so we'll see whether I can continue to sell *new* copies via my website. They've not given me too much confidence right now.

Regardless of that should still be able to provide downloads to existing customers. Presumably... never say never, because who knows, Chrome or Windows might block that one day LOL

Suddenly Epic store not such a joke option :D

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Why not switch to itch.io for the DRM-free version. They don't just have games

Hidden Asbestos

Grid Cartographer
Developer
I'm currently investigating itch.io.

I also need to consider the fact that I offer an upgrade service from Gamer -> Pro or Gamer -> Steam ... but maybe fewer than a dozen people do this per year. That might be something I opt to handle manually in future, but I think people are either happy (or unhappy) with Gamer Edition and don't feel the need to get the extras, or go straight in at Pro with the Steam edition when that's on sale.

Hidden Asbestos

Grid Cartographer
Developer
I've just updated the beta build on Steam / Discord with a performance boost in map loading.
For example A test map for Nox Archaist that used to take about 30 seconds to load on my i7 desktop is now basically loading instantly.

I couldn't wait until November for this update, so it's available now :D

edit: There are still some known issues with performance in 2D and 3D rendering but .. well, one step at a time!

Hidden Asbestos

Grid Cartographer
Developer
Of course Fastspring decided to email me last night, out of the blue, saying they're going to completely overhaul their payout system in mid October - so we'll see whether I can continue to sell *new* copies via my website. They've not given me too much confidence right now.

Regardless of that should still be able to provide downloads to existing customers. Presumably... never say never, because who knows, Chrome or Windows might block that one day LOL

Suddenly Epic store not such a joke option :D

Seems like FastSpring behind-the-scenes change won't have too much effect, so until it all goes wrong somehow I'll be continuing to sell via them (+ Steam)

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Thanks to @RikRetro we can now hook up Applwin with GridCartographer and play old Apple II games natively

Here's the AppleWin fork to use, you have to activate Remote Control under options
https://github.com/hasseily/AppleWin/releases/tag/v1.29.14.0-rc

EmLn597VoAA_IFd

Hidden Asbestos

Grid Cartographer
Developer
I'll be making a manual page and a formal download link available, along with a patch to add Apple 2 support to a few games, ... soon

Hidden Asbestos

Grid Cartographer
Developer
Apple II support is here ! big thank you goes to Rikkles for spending the past week working on this.

Download AppleWin for Grid Cartographer here: https://gridcartographer.com/download/#clients
(at the bottom of the page)

Download update 2020.11_f4 here: https://gridcartographer.com/download/
(Steam customers will auto-update as usual)

The update _f4 adds support for the following games:
* Might and Magic 1
* Wizardry 1
* Ultima 4
* Ultima 5

These need to be in the .WOZ file format or they won't be recognised.
Search for "A Woz A Day" for maximum satisfaction.

rohand

Cipher
Hey Hidden Asbestos I recently reinstalled it for DND maps and tried importing donjon TSV and HTML maps. It is however CTD'ing during the HTML import.

Have you experienced that? I can attach the HTML if you want.

Hidden Asbestos

Grid Cartographer
Developer
Hey Hidden Asbestos I recently reinstalled it for DND maps and tried importing donjon TSV and HTML maps. It is however CTD'ing during the HTML import.

Dang, yeah I just saw that. Will need to investigate. There should be a new update out soon so I'll make sure a fix is in there.

Hidden Asbestos

Grid Cartographer
Developer

I've fixed the bug and released 2020.11_f5
This patch also adds support for ultra-wide monitors.

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Hey guys! After Stormcrowfleet pulled some pretty cool stuff for online D&D with Grid Cartographer, I bought it too and tried tinkering with it.
Wanna use it for online tabletop rpg stuff as well - mostly mapmaking - , so it's kinda off-label use and I'm still not sure whether its the right tool for the job. So basically what I'm trying to do is to make a regional hex map with custom tiles as the available tiles are pretty decent but not very numerous.

My problem is that importing of tiles doesn't work out the way I hoped. Let's say I have some custom hex tiles in 32x32 format, like this: https://opengameart.org/content/hex-tileset-pack
No matter what I do, I get a result similar to this:

9fFTP1W.png

Also, some bug I found: when I choose 'Import as Tileset' and enter an invalid size, e.g. 40x40 clicking the grid button in the lower left corner causes the program to stop responding. But I guess this won't get me closer to my goal anyways.
So, my question is, is it possible to import hex tiles properly at all? How can I align them with the grid properly? Or do I have to resort to seamless square textures for hex maps as well?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom