Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Grimoire Thread

Discussion in 'Golden Era Games' started by LESS T_T, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Cleveland Mark Blakemore Golden Era Games Übermensch Developer Sad Loser

Cleveland Mark Blakemore
    It could have been ... so ... good ... had it been turn-based. The engine was awesome but real time doesn't work unless it has a sort of EOB phased quality which gives you some time to give commands. The frantic clicking does not feel like an RPG. If people wanted reality they would not play computer games.

The dreamlike quality of Disco Elysium and the pacing is why it is so rewarding to play as opposed to GrimRock which is like Diet Root Beer gone flat.

• Brofist Brofist x 8
    • sheeeeiiiit sheeeeiiiit x 1
    • Racist Racist x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Darth Canoli Arcane

Darth Canoli
    The engine isn't good at all, it's graphically pleasing but nothing more and even graphically, it's limited, you can't see secrets buttons from afar so you have to hug every single wall or play with a walkthrough.

And of course, RT combat can't be dissociated from the engine and it's terrible, even if you take it as it is and change it to TB, it wouldn't just mystically get very good, it'd be mediocre at best.

Last but not least, the system is dumbed down so much the game is more a med-fan FPS than a blobber/dungeon crawler...

Last edited: Sep 24, 2021
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Corbin Dallas Multipass Learned

Corbin Dallas Multipass
    U wot m8?

Hah, you would like everyone to forget all the times you showed your ass but 5 years isn't that long when the man himself is available for comment. People still make Monica Lewisnky jokes and that was what, 200, 300 years ago?
    Anyway my mom warned me about people like you, she said there would be those who are intimidated by how cool I am (Coolest kid in class, I'll have you know). So I get it, but you need to work through your issues. Not the least is your predictable projection of your own obvious lust for man ass. It's OK to just be gay Cleve, you don't have to pretend anymore. Hell, you can wear a pretty dress and make everyone call you a beautiful woman, it's the 90s!

However, if you'd rather I make fun of you for something more recent you're gonna have to work hard to top your all time bests.

• Shit x 4
    • retadred x 3
    • butthurt x 2
    • Participation Award x 1
    • rolleyes x 1
    • I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 1
    • Bro, do you even lift? x 1
    • Peaceful protest x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Butter Arcane

Butter
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Lady Error █▓▒░ ░▒▓█ Patron

Lady Error
    Strap Yourselves In
    The guy who ran grimoire.wiki says he does not own the domain anymore. Probably let it expire without setting up automatic renewal.

The content of the website is also available in archive.org:

https://web.archive.org/web/20190101232217/http://grimoire.wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Though the links do not work and you have to type in the page name individually on top.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Cleveland Mark Blakemore Golden Era Games Übermensch Developer Sad Loser

Cleveland Mark Blakemore
    I really should host that wiki. I have a new server set up and ready for the new home page for Grimoire & Golden Era games, will set it all up this month at some point. Will also put up the HTML version of the manual and a download link for the .PDF on the Golden Era Games page when it is ready. Going to need it in order to have a web page to support the blobber engine series I am working on now.

In the meanwhile it is great to know I can get the definitive version of the Wikli from here on the Codex.

• Brofist x 12
    • Friendly x 2
    • Cheers!! x 1
    • Salute x 1
    • Racist x 1
    • Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Lady Error █▓▒░ ░▒▓█ Patron

Lady Error
    Strap Yourselves In
    • Brofist Brofist x 6
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • nice nice x 1
    • PIRACY IS WRONG PIRACY IS WRONG x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Lady Error █▓▒░ ░▒▓█ Patron

Lady Error
    Strap Yourselves In
    • Friendly Friendly x 5
    • Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • PIRACY IS WRONG PIRACY IS WRONG x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. groke Arcane Patron

groke
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera BattleTech
    So it's been a couple of years since I last came to this thread, did the printed manual/hintbook/dvds ever go out? Its space on my bookshelf is developing a patina.

• Yes Yes x 2
    • Old Old x 2
    • It's a matter of time It's a matter of time x 1
    • No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Cleveland Mark Blakemore Golden Era Games Übermensch Developer Sad Loser

Cleveland Mark Blakemore
    You should have gotten a .PDF manual with your last update of the game.

Otherwise printing the boxed copy with manual and hintbook takes money. As soon as I make enough I will run them off for the IndieGoGo. I realize that some pledges may not be alive by the time that happens.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2021
    • Salute Salute x 4
    • Racist Racist x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Dorateen Arcane

Dorateen
    Not only did the manual go out, I had it printed and bound.

Show Spoiler

[​IMG]

• Prestigious x 11
    • incline x 3
    • Brofist x 2
    • nice x 2
    • Salute x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Creative x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. GandGolf Savant

GandGolf
    Alas this is going to be the only way backers will ever get any physical goods. By making the items themselves. NO signed DVD case or cloth map, at least not from Cleve anyway.

• Despair Despair x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    • cuck cuck x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Dorateen Arcane

Dorateen
    Self-sufficiency is an admirable quality, and builds character.

Thank you, Cleve!

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Zed Duke of Banville Zo Kath Ra Patron

Zed Duke of Banville
    [​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • When words are not enough When words are not enough x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Arthandas Arbiter

Arthandas
    Looks like Grimoire is once again free on Steam. V4 incoming?

• incline x 2
    • FAKE NEWS x 2
    • consume product x 1
    • it is a mystery x 1
    • Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. kain611 Augur

kain611
    First post in......awhile....what did I miss? When is the inevitable sequel coming Cleve?

• It's a matter of time It's a matter of time x 2
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Cleveland Mark Blakemore Golden Era Games Übermensch Developer Sad Loser

Cleveland Mark Blakemore
    You don't even know what you don't know. You don't even know that I know that you don't know what I know about what you don't know.

Turns out ... I don't know either. When the sequel is coming.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    • Racist Racist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Lady Error █▓▒░ ░▒▓█ Patron

Lady Error
    Strap Yourselves In
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Fedora Master Arcane Patron Edgy

Fedora Master
    Tried the new patch. Still boring and too long/slow.

e: lol completely wrong thread I thought this was the Grim Dawn thread. :lol:

Last edited: Oct 31, 2021
    • Participation Award Participation Award x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • M'lady M'lady x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Lady Error █▓▒░ ░▒▓█ Patron

Lady Error
    Strap Yourselves In
    Grimoire has been on the GOG front page for a couple days... for $2.

• Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Arthandas Arbiter

Arthandas
    Like I said - free.

During the previous sale Cleve said it's the second to last discount before the "V4 Mega Excellence Git Gud version", so I'm assuming it's almost done, probably just a year or two before release.

• FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 3
    • It's a matter of time It's a matter of time x 2
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • Math! Math! x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Kliwer Learned

Kliwer
    I have finally purchased this blessed baby of Incline. I'm getting ready for the first, virgin game.

It took me a long time to think about this purchase. Mainly because some of the gameplay features are not to my liking. Generally, I don't like the "phase" combat system. I also don't like RPG systems based on crazy multiclassing. I am also rejected by all these "animal" races (half-wolves, half-lizards etc.) with almost no lore about them.

Whatever. Since the game has been recognized by Codex as a blessing - let's give it a chance.

After a few hours spent on the manual with paper and pencil, I finally finished planning my team. I am asking for your comments and pointing out cardinal errors.

1. Barrower: Metalsmith->Berserker [class change around level 9-10]

2. Giant: Warrior->Berserker [class change around level 7-8]

3. Leonar: Ranger->Warrior->Pirate [first class change around 6-7 level; second class change as soon as possible]

4. Naga: Thief->Assassin [class change as soon as possible]

5. Wolfin: Cleric->Templar [class change after level 9]

6. Feyfolk: Bard->Sage->Necromancer [first class change after level 9; second class change as soon as possible]

7. Aeorb: Sage->Wizard [class change after level 9]

8. Barrower: Wizard->Thaumaturg [class change after level 9]

I will only develop attributes to the level necessary to change the class; the rest will be collected and spend only after the final class change.

Is there anything else I should know?

As I said - I don't really like multiclassing. I tried to limit myself to 2-3 classes per character.

Additional question: can this game be played comfortably with a team of single-class characters?

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • incline incline x 2
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Ludwig von Eisenthal Augur

Ludwig von Eisenthal
    I also don't like multiclassing - normally. But here I became a crazy multiclass-fanatic and couldn't rest before not every single one of my characters had at least five class changes. I think multiclassing is part of the soul of Grimoire. And even if you really don't like multiclassing you should try to get yourself a Jester. It's more than worth it.

^ Top  
  24. Lady Error █▓▒░ ░▒▓█ Patron

Lady Error
    Strap Yourselves In
    Yes. You can also recruit lots of NPC characters, including a Jester. You don't have to multiclass.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • popamole popamole x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Kliwer Learned

Kliwer
    Judging by the traffic in the thread - I'm terribly late for the party :). Whatever.

I'm not that far in the game yet. I am visiting the third larger location (Gardens of Midnight). Behind me there are two pretty cool dungeons (Shrine of Raptor, Aquavia) and one completely shitty (some cave with a ghost-boss). Overall, my impressions are positive, although the game also has a lot of obvious weaknesses. Some inevitable, some incomprehensible.

Exploration is fine; a bit like M&M but content is not so dense. The combat system is pointless and boring. In general, I like everything that resembles M&M in this game. And I don't like anything that resembles Wizardry (but that's a personal preference). In fact, the game could be briefly described as a mixture of these two styles of gameplay.

Random observations:

- I love the dialogue system. Having to type the right words yourself makes everything seem so mysterious. Game developers really should use this system more often.

- I have no problem with the fact that our logbook does not record all information automatically. And yet keeping notes on a piece of paper is tiring and unnecessary. The game should offer us some kind of journal/notebook inside the software itself. It would be nice to be able to manually note down "inside" the game, especially during dialogues. For example, it would be useful to have a diary that we can open at any time. Preferably with 5-10 bookmarks that we can manually name. I know I can open the game in a window mod and write in the notepad. But it's not the same. Overall, the lack of such a tool is my main complaint against this game.

- There are too many random fights, even on the "rare" setting.

- In fights, I would definitely prefer the classic turn-based system (action-> reaction) to the current "phase" system. This solution has always rejected me from the Wizardry series.

- Overall, I like the game's fantastic, fairy-tale atmosphere. The only thing that irritates me are these "animal" races. I hate when our gang looks like a fucking zoo. Half lizards, half wolves, half cats... It reminds me of those idiotic cartoons where animals play people...
    [​IMG]

I also don't like the fact that we can play evil races (drows, vampires). This clashes with the classic, adventure gameplay style.

- Overall, the game does not go beyond the classic dungeon-crawler style. For me, this has one negative consequence: our team is really nothing more than a table of numbers and parameters. If the parameter names were changed, we might as well steer a tank with eight customizable turrets. I know this is standard in this sub-genre. Nevertheless, many newer games try to break this "mechanical" impression. For example, in Wizardry 8 or M&M 10 our characters have some voices and taunts that allow us to treat them as individuals. This was missing here (though for understandable reasons).

I know this is an unpopular opinion, but I would prefer that we did not form the entire team at once. I'd rather find companions in the game world. They are supposed to be in the game - but they have some absurd parameters. In the first city, I wanted to add a fairy-thaumaturge to the team. But when I looked at her character sheet, I quit (more mana than the whole team combined; all skills 40/50+).

We'll see what happens next. The game reminds me of Wizards and Warriors in some ways. Good mechanics and structure of the location, nice dungeon designs, amazing atmosphere of adventure, no hand holding - but at the same time an unpleasant interface and numerous minor inconveniences. A very good game - and very irritating at the same time.

• Disagree x 3
    • Cheers!! x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 1
    • Interesting x 1
    • M'lady x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.