Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire Thread

Arthandas

Arbiter
Actually, I'm starting to think V4 is a
red_herring1.png

Beastro

Arcane
Entering the tabernacle I was hoping to get cool instruments but that never happened. As I was leaving the area disappointed, the game crashed and kept crashing until I walked backwards out the entrance.
So that's how you can bypass that bug? Why has Cleve still not fixed it yet?
This tip should be added to the wiki or something.
That's not a bug, man. Look up the High Priest's duties in the Tabernacle.

Mad props to Cleve for such an awesome bit in a game. They need more of those.

Last edited:

flinar

Barely Literate
I bought Grimoire for $0.99 last night along with Legends of Amberland. My first impression wasn't very good overall, and I quit after struggling with the battles in Briarpatch Woods. After reading this thread I will give it another shot.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I bought Grimoire for $0.99 last night along with Legends of Amberland. My first impression wasn't very good overall, and I quit after struggling with the battles in Briarpatch Woods. After reading this thread I will give it another shot.
You can always choose your starting area.
https://www.magicgameworld.com/grimoire-heralds-of-the-winged-exemplar-starting-locations/
Yes, but Briarpatch Wood is the easiest entrypoint as far as I remember, isn't it?

flinar yeah, I felt the same for the first hour or so. But afterwards I was in for a wild ride that never bored me for even a minute and dured over half a year to finish. It was beyond epic and shadows most RPGs brutally. Without any shred of doubt one of the best games I've ever experienced, but it needs a bit of investement and dedication in the first hour(s). I recommend reading some of the great beginner's guides over on Steam. They really helped me.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

flinar

Barely Literate
Just a quick update.

I began a new adventure with the quickstart party. This time the party had an easier time with the caterpillars. Their vitality must have been low previously. I read somewhere that can prevent hits from penetrating armor. My spell-casters were also able to land a few spells, whereas previously they missed every time. I was able to locate an underground are, and the visuals actually looked pretty good down there! Ultimately, a group of "?HUMMINGBIRDS?" wiped the party before anyone leveled up.

This second run improved my impression somewhat. The UI is clunky, but I could get used to that. The graphics and feel are authentically retro, which is good. This first area has enough non-combat interactions to make me curious what else is in store, and the NPC dialog made me smile. Combat feels either too slow or, if I hold [enter], too fast. This issue with combat may be a non-starter, though I should see how it works after gaining a few levels. Lastly, the mechanic where I don't even know the name of the enemy I'm fighting is neat.

I purchased Legends of Amberland on the same night, and they are practically mirrors of each other. Amberland runs beautifully in 4k, has a UI that becomes 2nd nature after 30 minutes, and the party just breezes through combat. On the other hand, its world feels like an assortment of quirky side-quests rather than an promising an interesting plot. I'm basically fighting enemies for levels and gear only so I can fight stronger enemies.

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I began a new adventure with the quickstart party. This time the party had an easier time with the caterpillars. Their vitality must have been low previously. I read somewhere that can prevent hits from penetrating armor. My spell-casters were also able to land a few spells, whereas previously they missed every time. I was able to locate an underground are, and the visuals actually looked pretty good down there! Ultimately, a group of "?HUMMINGBIRDS?" wiped the party before anyone leveled up.
You may want to check out the Beginners Tips here:

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...copied-here-grimoire-wiki-is-up-again.129093/

whocares

Savant
Way I did it was start with the quickstart party to learn what's what. Got up to around the Green Hand Gang that way. Rerolled a custom party, knowing the basics. Got to the Samhain horror with that. By then I had a general idea of how progression worked, so I started a new custom party, and with that one, I beat the game. Point is - don't be afraid to reroll. That's how you're supposed to play old school games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Top Bottom