Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline GTA III and Vice City fully reverse engineered, with ports to many platforms

index.php

Arcane
You can find the source code, instructions, and prebuilt packages for many platforms in:

https://github.com/GTAmodding/re3

re3/reVC requires game assets to work, so you must own a copy of GTA III or VC.

---

Hi, I'm a member of re3 team.

re3, GTA III reversing project was started sometime in the spring of 2018 by aap ( u/kotzkroete ). It made into the GitHub in May 2019 and other members including me quickly joined the effort(Fire_Head, erorcun(me) and Nick007J in time order, and Serge a bit later).

After re3 was completed, reVC - GTA VC reversing project was started in early May 2020 by starting from re3 code.

After a few months of mostly steady progress, we considered reVC finished in December 2020.

We've also added many additional features which can be toggled on compile-time basis and/or run-time basis(which is either from debug menu or .ini file), like;

• Support for all aspect ratios
  • Much shorter loading times
  • Menu map for III (including adding a waypoint and teleporting)
  • Instant mission replay for III
  • Ported Mobile, PS2 or Xbox specific screen effects, vehicle reflections
  • Debug menu (can be opened via RCTRL+M - not just debug actually, has many features)
  • Rotatable vehicle camera, as in San Andreas
  • Anti-aliasing
  • XInput support
  • Japanese, Russian and Polish languages for III
  • Settings are stored in a readable .ini file, instead of some binary
  • New cheats! :P
  • And much more, a more comprehensive list is available on our GitHub page.
Of course all can be turned off, so you can get the accurate vanilla GTA III/VC experince to the extent we've been able to achieve.

Both re3 and reVC can be compiled on Windows, Linux and FreeBSD, on x86, amd64, arm and arm64, and prebuilt binaries for most of them are available.

Rendering is handled either by original RenderWare (D3D8 - you should provide RW static libs then) or the reimplementation librw (D3D9, OpenGL 2.1 or above, OpenGL ES 2.0 or above), which is done by aap.

Audio is done with MSS (using dlls from original GTA) or OpenAL.

The project has also been ported (and made it to the public before main re3/VC repo which they're derived from) to the Nintendo Switch, Playstation Vita and Nintendo Wii U, which you can find on reddit and various news sites.

https://www.reddit.com/r/GTA/comments/lj4x1n/gta_iii_and_vice_city_fully_reverse_engineered/

Kwota

Augur
Cool, I wonder if it will help with eventual porting of content from LCS and VCS.

I wonder if they found a way to eliminate pop ins. That's the only visual improvement I need in VC.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom