Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Grid Cartographer - Best Tool for Drawing Classic RPG Maps

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yo, is there still a Free version of this around?

Software is always free when you look at the right places. :smug:
You have to be really cheap and stupid to post such thing in a thread that the dev is actually posting in. GC is not super expensive, gets regular updates, and is really good. Skip 5 beers, you can afford it.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron

Software is always free when you look at the right places. :smug:
You have to be really cheap and stupid to post such thing in a thread that the dev is actually posting in. GC is not super expensive, gets regular updates, and is really good. Skip 5 beers, you can afford it.

Hey, don't get so assblasted just because I made a snarky comment, ok?

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Steam's refund policy, I guess.

I doubt you'll need it, though. GC is unanimously praised here, and for good reason. Speaking for myself, I had a bias against it when I bought it (paper is much cooler!), but it's just so much more efficient and easy to use than any other alternative.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I bought pro before steam. I almost bought it twice because of new computer and losing the key. Now the hexographer program on inkwell studios.... yeah.... I had to buy it twice only to find the key buried deep deep deep in emails. I now print out this stuff and keep several digital copies (esp music and art programs).

I also bought a registered copy if a few old map programs called mappy/mapper. Its a fun little thing. Even joytokey i popped some $$ just to be registered because i use the fuck out of that program.

i have campaign cartograpger 3 but never installed it. I should as it was an awesome humble bundle package. So many mappers for various things. GC is gold and well worth PRO.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
I'm a little bit confused by the options at http://gridcartographer.com/buy/ . Am I getting this right that the Gamer Edition for $20 is obsolete at this point?

Steam has only the pro edition. The Gamer edition only allows you to map, which is okay if you only interested in that, but you can't use game profiles or any of the other more useful features

edit: check under features what you can do with the gamer edition if you're interested, you can still do a lot with it

Sinatar

Arbiter
I'm a little bit confused by the options at http://gridcartographer.com/buy/ . Am I getting this right that the Gamer Edition for $20 is obsolete at this point?

Steam has only the pro edition. The Gamer edition only allows you to map, which is okay if you only interested in that, but you can't use game profiles or any of the other more useful features

The gamer edition absolutely lets you use game profiles and game link. The pro edition is for game developers who want to design their maps and port them into unity and the like. If you're just looking to map your RPG's then the pro version is a bit of a waste.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron

The gamer edition absolutely lets you use game profiles and game link. The pro edition is for game developers who want to design their maps and port them into unity and the like. If you're just looking to map your RPG's then the pro version is a bit of a waste.

yeah, I realized that when I checked features. I had in the back of my mind that it didn't allow it, but I seem to have misremembered

dacencora

yeah, I realized that when I checked features. I had in the back of my mind that it didn't allow it, but I seem to have misremembered
Yeah the only thing is that the GAYMER edition isn't on Steam.

Narushima

Cipher
Yeah the only thing is that the GAYMER edition isn't on Steam.
Which seems silly, since that's the one 99% of people would want.
As it is now, they see the only version available on Steam, where most people would come across the program, and they probably think it's too expensive and don't purchase it.

Last edited:

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Well that's my story exactly. And then I go to the website and read stuff which suggests that the Gamer Edition might not have been updated in a looong time so who knows in what state it is...

Red Hexapus

Learned
Does anyone know if it is possible to download a legacy version of GC from somewhere (specifically v2, preferably Linux version)? Have a code for it, but I haven't used it in a long time and now I cannot find that version.

Hidden Asbestos

Grid Cartographer
Developer
Well that's my story exactly. And then I go to the website and read stuff which suggests that the Gamer Edition might not have been updated in a looong time so who knows in what state it is...
April is long ago now ? Are you a mayfly ?

Does anyone know if it is possible to download a legacy version of GC from somewhere (specifically v2, preferably Linux version)? Have a code for it, but I haven't used it in a long time and now I cannot find that version.
January 2015, now that was long ago... (this version is probably incompatible with 2021 Linux, and it's definitely no longer supported, but hey if you bought v2 you're alright with me so here's a link :hug:)
https://www.gridcartographer.com/files/grid_cartographer_v2_1_1.tar.gz

Elwro

Arcane
April is long ago now ? Are you a mayfly ?
For all I know the Gamer Edition might be an abandoned, bug-ridden mess ;-) I don't see any mention of the time of its last version on your website.

As a potential customer: your website gives me the 'I finished the GE sometime ago and work continues exclusively on the Pro version' vibe, with no information on what this 'sometime ago' actually means.

Hidden Asbestos

Grid Cartographer
Developer
The version number (2021.4) is literally a date: year . month - and I can also confirm I'm still working on all 3 SKUs - just not fast enough I guess ;)

Hidden Asbestos

Grid Cartographer
Developer
Oh but that's great! Why do you write on your website, then, that you will only be updating the Steam version?
What, where does it say that? I'd definitely like to correct it since that's definitely not the impression I want to give !!

Elwro

Arcane
Oh but that's great! Why do you write on your website, then, that you will only be updating the Steam version?
What, where does it say that? I'd definitely like to correct it since that's definitely not the impression I want to give !!
"Grid Cartographer is also available on Steam and has all available features, equivalent to the Professional Edition. NOTE: Any future updates will be provided via the free Steam client."

English is my 2nd language so please take this with a grain of salt [?] but I took this NOTE to be a warning for future customers that if they want to get any update whatsoever they need to buy the Steam edition. Because, obviously -- as my train of thought went -- you wouldn't tell a Steam user they'd be getting their updates via Steam, right?

Now I see what you meant, but honestly it was confusing to me!

edit: here, http://gridcartographer.com/buy/

Hidden Asbestos

Grid Cartographer
Developer
Thanks Elwro, I've updated the wording to hopefully make it clearer. I hadn't considered that it looked like this was somehow saying I'd abandoned the other versions. It was just to explain what Steam was to people who might now know (In my experience as the GC customer support dept. - these people do still exist)

Red Hexapus

Learned
Thanks a lot for the link. It still works on Linux, but it seems I was very mistaken and it was further back in time than I remembered. The mail containing the code was from July 2013, so I guess it was still v1. How the time flies :)
No problem though, I'll try to grab a copy of v4 from either Steam or your website at some point (most likely during the sale).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom