Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Guild Wars

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Well, it looks like Blue's News is filled with retards. Here's a summary:

OMG THIS GAEM SUCKS IT DOESNT HAVE A SUBSCRIPTION SO ONLY HIGH SCHOOL KIDS AND JUNKIES WILL PLAY IT LOLLOLOLOLOLIPOP!!111ONE TEH REAL MATURE ADULTS PLAY WORLD OF WARCRAFT SI TEH BEAST GAEM EVAR!111111111111111 I WONT EVEN BOTHAR 2 TRY GUILD WARS CAUSE THAT WILL MAEK MY 5 LEVEL 60 CHARACTERS IN WOW USELESS AND I WOULDNT WANT THAT BECAUSE IA M IN DENIAL THAT A GAME COULD ACUTALLY BE BETTER THAN THAT PIECE OF SHIT.

THE INTERNET IS SERIOUS BUSINESS LOL
HOT LINKIE

Surlent

Liturgist
Why do people need to compare Guild Wars to WoW all the time like GW would be some kind of threat to them and bash it on aspects they differ from each other ? Does Guild Wars make WoW players' penises look small ? Or is it some self denial and way to make themselves feel secure they just haven't wasted their money on monthly fees ? :?
Anyways just screw them all, GW is online and they have improved it a lot since previes. It's already sold even in Europe's small towns. All go and get your copy allready. gg hf

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Because they're asses who can't accept that there might be a game out there that actually trashes the shit out of the crap they play. Speaking of asses, I just had a nice chat with this one guy, korrupt0r (l33t!) who can't accept that someone, e.g. me, might disagree with his suggestion that Guild Wars unlock all the skills for PVP characters without them having to work for it. He got so mad at me replying to all his posts that he sent me a private message. Here it is:

k0rupt3ur said:
Please, stop answering my posts. I do not have the time to argue with people who refuse to pull their heads out of their asses and see things from a different perspective. Perhaps one of these day you'll have responsibilities, such as life, job. You might even find a friend or two if you don't spend much time in a game.
Like you, I am not a hardcore gamer. I play the game during my free time and on weekends. I don't see how it's any different from reading a book or watching a movie. Enjoy the game for what it is and don't ruin it for others. What you suggest would ruin the game for all of us with PVE characters who want to participate in PVP, and telling us to create brand new PVP characters isn't a solution because, I don't know if you can understand this or not, we feel very attached to our characters, and to devalue them in such a way is to devalue the Guild Wars RPG experience. That's what Guild Wars is, first and foremost, an RPG. It isn't called an MMOFPS or an Online Action Game, it's called a CORPG.

I love this game so much that I bought the CE box. Now, I'm a an FPS player, and I transitioned because of the advertisement of the game. I do not want to have to level up and go find all the skills in order to PvP, as the game advertised.
I too am an FPS gamer, but I accept Guild Wars for what it is - an RPG. That's why I paid for it, because it was advertised that way. I might have bought it if it was advertised as a multiplayer action game with team combat, but it wasn't advertised that way. You can nit pick all you want about how the game was advertised - 'skill, not grind', but it's debateable if the PVE "portion" of the game and the attaining of skills could even be considered as such. I refuse to allow the distinction of a PVE portion of the game, because according to all the advertisements, Fansite Fridays and previews, the PVE is the game. PVP isn't an afterthought either, because as it is, it's unarguably connected to the PVE portion of the game.

It's not just a simple solution of just leveling up to lvl 20. You'll have to spend a lot of time getting the funds, the materials, and not to mention the skill points needed to buy the damn skills, if you can get to it in a reasonable amount of time.
Well, first of all, it doesn't take very long to level up, and getting the funds and materials is something you get along your way to level 20, so it's really a non-issue. Getting the skills isn't difficult, it's all a matter of exploration and completing the quests, which is half the game. The way they revamped the skill system allows you to get the skills without having to get skill points, so that argument is moot. You see, the game is different now in retail than it was in BWE, in case you haven't noticed. You don't need skill points to get skills from quests. Skill points are only there for you to buy skills from vendors.

I want to be able to PvE at my own pace, and not feel rushed or forced to do something. For PvP, I want to have absolute fun and not having to do something just so I can accomplish just that. I guess from never wasting much of my life playing RPGs, I would not understand.
You could make the same argument against people who enjoy reading books and ask them why they don't just 'stop wasting their time' and skip to the last page, but that's not what the book is about. The experience is reading it as a whole, much like playing Guild Wars as a whole constitutes the overall experience of the game. PVP is not the point of the game, nor is PVE. Both PVP and PVE are but aspects of Guild Wars, as a whole.

For all accounts, allowing myself and others to PvP in our own environments will not have any affects on your gaming, accept for the affect of "the poor man attitude". You don't want people to have anything nice because you have to work for it.
You are clearly misrepresenting what me and many other likeminded individuals (like the 257 voters in your previous thread) have said to dissuade others, and especially ArenaNet from allowing PVP characters instant access to all skills. It does affect our gaming, you see. As I previous stated, many of us intend to use our PVE characters in PVP, and having them at a succinct disadvantage in terms of skills or attaining skills (e.g. we have to work for it, you don't.) isn't fair to us. It is all a matter of having an even playing field.

With that, I bid adieu, and hope to never see you again. Quit being an ass on line, and I wish and hope that you are as assertive in real live as you are here. That is if you have a life.
If you don't want to hear what others have to say you shouldn't post threads that beget responses.[/quote]

Psilon

Erudite
On an unrelated note, WTF is with the scratch-off CD key and double shrink wrap? I feel like I spent $50 and five minutes with my letter opener just for the chance to win some McDonald's gift certificates.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Retailer policy. You can't resell packages with the cd-key already scratched off, because it's registered to an account and once that's done, it's useless to anyone else. The person who resells the game could keep playing on the account for as long as he likes without having the cd anymore, as he can just stream all the data if he ever wants to play the game in the future.

The double shrink rap is to keep people from opening the boxes while in the store and scratching off the cd key. A lot of people do that with other games.

Rat Keeng

Liturgist
Just one question, is it possible to play on American servers from Europe, without too much lag?

sirgoanga

Educated
Rat Keeng said:
Just one question, is it possible to play on American servers from Europe, without too much lag?

I do it. It's OK so far, though I still experience the occasional lag from time to time. Nothing to worry about.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
sirgoanga said:
Rat Keeng said:

I do it. It's OK so far, though I still experience the occasional lag from time to time. Nothing to worry about.

And I've been playing on American servers all the way from BumFuck, New Zealand...and believe me, the performance is great.

Multi-play seemed pretty good from over here too. Minor/occasional lag, not often, and not intrusive.

Sovard

Sovereign of CDS
I can... uh. Buy us a Guild Hall.

SHUT UP I HAVE A LIFE OMG

Anyway, is the guild made yet? Can I get an invite? I'm so lonely. =(

Ullerien Morr

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Here, pick this:
emblem_05-game.jpg

For cape style, pick something that looks 'royal' or 'majestic'.

Colors: Bright gold emblem
Bright gold (of the same color) border
Dark navy blue background.

Additional color: Checkered dark red background, similar contrast to the dark navy blue background. on the left or right side (I forget which side it is Guild Wars has it), but basically it allows you to have 2 background colors on a single cape. Like the right side might be pure navy blue but the left side has a checkered dark red pattern.

Surlent

Liturgist
Is it possible to have the eagle and the lines as silver like in the first picture ? That would look more appropriate IMHO.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Unfortunately due to the amount of abuse people performed in the early Alpha with user-made emblems, they don't allow you to put in your own line art. Too many goatses and penis emblems would do that.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Human Shield said:
Why don't we use the grey and blue codex colors?
Some colors look kind of gaudy. I could probably work something out if I had the game.

All those emblems with the exception of the crown look pretty shitty in-game. EVERYONE has the chalice.

the_dagon

Educated
I'll play it too..

this game's good.
not really a rpg, more a multiplayer action game, but it's OK.

will play it too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom