Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Grimoire is 99 cents on GOG

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Grimoire is on sale for 99 cents on GOG right now.

Someone should call all his woke friends from twatter and prepare for the hold-up of the century, if you gather 2 million of them and each buys one copy, you'll rob Cleve blind by (30$ -0.99$) x 2 000 000 = roughly 58 Million $.

Go and call them, fast!

Even better if you reach 5 million of them.

Edit : typo

Last edited:

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I remember Cleve lying it would never go on sale. Do you guys remember that? Him lying like that?

It is now so cheap, even I bought it a couple of months back.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
I didn't even know it was on GOG, after all the rejections Cleve got. Reading through the reviews, it's funny that the scores are higher than that of Steam's, showing that GOG's community is the perfect audience for a game like Grimoire, and that the poles were idiots for rejecting it so many times.

Humanophage

Arcane
I already have it on Steam, but I'll grab it anyway to boost the sale figure.

On the other hand, Knights of the Chalice 2 costs over $40. Come on, man. It's $15 for the Kazakhstanis, you know you can have normal prices.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
* 600 hours of play possible in a single game

How overhyped is this statement?

I'm currently playing through Legend of Grimrock 2, and it's the first dungeon crawler I ever played. This is the first time I'm actually excited to explore and discover what else is in the game. I haven't felt like that since I played my first Elder Scrolls game. I tried recommended games from the codex like fallout and PST but they are snoozefests compared to LoG2. Now I'm thinking I may have found my favorite type of RPG, and looking to play more dungeon crawlers after finishing LoG2, currently at around ~40%.

I was thinking of playing eye of the beholder next, but after reading the outrageous sales page of Grimoire, I'm wondering how much of it is true. Should I go for this over eye of the beholder?

Last edited:

Late Bloomer

Scholar
I'm currently playing through Legend of Grimrock 2, and it's the first dungeon crawler I ever played. I haven't felt like that since I played my first Elder Scrolls game.

And what would that be? The Elder Scrolls: Legends?

somerandomdude

Learned

I don't know about 600hrs, but I did get about 120-130 out of it. I typically consider getting 1h per dollar spent on a game a decent purchase, and I paid the original $39.99 for the game, which is triple game time per dollar that I would expect for a decent purchase even at that price? If you like blobbers at all, you're gonna get a lot of play time out of this game. It's probably the best game that's ever been sold for a dollar.

Vic

Savant

I don't know about 600hrs, but I did get about 120-130 out of it. I typically consider getting 1h per dollar spent on a game a decent purchase, and I paid the original $39.99 for the game, which is triple game time per dollar that I would expect for a decent purchase even at that price? If you like blobbers at all, you're gonna get a lot of play time out of this game. It's probably the best game that's ever been sold for a dollar.
Thanks, just saw it was made by a single dev, gonna pass on that and play eye of beholder and wizardries first before I play indie dungeon crawlers.

somerandomdude

Learned

Thanks, just saw it was made by a single dev, gonna pass on that and play eye of beholder and wizardries first before I play indie dungeon crawlers.

Those are all smaller games than Grimoire. Grimoire is the Donald of blobbers. I guess saving the best for last would be a reasonable move, but that's certainly not your intention.

Vic

Savant
Those are all smaller games than Grimoire. Grimoire is the Donald of blobbers.
I love Wizardry 7. I think it is one of the best designed RPG of all times. I have played and finished five times so I can compare it with Grimoire, that is almost a clone of that RPG gem, very fairly.

In a few words: Grimoire is just broken and unfinished.

Grimoire looks very similar to Wizardry in almost every aspect, the appearance, the gameplay, the GUI, the atmosphere... It really catches that old-school feeling but, it just that, appearance...
The most important part of a good RPG is the design, the code that is is behind the scenes. And I'am sorry to say, that Grimoire fails. Wizardry 7 is a game very well balanced, the mechanisms work very well from the beginning of the game to the end. And that is something super hard to do, even new RPGs of AAA quality fails in that aspect, or just have an over simplified systems. There is no new RPG as deep as Wizardry 7 at all, and Grimoire even trying to copy their gameplay during 20 years and finally it is just a broken mess:

The levelling system is broken, the combat is broken, the looting is broken, the encounters is just a joke. After playing it for 80 hours the disappointment is so huge that I needed to start a new Wizardry 7 game.

Just play the old classics like Wizardry or Might and Magic, or modern RPGs well designed like Lords of Xulima, Legend of Grimrock or Underrail.
The game itself is not good, way shorter than marketed, and the audio is terrible. The UI is clumsy, the monsters are boring. After a bit, you will keep using the same attack configuration over and over again. And every time a patch comes out, your saves get corrupt. The author of the game was begging for good reviews on Steam in a News. I nicely told him to not do that because good reviews come in naturally when people think the rating is not fair. I got permanently banned for this comment. Just wow. So yeah, I'm *butthurt*, here comes the zero.
Yeah, I think I'll stick with eye of the beholder for now...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom