Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Grog makes a 1.0.0 release

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Grog; Thomas Biskup

Per this thread on Roguelike Temple Forums, Grog has been released. Graphics whores need not apply, since this is an ASCII text graphics game. However, it does seem to have some pretty neat features for it's debut. Here's a list of the features the author wants you to know about:

• A dungeon consisting of 25 screen-sized levels.
  • Four monster types on level 1, with plus two new monster types per level. One of the new monsters always will be more powerful as far as combat goes, the other type will sport some challenging special power.
  • Special room types starting at dungeon level 3.
  • Ghosts (former player characters showing up as monsters).
  • Revenge monsters (monsters that managed to kill a player receive a name, special powers or power boosts for consecutive kills and return in later games).
  • Inventory size is strongly limited.
  • Include an item ID game but allow for auto-ID after some time passes.
  • Hunger, prayers, tons of highly variable items.
  • Ultra-flexible character generation (e.g. you enter a textual name, gender and type and your attributes will be fixed depending on these choices).
  • Add a personal note about the fate of your character to your highscore entries.
  • A straight-forward goal: Reach level 25, find the Throne of Immortality and escape the dungeon.

I really like the ghost idea as well as the "revenge monsters", although that might be a double jeopardy system for newer players who die often. I assume there's some kind of limit on such things, otherwise it's a difficulty ramp that's just going to shoot through the roof.

garren

Arcane
Patron
Cool stuff. Seems kinda simple but an intriguing romp so far. There's a really nice "cutscene" that plays as a monster slays you and gains powers and a name to torment you later with.

Last edited:

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Thomas Biskup - now there's a name I haven't heard in 20 years.

Yeah, I was wondering if that's the same guy that originally worked on ADOM or just a tribute pseudonym. He said in either the thread where I noticed the game or on the blog site for the game that this is a personal side project for him, so it could be him.

Sacibengala

Prophet
Thomas Biskup - now there's a name I haven't heard in 20 years.

Yeah, I was wondering if that's the same guy that originally worked on ADOM or just a tribute pseudonym. He said in either the thread where I noticed the game or on the blog site for the game that this is a personal side project for him, so it could be him.
According to twitter, it is him. Glad that he is doing something while not fixing that embarassment called Ultimate (not) ADOM.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
not fixing that embarassment called Ultimate (not) ADOM.

Yup. I can't comment on the game at all because it doesn't seem to want to run on my system. It's one of those games I got on sale because of nostalgia only to find out that a slightly improved version of a roguelike with graphics has something in it that doesn't want to work on Windows 7. Because it's so advanced? Don't really know, and haven't bothered to try it on my Windows 10 system. But I figure if you can't add graphics to a roguelike without breaking it on older versions of Windows, then there's probably a lot wrong with it.

Sacibengala

Prophet
not fixing that embarassment called Ultimate (not) ADOM.

Yup. I can't comment on the game at all because it doesn't seem to want to run on my system. It's one of those games I got on sale because of nostalgia only to find out that a slightly improved version of a roguelike with graphics has something in it that doesn't want to work on Windows 7. Because it's so advanced? Don't really know, and haven't bothered to try it on my Windows 10 system. But I figure if you can't add graphics to a roguelike without breaking it on older versions of Windows, then there's probably a lot wrong with it.
When I played it was on Win7 just after the 1.0 release. It was stuttering as hell, but it worked.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Well, what do you know. It works on Windows 7 now. Not sure if there was an update or something with the drivers, but it works now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom