Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Guild Wars

Human Shield

Augur
I've heard the rune system mentioned, what was added with this?

Do you know the deal with the collector's edition have a 3-month thing for teamspeak (free program)? If we played guild matches we should probably get a teamspeak server going for voice comm.

And when are we supposed to play if people are in Europe and Asia?

I looked through the massive skill lists and I will probably get it because I love mixing good combos with abilities like that, and mixing and executing party level combos will be awesome.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
The rune system allows you to upgrade any piece of your armor with a rune that corresponds to your main class.

We can use DarkSign's server for TeamSpeak. I don't know how the 3-month thing for TeamSpeak that comes with the CE works.

I can play at any time. We'll be playing on the USA server (Don't bother with Europe unless you enjoy speaking French or German all the time) and as for time, we'll just go with whatever time it's possible for people interested in GvG to play on. As far as I know the majority of the players in our upcoming guild will be in USA, so I don't think it's a big issue.

Llyranor

Liturgist
Speaking of teamspeak, it's free if one of a friend hosts it on his/her own server? Can anyone host a server?

Sovard

Sovereign of CDS
Not to brag or anything...

Thank you for ordering from EBgames.com. Your order has been shipped completely. The status and/or ship date for each item on your order is detailed below.

Here is the status of the item(s) you have ordered:
Guild Wars with Bonus! Ordered: 1 Shipped: 1 4/22/2005

Oh, and...

"I've played in the Beta Weekend Events and I've received a lot of files over that time. Do I pretty much have everything I need to play Guild Wars already on my computer?"

"No, not really. There are whole new regions you've never visited, so you will obtain those assets from the game CD. There are all those new missions and explorable areas and quests that you will acquire. And of course, there will be a modest update on the day you launch the retail version, which will revise any files we might have changed since the game went to duplication, and will also assure that you have the files that will entitle you to your spiffy in-game items and the newest account options.

In the future you will notice that you stream in new content on a regular basis. It may be a new quest. It may be a bug fix. Perhaps it's a change to a bit of dialogue or a set of new art assets. Changes will come, both large and small, to keep the game fresh and exciting.

We're very excited about welcoming you to our world on April 28th!"

Just as I thought.

See all you pre-order Codices in the early access period =o

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Here's a guide on the basics of creating a build in Guild Wars. The stuff about resurrection is for Guild vs Guild-oriented gameplay. It should get you started on character design.

Written by Nash:
http://www.guildwarsguru.com/forum/show ... php?t=3964
- Pick a main role of your character.
- Pick your primary in line with your main role as a character.
- Pick your secondary to enhance your main role and your primary.
- Pick skills that let you accomplish what your main role is.
- Possibly add in things that make you more versatile without conflicting with primary role.

Main role is things like damage, healing, Monk shutdown, anything important enough to warrant a build dedicated to it.

Why, you ask?

Well, in a team game such as this, you want to specialize and do things more efficiently. Healers heal much more efficiently because they're specialized for it. Damage dealers are built to do damage, lots of it and well. If everyone tries to do everything noone will do anything.

A team's resource pool is their combined energy and ability to perform tasks. When someone performs a task less efficiently, or at higher cost, you're wasting resources. Time and energy goes to waste.

Self-cast Orison: ~60 heal for 5 energy.
Monk with Word: ~200 for 5 energy.
Is it worth self-casting Orison? No, it wastes energy.

There's a notable exception to the rule. Resurrects. It does take away from your main role to go res, but someone has to, and there is no point to run a dedicated res character. So you have to put it on someone, and it will conflict with their main role, it's unavoidable. This someone is not a Monk, because having Monks run off and res can cause more people to ie, leading to a chain reaction of doom.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
I'm calling it the Tyranny of Choice. If the name is taken (by some asshole, no doubt) I'll go with one of the others that's been suggested.

merry andrew

Erudite
Exitium said:
I'm calling it the Tyranny of Choice. If the name is taken (by some asshole, no doubt) I'll go with one of the others that's been suggested.
:lol:

That's great. I hope I can join.

Sovard

Sovereign of CDS
Woo, staring at my character screen with no access yet. Damn their worldwide launch 2 days after release bullshit.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
The servers will go online in about 14 hours, but it's for the 'early preview' aka EBGames buyers. Everybody else has to wait.

I blame EBGames for my late copy (ships on the 27th). They signed some deal with NCSoft behind ArenaNet and the local distributors backs to get an early release (24th), days before anyone else - and as such there was a shortage of copies, and an overload of preorders so everyone else can't get "Early Access" to GW. Oh well, at least preorders still get the items, and we're guaranteed to play within the first week anyhow... I hope.

Guild Wars has completely sold out.

Sovard

Sovereign of CDS
True.

Mine was shipped by EBgames on the 22nd, to ensure it got here today through 2-day shipping. I have all the keys already entered and I get to play starting 4am tomorrow.

It has a really nice manual, by the way.

Sovard

Sovereign of CDS
Begin hype?

Guild Wars, in contrast, is based around your skill as a player. Our maximum level is twenty and you hit that very quickly, after about 20-30 hours of play. We call that 'The Point of Ascension'. Almost all of the content in the game and in the future Chapters is only available to Ascended characters, which means we don't have to worry about providing different levels of content. All the good stuff will be available to everyone. It's not our intent to force people onto the levelling up treadmill, so the level cap in Guild Wars is almost meaningless.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Yep, that's pretty neat. The biggest turn off of WoW to me was the level treadmill bullshit and having to slog through an infinite number of 'kill 500 syndicates and get me their tokens which only drop 1 in 3 times' crap quests.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Sure is.
Im ditching whatever residual cynicism I had.
Damn fine game so far.

Edit: anyone else playing?
Currently using a Ranger/Mesmer called Shaq Nak.
They censored the "shag" part cos it means "to fuck" :-(

It connected me to the American server by default.

Sovard

Sovereign of CDS
Ullerien Morr

Mesmer/Warrior

Problem is, I've been playing so much there is nobody left to group with. Gotta take a break I guess...

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Well, shag means to fuck. They also censored fuck and shit, accordingly.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom