Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Grimoire - Better than Anything Else Out There

Mortmal

Arcane
Or its just trash fooling us with an alt, the real cleve died many years ago, and grimoire hasnt evolved since 1998.

MisterStone

Arcane
Cleve exists, OK? He once added some hidden text to the grimoire systems home page in order to prove to everyone that the guy posting here was the same person running that site and presumably developing grimoire. I suppose there is still some room for a grand deception, but the chance of fraud is more ridiculous than the reality that is Cleve.

Someone who remembers the epic Corpse Crew thread back me up here...

LittleJoe

Arbiter
Gragt said:
Maybe he just got old. That happened to a lot of people.

No flesh left.
Just steel bones.
And a vestige of humanity.

Oh wait that's Terminator.

SolipsisticUrge

Educated
As hilarious as Cleve is, I'll probably enjoy the shit out of Grimoire if it is ever actually released. Just as I will probably enjoy the shit out of Age of Decadence if it is ever actually released.

I'm in the 'Cleve doesn't exist crowd'. As in the original guy probably moved onto something else in life years ago, and someone else is just posting this stuff for troll-value. Compare his Usenet trolling to more recent posts on Codex. Same basic personality traits but only a fraction of the wit of his earlier writing. And that last part would be the hard part to fake.

An interesting theory which I will begin propagating solely for the inherent humor and irony.

Cassidy

Arcane
LittleJoe said:
Gragt said:
Maybe he just got old. That happened to a lot of people.

No flesh left.
Just titanium bones.
And a vestige of humanity.

Oh wait that's Terminator.

Fixed.

Jaesun said:
Duke Nukem Forever will be out before either of those games.

And will also be to Duke Nukem 3d what Fallout 3 is to Fallout 1 and 2.

SkeleTony

Augur
MisterStone said:
Well, the game has been in development since 1999. In the late 1990s Cleve was already all over Usenet being a jackass, so he's more than just a GD tard of course, he's a living legend. Apparently he is on better terms with RPG Watch, the Codex is just some place he showed up to bitch after Sol Invictus made a news post referring to him as a nazi... For whatever reason he comes back to GD every few months and begins with a new round of doomsday predictions and retardedness.

The game has been in development since 1997-98 at least(and I could swear I first remember reading about the game at the ancient RPG Vault site back when that site was cool circa '96 or '97). I even have the issue of Computer Gaming World from like '97 or '98 featuring a blurb about playing a then unreleased demo.

SkeleTony

Augur
PorkaMorka said:
The sad thing is, despite all that, Grimoire is my most anticipated RPG of 2011... and I don't even like blobbers.

You set the bar so low? About the only reason I am even mildly curious about it's release is because Cleve is such a poorly educated, racist moron with some sort of bipolar disorder. And I LOVE "blobbers". Given some of the design choices he has made I would rather re-play Wizardry 7 twice more than even trying Grimoire's demo.
Plus there is that whole pesky thing I have about morals. The same reason I won't give money or votes to Republicans(or even Democrats most of the time) is the same reason I would not buy Grimoire(or even play it if he paid ME to do so).

MisterStone said:
Cleve exists, OK? He once added some hidden text to the grimoire systems home page in order to prove to everyone that the guy posting here was the same person running that site and presumably developing grimoire. I suppose there is still some room for a grand deception, but the chance of fraud is more ridiculous than the reality that is Cleve.

I remember the Corpse Crew thread...it was exactly what I was referring to. If it's still the same guy, I find it impossible to believe that he is still actively working upon the game (either game, I guess). If he was a purely amateur indie, then maybe, but Cleve had significant experience in making the kind of game that he was supposed to be developing. He would know full well whether a project is going to be 'just around the corner' or completely FUBAR. He'd either have given up years ago or produced a game within 12 months (2 yrs max) of his original estimate.

Lord Haw Haw

Educated
I had a dream once where Cleve flew me down to Australia, all expenses paid, to be the first person to play the finally completed Grimoire. He looked just like his character in the Diversity comic except I didn't fear him. He was like Aslan, frightening but gentle. One felt secure in his presence, as if he was your father. I remember being amazed how such a primitive looking game could bring me so much happiness. He would stand over my shoulder and guide me through the world of Grimoire like Gandalf. Then after a while he gave me a tour of his bunker, which on the outside, looked like something from the Fallout world. Lot's of junk cars stacked up with giant sheets of tin for walls, but beneath was a complex of tunnels and hi-tech monitoring equipment; a wonderous labyrinth complete with an indoor pool and movie theatre. We watched Mad Max movies and later he showed me his exact replica of the car from Mad Max and asked me if I wanted to take a spin in it. We took turns driving it on the old desert roads sharing a bottle of Jesus juice, laughing joyously the whole time.
Then I woke up.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
MisterStone said:

That thread pretty much confirmed that Cleve (the one posting here anyway) is just a troll, and a shitty one at that.

EvilIndie

Educated
Well a troll could have gotten his domain. Didn't it lapse? I would not be surprise if it's actually DU except I don't think he is imaginative enough to make up the neanderthal thing.

Maybe someone should nslookup his domain?

The corpse crew was obvious troll, and he does use insult generator sometimes, but who knows.

But ultimately you have one guy making a game. 12 years is about the minimum timeframe I'd expect unless he can work full time and I presume he's had to support himself the last 12 years. So I don't see it as more vaporware than virtually any indie, maybe less so since the guy has credit on making other games unlike most indies where the situation is more like the fan made fallout hay guise lets make a game with our bros and 7 years later you have one map done.

Nickless

Educated
It wouldn't be Trash impersonating Cleve, he's consistently active in what would be reasonable hours for someone living in Australia, not the Netherlands. If it's anyone at all, it's DU.

PorkaMorka

Arcane
SkeleTony said:
PorkaMorka said:
The sad thing is, despite all that, Grimoire is my most anticipated RPG of 2011... and I don't even like blobbers.
You set the bar so low? About the only reason I am even mildly curious about it's release is because Cleve is such a poorly educated, racist moron with some sort of bipolar disorder. And I LOVE "blobbers". Given some of the design choices he has made I would rather re-play Wizardry 7 twice more than even trying Grimoire's demo.

It was mostly a comment about the lack of (non next gen) RPGs scheduled for 2011, I don't know all that much about Grimoire in terms of design.

As far as I know, it's only Grimoire, Age of Decadence and Avadon and out of those only Grimoire has a full party.

Of course, I expect Avadon will be the only one to actually come out, but so far all the design decisions I've read for that make it seem like it's going to be heavily dumbed down and streamlined.

Anyway, Cleve's internet persona makes me want to support his game more, as his posts have given me a large number of laughs.

Dyspaire

Cipher
Oaken said:
I will believe a baby can fly if it does come out.

Oh,you can get a baby to fly... but I have yet to meet one that had any idea on how to land properly.

Enjoy the veal.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Awesome final meeting with Mordecai that I came out of unscathed by using my diplomatic skills to give him the runaround instead of turning over the tablet I had acquired. After winning over Captain Krone early in the Village of Crowl, I was now marked as a made man by the Vanguard with a future in the officer corps and simply brought this to Mordecai’s attention. I had forgotten about that as well, this guy showed up threatening me to turn over the tablet or he’d blow me away, right after my party was still recovering from the Samhain Horror encounter. No way I would have survived so I just bluffed my way through it and it worked – Mordecai deferred until I could deal with him and his masters in the Vanguard, much later on in the game. I planned to join them soon and work within their ranks to destroy them instead of a direct confrontation. This will make my dealings later on with Ahriman a lot easier to weather when my goals begin to run counter to their aims.

This crazy talk reminded me of an unbelievable email I once received :

hy i am from romania and i dont speak and write english that well so if you find my writing a bit bad dont wonder why:)

well i like this game alot(Vampire-Bloodlines)i mean i play alot of games(baldur's gate,planescape torment,diablo,neverwinter nights,icewind dale,arcanum,fallout,sacred,titan throne-a bit dissap.with it,WoW,and my main is Guild Wars on witch i activate 4 years now)but i do have someting very very special to tell you.

first you must know if u never heard of it that there is a secret socyety of ultrahardcore gamers and they are called Darklight.they only have an overall of 2000 members and do not recruit often.i never managed to get to find the site since u cant google it or find any clues about it.from what i've heard you must find it somewhere at a farmer from germany make some weird donation and he will redirect you to a plaayer from it.but i never managed to get contact.anyway's that's not why i emailed you,i actually have a friend from romania(probalbbly the only1)who is on theyre clan.the problem is he doesnt share intel.now he did mentioned he made a 400 damage in baldur's gate 2 and i found the way to do it actually i managed to get 892 with backstab(no it's not the sunray undeade stuff),anyway at vampire bloodlines he is the only 1 in the world who have found this secret store witch amongst other ultra expensive things has an amulet with +3 to all soaks(costas like 10.000 ) now as you prolly guess i really need to stack that amulet with the +1 to all soaks from game and with my fortitude 5 from my gangrel to create a immortal character.i can provide some of the hints he gaved me to find it though he never told me ethe exact place not even now afther 4 years.they are not the sharing type and to be honest this thing is so huge that if i would find it i dont now if i should tell it since no1 in the world has found it so far.so he sais it is in holywood behind a building or so(dont remember corectly) and afther u speak with some1 anyway the point is that he sais i think someting about eighter the werewolf or gargoyle or just a vampire i didnt payed mutch attention to what he said cuse i though i would find it but nowhere is listed.anyway what i do remember is that you must make a run for it through a tunnel and if u are really fast at the end of it you will find some1 if i remember corectly he is the 1 who will sell the hidden items. \\what i cant expalin myself is how afther all these many years no1 found it.i am doing a replay game research myself i finding it and if i succed i will tell you i was hoping u might ahave some iddeas where it might be or what are the posibilityes.at least i want to know if it exists cuse it makes me wonder why did no1 found it so far.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
ghostdog said:
This crazy talk reminded me of an unbelievable email I once received :

hy my name is david alimpescu i am from romania and i dont speak and write english that well so if you find my writing a bit bad dont wonder why:)

well i like this game alot(Vampire-Bloodlines)i mean i play alot of games(baldur's gate,planescape torment,diablo,neverwinter nights,icewind dale,arcanum,fallout,sacred,titan throne-a bit dissap.with it,WoW,and my main is Guild Wars on witch i activate 4 years now)but i do have someting very very special to tell you.

first you must know if u never heard of it that there is a secret socyety of ultrahardcore gamers and they are called Darklight.they only have an overall of 2000 members and do not recruit often.i never managed to get to find the site since u cant google it or find any clues about it.from what i've heard you must find it somewhere at a farmer from germany make some weird donation and he will redirect you to a plaayer from it.but i never managed to get contact.anyway's that's not why i emailed you,i actually have a friend from romania(probalbbly the only1)who is on theyre clan.the problem is he doesnt share intel.now he did mentioned he made a 400 damage in baldur's gate 2 and i found the way to do it actually i managed to get 892 with backstab(no it's not the sunray undeade stuff),anyway at vampire bloodlines he is the only 1 in the world who have found this secret store witch amongst other ultra expensive things has an amulet with +3 to all soaks(costas like 10.000 ) now as you prolly guess i really need to stack that amulet with the +1 to all soaks from game and with my fortitude 5 from my gangrel to create a immortal character.i can provide some of the hints he gaved me to find it though he never told me ethe exact place not even now afther 4 years.they are not the sharing type and to be honest this thing is so huge that if i would find it i dont now if i should tell it since no1 in the world has found it so far.so he sais it is in holywood behind a building or so(dont remember corectly) and afther u speak with some1 anyway the point is that he sais i think someting about eighter the werewolf or gargoyle or just a vampire i didnt payed mutch attention to what he said cuse i though i would find it but nowhere is listed.anyway what i do remember is that you must make a run for it through a tunnel and if u are really fast at the end of it you will find some1 if i remember corectly he is the 1 who will sell the hidden items. \\what i cant expalin myself is how afther all these many years no1 found it.i am doing a replay game research myself i finding it and if i succed i will tell you i was hoping u might ahave some iddeas where it might be or what are the posibilityes.at least i want to know if it exists cuse it makes me wonder why did no1 found it so far.

:lol:

Why don't I ever get any of these wacky e-mails.

Phelot

Arcane
Cleve is gonna release this game and it's gonna revoltionize the entire gaming journalism industry, I mean we're gonna ghave to change the def. of what Role Playing Game means. I've see the beta, I've read Corwins impressions, the game is elgit and it's gonna melt your faggot faces into helish semen forever. Do you know stats? Do you know dices? No, you don't because you havent played this game yet so fuck off haters it's gonna be so fucking damn great and its almost done how stupid will you be when youre pkaying it and you think about how yous aid it wasnt foing to work you gay satanic devil?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
This will be the first game I torrent. I don't know how to do that, but hopefully someone will give me pointers.

I will be buying AoD however. Maybe 2 copies or more if this is the cover:

AODthumbnail010op.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom