Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grid Cartographer for creating dungeons in CRPGs

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
I plan on using Grid Cartographer professional edition to create maps for a Wizardry-like first-person tile-based CRPG. The professional edition allows you to export maps in a variety of file formats like JSON, XML, and CSV. Has anyone else done this? If not, what method for mapping would you recommend? I'm writing this in C so far, mostly out of not knowing any better.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Has anyone else done this?
I did it for testing purposes to see if it will optimize the level design process, as the last thing I want to do is to spend days planning a level only to realize the plan was fun on paper but sucks ass gameplay-wise.

It'll take a bit of work to parse the exported data and get used to the format, but you'll be able to add new dungeons and tweak their designs much faster.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
If there'll be any sort of map visualization in your game anyway then you may as well just make your own tool using a common code.

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
If there'll be any sort of map visualization in your game anyway then you may as well just make your own tool using a common code.
Any resources on how to go about doing so? I'm a complete gamedev virgin.

quaesta

Educated
Any resources on how to go about doing so? I'm a complete gamedev virgin.
  • Your map is either a 2D array or a 1D offset array, of entities
  • Each entitiy represents a tile (what is the floor), walls (what is the north, south, east, west) of it, ceiling (if applicable), flag (trap, quest, etc), and any creature/item on it
  • You have a toolbox (like picrel) of stuff you can place on it
  • save in whatever format you want
https://devblogs.microsoft.com/dotnet/wp-content/uploads/sites/10/2019/09/winforms-designer-1.png
It shouldn't be too hard, but if you're a codefag virgin it might be tricky. I've heard of people using Tiled, so you can give that a shot as well.
For actual libraries, you want something that can render windows. Anything can work, so just get your perferred language, and look up it's GUI library and you should be ready.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom