Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire V2 Short Review (or is it V3?)

Darth Canoli

Arcane
I thought it was V2 but Game version is 3.something.
I'm not going to babble about the game roots or the history of the game's development or whatever else, it has been covered already and it's not my thing anyway.
What I'm going to do is to list what I like and what I dislike, nothing more and nothing less.

This playthrough isn't over, so far, I reached Samhain Crypt and that's the furthest I've ever been. It's probably around 30 hours of gameplay already so I guess it's enough to give an opinion as most games are over after 30 hours.

Exploration

:obviously: :obviously: :obviously: Great dungeon design, not all dungeons are amazing but so far, they're all good enough, the floating text giving you some information about your surroundings in some places add to the atmosphere, puzzles are not meant to be solved by pulling levers randomly, you can find some info in game to solve them, just like it's supposed to be (I won't name the offenders)

:obviously: :obviously: Secrets everywhere. If your scouting skill check is successful, the game tells you there's something hidden and conjointly, the Detect Secrets spell blinks to warn you when it's on if there's anything weird around. True Seeing lets you see through illusionary walls. Everything is well handled, you don't have to hug every wall pixel hunting to find secrets (not naming this one either).

:obviously: :obviously: Many different monsters with their own set of skills, spells and resistances. Again, it's well handled. Cherry on the cake, there's many "boss fights". It's just fun.

:obviously: Signs outside of shops and recognizable areas (I'm not naming those ones either)

:obviously: ?DOG? A simple thing, really but how often the mythology skill is really useful in cRPG? Even when there's one remotely working, by the time you get full intel on a category of monsters, that's when you're about to move on to a new area and never see a single one of them ever again.
Not here, you increase your mythology skill which works for every kind of creatures, it was never meant to work any differently.

:obviously: Different starting areas giving different bonus like unlocking dungeons late game of giving starting equipment or skill bonus.

:argh:Microscopic letter box at the bottom of the screen.

:argh: Small and weird police going with the small letterbox not helping readability.

:argh: Raghilda sprite, it's probably an inside joke targeting a certain group of retards people but still.

Character development

:obviously: A lot of magic schools. There's even a hidden unlockable school of magic.

:obviously: Learning an Eldritch spell turn a character insane.

:obviously: You don't lose attribute points on level-up (anymore?)

:obviously: Bonus Attribute points which carry over multiple classes you can use to reach your next class requirements or save up for your last class.

:obviously: Bonus spells on level up are stored if you quit the screen and come back later.

Combat and QoL

:bro: Fast travel. Pure incline!
It's not the only game doing this but it's perfectly implemented in Grimoire.
Every single video game dev should take a good look at how it's done.
You can create multiple waypoints on the map, each with a single click, then you click pathfinding and a last click to walk and exit the map.
If you're interrupted by an encounter, fast travel resumes afterwards.

:obviously: Combat is good, some spells are the I WIN button but otherwise, I find the difficulty up to my standards on max difficulty (started on 4/5).

:obviously: Fast combat by pressing ENTER. A speed slider in the options and modifiable in the combat screen (x1 x3 x10 speed) would have been better but it works fine just as it is.

:obviously: Items you drop on the ground stay there so you can find yourself a nice place where to stash your extra consumables and equipment.

:argh:Limited inventory space, alleviated by the storing trick mentioned earlier.

:argh:The big new inventory/crafting management not allowing to equip nor stack items.

CONCLUSION

It's good, great exploration and combat, interesting itemization, many spells, interesting character development, all the ingredients are here.
If the letterbox grew 4/5 times larger when there's somethign to read with a twice as large and more readable police, Grimoire would probably make my top 5 blobbers of all times with the best M&M and Wizardry titles.
It's still good but less enjoyable, some people used to play their face glued to their screen might not notice it.

fabrulana

Augur
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Agree definitely on the readability. This have put me off from playing the game so far. My eye sight is not what it used to be and trying to play on a laptop doesn't help.

Dorateen

Arcane
Exploration and party building were the high points for me. And Cleve's writing, everything from descriptive narration to items to NPC encounters.

There are some stand out dungeons as you go further past Samhain.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Exploration

:argh:Microscopic letter box at the bottom of the screen.

:argh: Small and weird police going with the small letterbox not helping readability.

:argh: Raghilda sprite, it's probably an inside joke targeting a certain group of retards people but still.

Combat and QoL

:argh:Limited inventory space, alleviated by the storing trick mentioned earlier.

:argh:The big new inventory/crafting management not allowing to equip nor stack items.

so all ur complaints are related to QoL

its not the games fault youre old or have a short attention span

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Agree definitely on the readability. This have put me off from playing the game so far. My eye sight is not what it used to be and trying to play on a laptop doesn't help.
Yes, this is my problem too. Has been for some time. If a game has say small/fixed fonts or has bad readability for any other reason i tend to think twice before playing. I'm getting more and more blind every year and some games are clearly meant for people with good eyesight only. Sad but true.

Self-Ejected

Lim-Dûl

Self-Ejected
You can make the game fit to screen. Then the letters will be easier to read. Resolution settings don't do what they say they do so you need to experiment with them.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
You can make the game fit to screen. Then the letters will be easier to read. Resolution settings don't do what they say they do so you need to experiment with them.

I'm playing in full screen mode with two black borders on the sides, is there anything better?

The crafting screen is the only place where you can stack items (and they give a satisfying PLOOP! sound when you do), so you're wrong about this part.

Nope, you can do it in the regular side-scrolling inventory in exploration mode but not in the full page crafting inventory.

moleman

Arbiter
Patron
Yes, this is my problem too. Has been for some time. If a game has say small/fixed fonts or has bad readability for any other reason i tend to think twice before playing. I'm getting more and more blind every year and some games are clearly meant for people with good eyesight only. Sad but true.
Hello my fellow molepeople,
I have an eye condition (Nystagmus) that makes me very short-sighted. That's why I use Glassbrick for some games otherwise I would be unable to play them. It's a screen magnifier which lets you zoom in and out with ctrl + mouse wheel. Very easy to use.

Haven't tested it with Grimoire, though.

fabrulana

Augur
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Hello my fellow molepeople,
I have an eye condition (Nystagmus) that makes me very short-sighted. That's why I use Glassbrick for some games otherwise I would be unable to play them. It's a screen magnifier which lets you zoom in and out with ctrl + mouse wheel. Very easy to use.

Haven't tested it with Grimoire, though.

Nice, will try it out thanks.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In

Nope, you can do it in the regular side-scrolling inventory in exploration mode but not in the full page crafting inventory.

Look for the Merge button on the crafting screen. *MERGE* two identical stacks of items together. PLOOP!

Oddly, some items, even though they seem to be identical, still don't merge properly.

Ladonna

Arcane
I bought it for a dollar (well, the equivalent in Roo Bux) just recently. How would people here compare it to Wizardry 8?

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
I bought it for a dollar (well, the equivalent in Roo Bux) just recently. How would people here compare it to Wizardry 8?
I was scared you were going to compare it with Wizardry 7.

Wizardry 8 is not on the scale of games it should be compared with. Wiz 8 was not a real blobber and it was barely even an RPG.

I noticed that one thing everybody at Sir-Tech had in common was marginal literacy and juvenile adolescent writing and ideas. David Bradley was faulted for his narrative in Wiz 7 but Bradley's purple prose was a million times better than anything the high school dropouts and morons working there when he left could have possibly produced. Criticizing the text in Wiz 7 for its otherworldly flowery expression is not any criticism of Bradley's excellent writing and storylines. Tower of Dane! The Funhouse! Hall of Gorrors!

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I trashed Grimoire because of the IMO awful music and sound effects but when I thought about it, they're not much worse than the ones from Wiz 7.

Having a very good time with the game now that I'm seriously trying it. I think it could be improved with tooltips like in Master of Magic where if you right click on something, it gives you a pretty detailed explanation. But it's no big deal if you're familiar with Wizardry 7.

Also it runs well on Wine so I can play during my work hours.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom