Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

GUI and Colors

Discussion in 'Iron Tower Studio' started by vazquez595654, Aug 13, 2006.

1. vazquez595654 Arbiter

vazquez595654
    Crichton's Dialogue with adjustable transparency?

No. Probably not. it looks great, and I prefer to have dialogue in game, but since this game is going to have so much reading, it will eventually get annoying to have the dialogue and the answers so far apart.

I guess Space Rangers 2 would be a good example of the intricacy of the dialogue this game will probably have, and a seperate background with plenty of space and less distractions definitely made it easier to concentrate on the missions.

^ Top  
  2. Monolith Prophet

Monolith
    I prefer Sovy's version.

Crichton's Dialogue is alright but some less transparency and a frame would add much to it.

^ Top  
  3. FrancoTAU Cipher

FrancoTAU
    I prefer some kind of version of Crichton's Dialogue screen since you don't have that little itty bitty graphic screen in the current version, but I think its a moot point since VD like the separate screen.

^ Top  
  4. Paranoid Jack Scholar

Paranoid Jack
    Oh, yeah much much better. Looks good to me but then the original isn't bad either.

So if I had a choice I would pick Sovy's version of the original stats screen lay-out. Though I'm not sure I like Crichton's version of the dialog screen. The text isn't too bright but over-all its less appealing to the eye and harder to read than the original version. Just my two cents... :wink:

^ Top  
  5. Bradylama Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Bradylama
    Stone backgrounds make the whole "hand-written" feel of the character sheet seem way off. I don't think anybody chiseled that roughly and finely.

^ Top  
  6. Fryjar Augur

Fryjar
    Have you considered adding some dark green colours to the frames?
    I experimented a bit with that and I think giving them a moss-covered look would keep the overall decaying/hand written theme but add some distinction to the screen.

^ Top  
  7. Vault Dweller Commissar, Red Star Studio Developer

Vault Dweller
    Link?

^ Top  
  8. Fryjar Augur

Fryjar
    Well,of course it needs polishing,but something along those lines...
    I also somewhat altered the text font and slightly changed the colour, so that it's a bit easier on the eyes .

http://aod.scriptmania.com/aod1.jpg

And did you think about using monotype corsiva as a font for the letters instead? I think it fits quite nicely to the setting...

^ Top  
  9. galsiah Erudite

galsiah
    I find Sovy/vazquez595654's version more readable than the original - better with the toned down contrast. I do like the p&p feel of the original, but the numbers don't jump off the page quite so readily.

As Claw already noted, I don't see anything wrong with the horizontal attributes, since they don't change during the game. It's most important to have a clear presentation of the stats the player will be looking at most often. After the start of the game, he's bound to be looking at skills... much more than attributes.
    The horizontal attribute presentation keeps them nicely out of the way of what's usually important.

Crichton's dialogue screen idea looks a lot better than I imagined it would. Worth a thought.

However, I don't think the main issue here is the way it looks, but rather the impression it creates (and how functional it is, of course). I'd guess that a separate screen would tend to put more emphasis on each individual dialogue being an important event in its own right. On the other hand, Crichton's would give a more continuous feel to quests.

If each dialogue were of little importance, and often served as some kind of way-point, I'd definitely prefer Crichton's. However, given that dialogues are important, I'd think I'd prefer a separate screen. That way they have more of an important-event feel, rather than an incidental-encounter-while-walking-around feel.

Perhaps that's debatable, but I think my main point is right: the look is less important than the impression/emphasis it creates.

^ Top  
  10. Monica21 Scholar

Monica21
    I like it the way it is. The parchment look and black text is appealing and easy on my eyes.

^ Top  
  11. Faustus Novice

Faustus
    Why not use one of those nifty concept art images as a backround for your UI? I think most people agree that they are easy on the eyes. It's an fairly easy thing to do and if you make the controls transparent it looks pretty cool. I played around with it a little to make sure it is easy to read. Here's a thumbnail link to the full image.

[​IMG]

^ Top  
  12. Vault Dweller Commissar, Red Star Studio Developer

Vault Dweller
    Not a bad idea.

^ Top  
  13. galsiah Erudite

galsiah
    Certainly worth a thought.
    [Although I've had that image as my desktop background for a while - I might get confused :)]

^ Top  
  14. Vault Dweller Commissar, Red Star Studio Developer

Vault Dweller
    Want a larger high-res option?

^ Top  
  15. galsiah Erudite

galsiah
    It'd be nice. I'm no background image elitist, so I'll happily put up with stretching / low res..., but an improved look is always good.

^ Top  
  16. serch Magister

serch
    I like the background image idea, but I'd implement it over the original parchment and as a drawing made with a soft pencil. Maybe a scanned image of the first concepts could serve you.

^ Top  
  17. John Yossarian Cipher

John Yossarian
    I like that idea. At the very least it will me a reason to check my stats. ::runs for cover::

^ Top  
  18. Faustus Novice

Faustus
    You could do a lot of different effects with GIMP or some other editor to play around with whatever style you prefer. If you'd like to maintain something similar to the existing color scheme:

[​IMG]

^ Top  
  19. Vault Dweller Commissar, Red Star Studio Developer

Vault Dweller
    Much better, thanks. We'll definitely consider it.

^ Top  
  20. Elwro Arcane

Elwro
    Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
    Faustus, it's a nice picture! Something along these lines would be great...

^ Top  
  21. Sovy Kurosei Erudite

Sovy Kurosei
    That is a pretty good idea Faustus. I like it.

^ Top  
  22. Claw Erudite Patron

Claw
    Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
    I like the idea. Faustus' example looks very neat.

^ Top  
  23. Fryjar Augur

Fryjar
    I think it's a great idea to have one of those pictures for the main character/attribute and the dialogue screen.
    When it comes to the ingame gui though (the one that is displayed when you are walking around), I think you should stick to self-contained art, rather than a piece of a bigger picture.
    I would suggest, considering to implement this clay-piece background from the edges of your homepage. I think, art wise, it looks fitting,appealing and still subtle enough not to distract from the displayed texts.

^ Top  
  24. jeansberg Liturgist

jeansberg
    I am all for this idea. The character screen looks much better now. It might be a good idea to use these kinds of artistical screens around the game, to give graphics whores a break from the game engine. :P

But really, that art is beautiful and I think it provides such a nice RPG feel.

^ Top  
  25. Hazelnut Erudite

Hazelnut
    I think that the background image sucks... :|

But then, as long as I can easily read the numbers & letters, I don't really give a shit.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.