Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grounded - shrunken kids first-person co-op survival game from Obsidian

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Most promising Obsidian game in years.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

https://www.gameinformer.com/video-...-bug-encyclopedia-exclusive-grounded-gameplay

The Bug Encyclopedia - Exclusive Grounded Gameplay

The creatures of modern survival games are pretty well established - rabbits are easy food, bears will chase you down, and so on. With the tiny, backyard world of Grounded, Obsidian has to rewrite the library of animals you're interacting with and make their threat level easily readable. Today I walk you through some of the game's peaceful and hostile critters, in a video that will have you saying, "Honey, I watched the video."

For more exclusive Grounded features, click the banner below to visit our coverage hub! And for more exclusive gameplay, check out our Day In The Life Of Grounded.

Flou

Arbiter
Imagine you go into game dev to work on exciting games and then end up doing garbage like this

Yes, they forced their veteran staffers to work on this while rest of the company gets to make great games. Fucking twat, that team wanted to make this game and are happy to work on something else than Pillars of Eternity on which most of them worked on for 5 years if not even longer.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
New Obsidianites are likely more excited to work on this than Pillars of Eternity or Tyranny.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

https://www.gameinformer.com/video-feature/2020/05/12/how-grounded-does-base-building-right

How Grounded Does Base Building Right

Our exclusive coverage of Grounded continues today with a look at the game's rich base-building mechanics. There's plenty of buildable goals to work towards here, whether you're the one placing blueprints or the one actually doing the work. We've had the chance to build a few fortresses in an early build of the game, and we're showing off the ones we're proudest of in the video above!

For even more on Grounded including exclusive gameplay and written features, click the banner below to check out our coverage hub.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Remember this Feargus interview from 2017?

And also, I'm looking at other ways to get funding for games so we can maybe try some of this stuff and not spend Pillars of Eternity level money. We can try unusual things and we can make money even if 200,000 or 300,000 people buy it, and if they enjoy it, that's awesome. And that can get maybe some funkier games out there in the market.

I remember thinking this part was a good sign for things to come. But apparently what Feargus meant with "funkier" is games where children eat ants.

Quillon

Arcane
And he thought 200-300k was low for sales, probably he was under the illusion that his studio had talented devs still instead of pondering commies.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Final video:

https://www.gameinformer.com/exclus...testing-the-limits-of-groundeds-creative-mode

Testing The Limits Of Grounded's Creative Mode

Jeff Cork and I spent hours playing Grounded for our coverage this month, and exploring the game we found ourselves pushing the edges of the sandbox and seeing what we could get away with. Before our month of coverage is up, we wanted to make a video highlighting those fun gameplay moments and experiments.

Thanks for tuning in to our Grounded coverage! To see our now complete hub of written and video features, click the banner below. And come back next week for the reveal of our next cover!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Huh, there's more: https://www.gameinformer.com/2020/05/21/can-you-play-grounded-if-spiders-make-you-want-to-die

Can You Play Grounded If Spiders Make You Want to Die?

Spiders are one of those things that can conjure up strong reactions. For some people, just the sight of one of the eight-legged creatures is enough to cause a panicked exodus from the room. Others may be relatively fine with seeing a spider in real life, but freak out when they have to face a giant one in a game. Obsidian’s upcoming survival game, Grounded, has the potential of being the worst possible scenario for arachnophobes: not only are there spiders in the game’s backyard setting, but you’ve been shrunken down to a scale where they can fill your entire field of view. Rather than shrug and move on, the team decided to do something for players who just can’t deal with spiders.

Grounded technical director Jerrick Flores says the team had an inkling of an idea that spiders could be a problem while they were working on the game, but they didn’t initially appreciate by how much. “Those concerns that we had really came to a head when we released the initial trailer for the game, and there was a spider reveal toward the end,” he says. “We watched a lot of trailer-reaction videos, because as someone working on the game you’re really interested in how people respond to your game. It was kind of interesting but also concerning that when that spider reveal happened, there were a number of people who in the reaction videos they had all this interest in the game but when that came up, all that interest just completely evaporated. They’d say things like, ‘I can’t play this game.’ It’s not like ‘I won’t,’ but ‘I can’t.’”

Programmer Brian MacIntosh empathized with those sentiments. “I wouldn’t say that anyone on the team is phobic, but some of us maybe avoid that dungeon in Skyrim with the giant spider – we just didn’t go there,” he says. “That started us talking about how it’s actually a phobia that people have, and I’ve seen people complain about it on our forums occasionally, like, ‘could you guys replace the spiders, because I can’t play this game because I’m really afraid of them?’ I started thinking, ‘This is a thing we can do.’"

grounded2.jpg

What did they do? Obsidian created a special arachnophobia mode for Grounded, which can be accessed in the game’s options menu. When toggled, spiders are rendered differently, as a way of making the creatures less, well, spidery for people who have an aversion toward the creatures. It’s still very much a work in progress, but its current implementation has the models replaced with large orange orbs. It’s a strange abstraction, especially when put up visually against the other bugs that are prominently featured in the game, but Obsidian is hoping that it will allow arachnophobes to play with everyone else. It’s activated client-side, meaning that in multiplayer sessions only those who want to see spiders that way will; everyone else gets the critters in all their glory.

MacIntosh says that developing the abstraction has been an iterative process, thanks in part to the studio’s collaboration with Microsoft User Research Lab. “We want to try to see how little we can change the spider, like how little we can take away to fix that problem, but have it still be a big, scary creature. We’re putting together different samples of different alternative looks, and they’re going to test it to see which ones elicit the phobia response.” He says part of the problem is that different people are triggered by different things. Their research contact, Blake Pellman, told him that it wasn’t the legs or the eyes that activated the phobic response – “As long as there’s enough evidence for them to say, ‘That’s a spider,’ that seems to be what triggers it,” MacIntosh says.

Spiders are a big part of Grounded – there’s a reason they were the big reveal in the trailer, after all. They’re one of the yard’s apex predators, and game director Adam Brennecke says there’s a lot of gameplay that’s connected to the creatures, such as combat and the gear that players can craft from their various parts. There’s also the issue of sound. “The clickety-clack sounds, even though spiders don’t really make that sound, it’s something that we just think of a spider; it’s clicking and clacking around the yard. That’s another thing we’re looking at.”

Incorporating these optional changes has been a fair bit of work, but the team sees it as effort well spent. “In a game like Skyrim, you can avoid spiders – you just go somewhere else,” Brennecke says. “In our game, you can’t avoid them. It’s so hard to avoid a spider in the game. I think that’s where, as a developer, I draw the line. Why don’t we try to do it to make sure that as many people can play the game as possible? That’s ultimately what we want as developers, people playing the game.”

Grounded is coming to Xbox One and PC via Game Preview and early access on July 28, whether or not you use arachnophobia mode.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Fuck snowflakes.

Oh, i'm ophidiophob, i can't handle snakes! Please spend precious resources and devtime to replace snakes with some different monster. Oh, i have an acrophobia! Please keep that in mind when designing levels, avoid adding pitfalls and heights. Oh, i'm suffering an aerophobia! Microsoft, you should consider cancelling Microsoft Flight Simulator because your advertisement trailers are giving me anxiety attacks.

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
Fuck snowflakes.

Oh, i'm ophidiophob, i can't handle snakes! Please spend precious resources and devtime to replace snakes with some different monster. Oh, i have an acrophobia! Please keep that in mind when designing levels, avoid adding pitfalls and heights. Oh, i'm suffering an aerophobia! Microsoft, you should consider cancelling Microsoft Flight Simulator because your advertisement trailers lead to anxiety attacks.
Stop being jealous because I evolved to have a better sense of predators/dangers than you did.

Citizen

Oh, i'm ophidiophob, i can't handle snakes! Please spend precious resources and devtime to replace snakes with some different monster.

Make snakes optional not to offend ophidiophobes! Incline!
Make spiders optional not to offend arachnophobes! Incline!
Make gay characters optional not to offend homophobes! Uh-oh...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom