Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire Thread

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Agreed that the game goes heavy on quantity to the detriment of quality. Up until you go over the falls it's the best blobber ever made, then you have 100 more hours of game of varying but consistently lower quality.
Still better quality than any other blobber in the last 10-20 years.

While I agree that the first 20% or so of the game are the most polished, I also enjoyed the "open world" part after that a lot.

Morblot

Aberrant Member | Star Trek V Apologist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
While I agree that the first 20% or so of the game are the most polished, I also enjoyed the "open world" part after that a lot.
Agree. In my opinion it is even a bit disjointed in how it basically changes from a quite linear but polished game to a more rough but sandboxy one. But I suppose that also played a part in my being so motivated to play it through: the experience doesn't get stale as the game sort of reinvents itself at that point.

Shaki

Arbiter
The entire snake temple/dungeon comes to mind.
The Baphomet Megalith was one of the high points for me. Because of how the game opens up at that point, it depends when you explore the content. It was indeed a slog, but that is how our party endured and grew stronger. It is interesting, as some people claim the game gets easier as you go on, but this dungeon was a true challenge, a fight for survival. Gaining every inch of ground was an accomplishment, and I enjoyed the puzzles as well as the new tiles sets used for this location. The boss encounter was also memorable.
Wut, it was the easiest dungeon in the game, because IIRC has 0 instakills/gear destroying etc. enemies (or at least I didn't notice any), which were the only mechanics that required you to ever actually pay attention to combat after first couple of hours.

I remember it being the lowest point for me since it offered absolutely no challenge, was long af, and puzzles were were pretty meh compared to the rest of the game. After few floors I literally pulled up a movie on my second monitor, to watch while fast-forwarding through the endless fights. It's not like Grimoire combat in general was challenging (once you level up speed and lethal blow = gg), but at least instakill enemies forced me to pay attention, and even sometimes cast some spells and shit when I got unlucky and half of my squad got instagibbed first round. Megalith was a slog because you can go through every fight without looking at the screen, but it still took 5 hours to fast forward through all the encounters.

Grimoire mostly shines with it's atmosphere, puzzles and general feel of the game, and I feel Megalith failed at all of these, while also having most boring combat (A LOT OF IT), being long af and floors mostly feeling the same, with nothing new and exciting. Comparing it to areas like Lochs section, which was absolutely amazing and probably the best gaming experience I had in recent years, Megalith felt like a different game.

Dorateen

Arcane
The Baphomet Megalith was one of the high points for me. Because of how the game opens up at that point, it depends when you explore the content. It was indeed a slog, but that is how our party endured and grew stronger. It is interesting, as some people claim the game gets easier as you go on, but this dungeon was a true challenge, a fight for survival. Gaining every inch of ground was an accomplishment, and I enjoyed the puzzles as well as the new tiles sets used for this location. The boss encounter was also memorable.
Wut, it was the easiest dungeon in the game, because IIRC has 0 instakills/gear destroying etc. enemies (or at least I didn't notice any)
Naga fighters absolutely have insta-kill capability, which makes them a threat.

Gorgon was the second tablet I went after, meaning it was relatively early in the game for our party. It definitely was a challenge.

Shaki

Arbiter
Wut, it was the easiest dungeon in the game, because IIRC has 0 instakills/gear destroying etc. enemies (or at least I didn't notice any)
Naga fighters absolutely have insta-kill capability, which makes them a threat.

Gorgon was the second tablet I went after, meaning it was relatively early in the game for our party. It definitely was a challenge.

I did Waterport/Lochs areas first, and had already maxed lethal blow + had very high speed on most of my chars, so maybe that's the difference. Never even noticed Naga fighters being capable of instakills, maybe their speed just sucks enough that they never actually got the chance to do it to me. I'm 100% sure none of my chars died even once during the whole Megalith run.

Still, as I said, combat wasn't the only problem, the amount of it and overall the dungeon feeling pretty meh and uninspired was the bigger issue. Like, the "pull the chain to close the pit somewhere, to find another chain to close another pit, to find another chain to close another pit..." thing was fun for some time on the first floor where I encountered it, but after like 3 floors of doing it on every step, it was just tiring. Actually was there any other puzzle or interesting mechanic in the whole dungeon? I remember nothing but pulling chains and fastforwarding fights for hours. Oh, and I think there also was an absolutely pointless "puzzle", or more like a fetchquest, with statuettes and pedestals.

Idk, I was just super hyped going into Megalith, it looked cool as hell from the outside, but at the end I felt nothing but disappointment and actually dropped the game for like 2 days. Whole thing just felt bad.

Some other sections, like Pyramid or Skulheim for example, which I did later, were also super easy for my party, but I remember them fondly and enjoyed the shit out of them. 95% of the game was pure goodness, while Megalith is just an absolutely boring slog in my memory, and I would rather get waterboarded than replay it. Only part of the game, where I had to force myself to push through and didn't find anything enjoyable about it.

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
Entering the tabernacle I was hoping to get cool instruments but that never happened. As I was leaving the area disappointed, the game crashed and kept crashing until I walked backwards out the entrance.

GandGolf

Augur
Entering the tabernacle I was hoping to get cool instruments but that never happened. As I was leaving the area disappointed, the game crashed and kept crashing until I walked backwards out the entrance.
So that's how you can bypass that bug? Why has Cleve still not fixed it yet?
This tip should be added to the wiki or something.

Modron

Arcane
Gimp Mask, 11, is still floating around out there like Ibbz. Zed, 17, is another long time active staff member. Had to go way out to Major_Blackhart at 166 to find a really active old timer. (It's possible there is someone in there before him that hides their profile of course)

Edit went through all 2002 non hidden accounts: Azael, 178. Lemon, 185. MF, 190 (long time member turned pretty good game Developer, going to go full Morgoth on The Jovian System). Trash, 358, made it to 2020. Elwro, 464. Markman, 469 (the giftgiver). Barghest, 437 has been missing a few months.

Made it all the way to 475 where 2003 members begin, so that's that for 2002 non staff posters minus 2 elder lurkers. Surprised my original account I only made a solitary post on wasn't lost with a lot of the inactive 300 numbered members.

Last edited:

Arthandas

Prophet
Actually, I'm starting to think V4 is a
red_herring1.png

Beastro

Arcane
So that's how you can bypass that bug? Why has Cleve still not fixed it yet?
This tip should be added to the wiki or something.
That's not a bug, man. Look up the High Priest's duties in the Tabernacle.

Mad props to Cleve for such an awesome bit in a game. They need more of those.

Last edited:

flinar

Novice
I bought Grimoire for $0.99 last night along with Legends of Amberland. My first impression wasn't very good overall, and I quit after struggling with the battles in Briarpatch Woods. After reading this thread I will give it another shot.

I bought Grimoire for $0.99 last night along with Legends of Amberland. My first impression wasn't very good overall, and I quit after struggling with the battles in Briarpatch Woods. After reading this thread I will give it another shot.
You can always choose your starting area.
https://www.magicgameworld.com/grimoire-heralds-of-the-winged-exemplar-starting-locations/
Yes, but Briarpatch Wood is the easiest entrypoint as far as I remember, isn't it?

flinar yeah, I felt the same for the first hour or so. But afterwards I was in for a wild ride that never bored me for even a minute and dured over half a year to finish. It was beyond epic and shadows most RPGs brutally. Without any shred of doubt one of the best games I've ever experienced, but it needs a bit of investement and dedication in the first hour(s). I recommend reading some of the great beginner's guides over on Steam. They really helped me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom