Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grounded - shrunken kids first-person co-op survival game from Obsidian

Mess

Literate
It's kinda disturbing that somehow, this is a "passion project", even for a small 12 people team.

BlackGoat

Arbiter
I clearly missed something. Obsidian announced a return to their roots?
Yes!

tgF6Evr.png

jf8350143

Liturgist
Who paid for this? Who is the publisher? It's not microsoft because they just bought them some month ago, and I doubt they will stupid enough to make Obsidian make a game like this.

Codex Year of the Donut
TBH I have some trouble believing this began development before the Microsoft acquisition. All they have to show is a trailer of some basic phone-game mechanics after over a year of development?

Duraframe300

Arcane
Who paid for this? Who is the publisher? It's not microsoft because they just bought them some month ago, and I doubt they will stupid enough to make Obsidian make a game like this.

It's Microsoft. The game was probably still at the state where it would have been pitched around to publishers.

Duraframe300

Arcane
TBH I have some trouble believing this began development before the Microsoft acquisition. All they have to show is a trailer of some basic phone-game mechanics after over a year of development?

They have gameplay running, multiple journalists already went to Obsidian to play it. And you can play it at X019 (under NDA). Also its releasing into Early Access in a couple of months.

jf8350143

Liturgist

It's Microsoft. The game was probably still at the state where it would have been pitched around to publishers.

But the development starts before Microsoft bought them, unless it was suppose to be a Obsidian self-fund game, which I highly doubt it is, otherwise some people have to pay for it.

Duraframe300

Arcane

But the development starts before Microsoft bought them, unless it was suppose to be a Obsidian self-fund game, which I highly doubt it is, otherwise some people have to pay for it.

Every game has at least some work done before being able to be pitched to publishers. That's what I meant. Soon after they began concepting this, they were bought by Microsoft which let the game continue.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Could've been a good setting for a proper RPG, or even actiony RPG-lite. Even if development started before acquisition, Obsidian could've changed the formula while keeping the premise.

Oh well.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist

Microsoft is the Publisher. They got Obisidian a year ago btw. The 12-13 people are working way before Micro.

This is a small project , most of main Obsidian team is working on the next rpg while the rest are probably work on The Outer Worlds.

I really don't get why this is so bad already. It's little project that probably don't have much budget.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
Release is next year. Obsidian moves onto Pillars 3. This is what I want to believe.

Your pretty delusional if you think PoE3 is coming any time soon after Deadfire bombed so hard. Also Josh said that they probably gonna reworking the franchise..

Rev

Arcane
My God... I wasn't really expecting Sawyer's Dream Project (but it would've been a nice surprise), the historical turn-based rpg inspired by Darklands here, but this is really something else. I don't even know how to express my disappointment.
I don't even know if it's Obsidian's fault or Microsoft's, but who the fuck thought this was going to be a good idea? Obsidian has always made rpgs and everytime they strayed from that they screwed up big time, or even just the more "action" parts of their actual rpgs have always been bad or, at best, just mediocre.

And btw, wtf is going on with MS? I mean, you buy Ninja Theory, a studio that was successful for making Hellblade, a single-player and very narrative-focused experience that also explored unusual themes (protagonist's psychosis) -> first game after acquisition: a generic multiplayer shooter no one asked for.
Then Obsidian, known for rpgs with choices, multiple endings, sometimes multiple approaches and interesting and deep systems (not always, mind you, but NV, MotB and others had them) -> first game announced after MS buyout: a generic survival game no one wanted.
Maybe it's not Microsoft that pushed for those games, but still, if they want to gain back some trust this is not the right way. Which is kind of a shame because some of their other moves were going in the correct direction: Halo on PC, announcement of AoE4 (a relatively niche game by today standards and a PC exclusive ffs), bringing their games on Steam, the GamePass which I don't like too much because I prefer actually having games and replaying them any time I want but still offers a lot of stuff for a very competitive price. But then they always find some way to fuck up.

Codex Year of the Donut
Why is this in the RPG section?
Warframe is much more of an RPG and it's in general gaming.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom