Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Grip - Spiritual Successor to Rollcage - OUT NOW

Astral Rag

Arcane

The arcade racer. Today, and seemingly for the longest time, an archaic concept consigned to history. Where simulation and the sandbox dominate the motoring scene, where have the arcade racers gone? Where are the guns? Where are the missiles? Where those glorious, refulgent explosions? In the mists of your memories, golden days spent at the pad of the arcing, mellifluous Wipeout, majestic sessions in battle through the frenetic, hardcore classic that is Rollcage. All that is left, fleeting vistas sweeping through your mindscape of a bygone age. The arcade racer, in all its grizzled glory, gone. Achingly absent. Lost. Perhaps, forever?

Not if we have anything to do with it.

Harnessing the power of Unreal Engine 4, over the last few months we've managed to produce a working prototype of everything that made Rollcage the classic game that it is. The obscene weaponry, the devastating destruction, the hardcore handling, the insane speed coupled with those bombastic explosions. And yes, even driving on the ceilings. You name it. Grip, guns and gears, it's got it all.

Thus far, the work of just two people. Myself, as you might imagine, and a certain Mr Chris Mallinson. In truth, Chris is the main driving force behind this venture, and myself, a very willing collaborator. An incredibly talented guy, I can think of no-one I could trust more, to work with in raising this game to our screens. Working our nuts off to bring this project to reality. A chance to relive again, those heady days of swords, shields and speed.

But let's be clear, this is no clone, and due to IP restrictions, no sequel either. A spiritual successor if you will. Taking the best of what Rollcage was, and fusing it with the best of what is achievable with modern technology, Grip is to distil the very essence of the energy of Rollcage, and take it the pinnacle of all that it can be. Brace yourself, player, you're going to have to bring everything you got to compete in this arena. Sh#t just got real. With Grip, we'll see how good you really are.

But we've a long way to go before the battles can be reborn. After all, we are just two people, and we're going to need a fair few more. More people, and more money, lots of money. More than we could possibly find for ourselves, Grip is heading to KickStarter, this Summer. And if you want this project to succeed, if you want to be in the fight, we're going to need your help. You, me, and everybody here, will have to shout with all the air our lungs can muster. To be seen, to be heard, in the blizzard of activity that courses through the web each and every nanosecond of each and every day, it is only those that shout the loudest that are ever really heard. We need you. We need all of you.

But wait, not just yet. What you see here is just the seed of what is to come. An early preview, a token, to the Rollcage Steam community who we know will do all they can to make this endeavour a success. And of course, it goes without saying, we're looking for your input as well as your voice. We want to please those that are closest to the game and have a real feel for what it could become, those that have the imagination and the ideas to help it reach its very fullest potential. It will be our very best work, to make what we hope, will be precious gaming memories to come.

As soon as we've an official company web-site in just a week or two more, your chance to ally yourself with us begins. Get ready.

http://www.codemonkey.me.uk/view_blog_entry.php?blog_entry_id=133

edit: Kickstarter is happening: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/169002413/grip-an-intense-futuristic-combat-racer
edit: official website is live:http://www.cagedelement.com/grip/

Last edited:

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Looks pretty fucking good. And looks as clone as possible to me, which is good because there was nothing wrong with Rollcage.

Astral Rag

Arcane
The devs released some new GRIP pron:

58230872yyoyj.jpg

fdhxocn.png

11707849_1101496579866719_8601806888736320348_o.jpg

ScreenShot00974.jpg

ScreenShot01024.jpg

ScreenShot00206.jpg

ScreenShot00678.jpg

ScreenShot00567.jpg

Last edited:

mixer

Learned
Rollcage? Now that's a proper old game i'd like to see ripped off.

Was looking for an PC arcade racer just yesterday and could not find anything good, any suggestions?

Astral Rag

Arcane
Rollcage? Now that's a proper old game i'd like to see ripped off.

At least one of the GRIP devs worked on the original Rollcage.

Was looking for an PC arcade racer just yesterday and could not find anything good, any suggestions?

Cum Guzzlers: Shill Shenanigans is a pretty cool modern arcade racer.

This gentleman of refined taste recorded some gameplay footage:

Last edited:

Astral Rag

Arcane
Grip looks a lot like a modern-day Rollcage
And that's no bad thing.
By Wesley Yin-Poole Published 09/07/2015

Remember Rollcage, the 1999 Psygnosis-published PSone arcade racer? Grip looks a lot like a spiritual successor.

Grip is the work of just two developers: Chris Mallinson and Robert Baker. Baker worked on the original Rollcage games at developer Attention to Detail. The pair have been working on Grip for the best part of 2015 and have now released a video showing off a prototype. It looks pretty cool!

A Kickstarter is planned, and the game is currently on Steam Greenlight looking for votes. The developer is using Kickstarter in the hope of growing its team and fully-funding the game.

One to watch.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
GRID, I mean GRIP looks great. The devs are upgrading the graphics and sound, but leave the rest as it should be. Rollcage was very fun game, I hope they'll manage to reach at least the minimum amount. Now if someone would do a proper Destruction Derby remake... :(

Astral Rag

Arcane
Grip, the spiritual successor to Rollcage, takes to Kickstarter
By Wesley Yin-Poole Published 12/08/2015

Grip, the Rollcage spiritual successor we reported on last month, has launched a Kickstarter.

Developer Caged Element asks for $657,000 Canadian dollars (around ÂŁ322,000), and, if its crowdfunder is successful, will develop versions of the futuristic combat racer for both PC and PlayStation 4.

For Grip, Caged Element is channelling fondness for Rollcage, the 1999 Psygnosis-published PSone arcade racer.

The footage in the video, below, is the work of just two developers: Chris Mallinson and Robert Baker. Baker worked on the original Rollcage games at Attention to Detail. The pair have been working on a Grip prototype for the best part of 2015 in the hope Kickstarter money will fuel full development. Expect plenty of drum and bass.

Venser

Erudite
Awesome, I loved Rollcage and Dethkarz. Always thought they are much better than Wipeout and this looks like a real sequel.

Venser

Erudite
Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
I once promised that I will never pledge to kickstarter again bec-ROLLCAGE!!!!!!!!!

Who needs principles?

Astral Rag

Arcane
Here is some footage of me playing with myself on my favourite Skyway (RIP) track

Astral Rag

Arcane
GRIP Kickstarter cancelled, devs are taking the Early Access + PayPal route now:

GRIP is coming to Steam Early Access.
Those of you who have been wanting to give the game a test drive will be able to do so soon.

We need your help though, and that's why we've started a new funding campaign with new GRIP rewards - scroll down just a little to get straight to them.

We're so very grateful to those of you who backed us on Kickstarter, and we hope that after seeing our continued passion for making this game, you will re-pledge your support here. All funds from this campaign will go into further developing the initial release for Early Access.

We considered going straight to Steam with our current build, but instead felt it was important and ultimately necessary to release our first version at a higher level of quality. We want you to be able to jump into GRIP and have a great experience right from the start, without too many bugs or annoyances getting in the way.

With Early Access, we can truly focus on development, getting iterations of the game to you as efficiently as possible while also receiving your valuable input on upcoming features.

Supporting us through Paypal/Credit Card (via Stripe) at the "Driver" reward tier or higher will get you a unique CODE for Early Access on Steam. We will deliver Early Access by no later than November 30th 2015. If this deadline is not met, we will return a full refund of your transaction (upon request). We are serious about getting a great game to your PCs, and as soon as possible.

We've got various digital reward tiers for you to choose from. Unfortunately, we cannot offer any physical rewards (car model, art book, RC car) at this time, but we are planning to make some available in the future.

NOTE: Purchasing a code for early access will allow you to play the game soon, but it will also give you permanent ownership, even when GRIP's final version is released on Steam. So even if you don't want to play the game in its early stages, you can still save money by buying it now at its cheapest, early bird price.

http://www.cagedelement.com/grip/

Only $21 CAD (approx. $16 USD) for a Steam key, don't mind if I do.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom