Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Guild Wars

Fez

Erudite
That sounds good for balance and strategy. A bit more to it than clicking on the bad guy and watching the show.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Yeah, it's one thing to just click on the next opponent during the early missions, but playing in that that kind of lazy way in PVP and the wilderness areas and the mid to latter missions will just get your ass kicked seven ways to Serbia. It's kinda like having a warrior who thinks using his healing signet while he's getting battered by everything is a good idea. All the damage you receive is doubled when you use the healing signet for 2 seconds.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Notice: Oh yeah, for all you guys getting the game, please play on the American server. Don't play on the European server because the American districts are unavailable to you, and the majority of us are playing on America (where everyone speaks English). The biggest problem with the European server right now is that everyone speaks different languages, rather than English, so even if you're from England or Nederlands you might have a hard time joining games or playing with other people because they'd all be speaking French or German, which make up the bulk of Euro gamers.

Another reason to join the American server is that the WaW (Worlds at War) content that you can get to is unlocked faster, due to the abundance of guilds and players on the American server. You're gonna have a much harder time unlocking that stuff on the European server, because there's less players to fight against in PVP and Hall of Heroes. At least on the American server, you've got people playing 24/7, due to people from timezones like Australia, english-speaking players like myself from Asia and of course Americans.

It's not all bad though. The best thing about the server division is that in PVP, Guild battles and Hall of Heroes you don't have to fight against a group of non-English speaking Koreans. That was a real pain in the ass in the beta, because you often went up against Korean guilds. They're on their own server now.

However, you can still play with people from Korea or Europe if you're on the American server, if you play in the "International District", so PVE isn't really affected if you're looking for random people to party up with who don't speak English, haha.

When you create an account it will ask you what territory you want to play on. The choices are "America" and "Europe" and if you live in Korea you get a "Korea" choice, so please pick America, even if you are from Europe, or you'll have to go through the hassle of editing your account and changing the territory settings later. If you play on Europe you won't be able to play with the rest of us unless we're all in the International district.

Those of you who have already logged in to play today will have noticed that you now need to choose between the Europe and America territories. This choice determines your home ‘world’ for the Worlds at War tournament feature. If you want to play with anyone from the American territory while you are on the European territory, you can easily choose the International Districts from the drop down menu in any outpost or town (top left corner of the screen with the default interface); simply arrange to meet your friend in one of these districts.

If you accidentally choose the wrong Territory or change your mind, you can change your territory choice. At the character selection screen after logging in you will find an Edit Account button in the bottom left corner. After clicking this button a panel will appear that allows you to change your account details; on the third tab you can change your Territory. Please note that you can only make this change a maximum of 5 times.

Exitium said:
There might be more in the future, though. But as it is, the game offers more than WOW or EQ2 ever did, combined.
:roll: :roll: :roll:

Man, Exit, you fucking crack me up. You're such a moron.

Guild Wars is shit. Boring, slow combat. Boring PvP. Game world utterly devoid of life thanks to everything being 100% instanced. Boring missions. Boring quests. Boring 'storyline.' Boring equipment. Boring crafting. Boring Magic-the-Gathering skill system.

I preordered last week, play the BWE this weekend and was more disappointed than I've ever been regarding a game in my life. I'm cancelling my preorder right away.

Guild Wars is Phantasy Star Online, except with a Generica setting and no sense of speed or action that button-mashing a controller would bring. No, that's too generous. Guild Wars is Spellforce. Except instead of merchants in towns, there are other players.

I have no fucking clue why this forum would back the game up as much as it has while simultaneously criticizing other action/RPGs like Diablo. Diablo, Diablo 2, Darkstone, Revenant, Nox, and fuck, SACRED are all better games than this turd. So are Everquest, Everquest 2, World of Warcraft, DAOC, and Anarchy Online.

merry andrew

Erudite
undead dolphin hacker said:
I have no fucking clue why this forum would back the game up as much as it has while simultaneously criticizing other action/RPGs like Diablo. Diablo, Diablo 2, Darkstone, Revenant, Nox, and fuck, SACRED are all better games than this turd. So are Everquest, Everquest 2, World of Warcraft, DAOC, and Anarchy Online.
It's because you're reading a forum that's different from the one that everyone else reads.

Seven

Erudite
Alright you guys have got me; if I'm in the country this summer I suppose I could pick this game up and join your guild. Plus at that price you can hardly go wrong.

Surlent

Liturgist
Rex said:
so please pick America, even if you are from Europe, or you'll have to go through the hassle of editing your account and changing the territory settings later. If you play on Europe you won't be able to play with the rest of us unless we're all in the International district.
Thank you Exitium. I would have automatically chosen Europe if you wouldn't have said that. I notice those language issues too while I'm playing on Warcraf3TFT's European server. There's just too many languages in this part of the world. :) Unfortunately for those who don't speak french or german (at least good enough for communication), english is your best choice. And what comes to trolls and assholes, EU is no better than yankees.

MyOpinion=Boring // Default
MyOpinion=Good // New Value
Guild Wars is MyOpinion. MyOpinion combat. MyOpinion PvP. MyOpinion missions. MyOpinion quests. MyOpinion 'storyline.' MyOpinion equipment. MyOpinion crafting. MyOpinion Magic-the-Gathering skill system.
You see it's all about opinions and how you personally like it.

Exitium said:
Feel free to cancel your preorder, UDH. Nobody was looking forward to playing with you anyway.
Like I would have played with the Codex people anyway. :lol:

The love just ain't here, Blackheart. I was mega-pumped for Guild Wars too, then I played the beta weekend and utterly loathed the game.

I just don't understand why Exit & crew love it when it does all the bad things they love to complain about in other games.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
It's somewhere in between, I suppose. Never played EQ, so I can't refer to that. I'll refer to WOW instead. Combat's in 3rd person, so that's comparable to WOW, and the use of skills is similar to WOW as well - you click 1-8 to use a skill. But the spread of skills is like Diablo 2, but multiply that by 2.5 for each class in the game and divide their uses. (edit: not usefulness. They're all useful.) There's 75 skills for each class in the game, and each of them varies in purpose. Some work better with other builds, or what ever. There's always a use for one of them in some kind of build.

Like WOW and less like Diablo 2, it's about teamwork. Teamwork didn't matter much in Diablo 2 because each character could pretty much 'tear shit up' well enough on their own unless faced against elemental or physical immunes.

Unlike WOW, It's all about skill combinations. In WOW, you're limited by the class you use - a mage will always be AOE or Dispels, Warrior will always tank, Priest will always heal. Not so with Guild Wars. Monks can just as easily be offensive characters, with smite skills for holy damage or stunning/penetrating enemy armor each hit, Warrior secondary class armed with a sword and offensive sword skills. You can only have 8 skills equipped during your missions, so that defines your character's build. Different skills, different play style. Just because you're a ranger doesn't mean you have to stick to using your bow - you can be a trapper or a beastmaster, as well as an Area of Effect support caster with the Spirits you summon.

Also unlike WOW, you can't just sit back and cast the same spell over and over again and expect to end up top dog. A good player knows how to counter enemy spells with counterspells (Mesmers are the best class for this), support his team with support spells, temporary buffs, or unleash a flurry of combination attacks on the enemy. Yeah, that's right - some skills work in combination with each other better than others do. For instance, the Warrior has an attack that causes the enemy to have a "Bleeding" condition. To follow up his attack, he can use a powerful attack that deals double damage against the "Bleeding" enemy, that would otherwise only deal a regular amount of damage on the target. Two or more players can work in combination with each other, too. A Ranger can cause an enemy to bleed, and the warrior can use the attack on him. It doesn't have to be instantaneous, because the Bleed condition for that particular ability lasts for around 18 seconds, so unless the enemy has a good healer to fix him, he's going to go down should the warrior attack him with that ability. There's all sorts of other examples, like a Hammer-based warrior attack that causes stun, followed up by an attack that deals added damage and causes a stunned enemy to be knocked down, followed up by a devastating attack that only works on downed enemies. All with the hammer. A good sense of timing and a little alertness goes a long way.

Mesmers can screw enemy casters, especially monks, for using buffs. Just pay attention to what your enemies are doing, react accordingly, and they'll be keeling over in no time for making the wrong moves.

Major_Blackhart said:
How is the combat? Is it more akin to Diablo or EQ series? My impressions it's more like D1 and D2 than other games.
I would say more like EQ than Diablo, if those are the only two I had to compare against.

Basically, you see a monster and click on it once to target it and initiate auto-attack. Then you have a row of your eight skills at the bottom you can click on (or press the number key associated to the spot) to use that skill if you have the Energy/Adrenaline/HP required.

I say it's more like EQ because combat is SSSLLLLOOOOWWWW compared to Action/RPGs (especially when you meet enemies that can heal -- ugh, it can dissolve into thirty-minute long statelmates of attempting to out-damage their heals).

Frankly, I found World of Warcraft's solo combat to be far more engaging than Guild Wars' solo combat, and Everquest's group combat to be more engaging than Guild Wars' group combat.

And since it's all instanced, the world feels really, really dead. You can round a corner and hear sounds of combat, thinking you're about to see a player fighting a mob. You might say hi, you might throw a heal at him, you might just go on your way, but there's going to be a real person up there in a second, and that's cool. In Guild Wars, you round the corner and it's a soulless guard scripted to fight a soulless mob. If you're out soloing, the world is utterly soulless except for you -- no one to talk to in global chat to ease the grind, no one to trade with, no one to spontaneously form a group with, no competition for mobs, nothing.

Have you played Spellforce, by any chance? That's what Guild Wars feels like to me, except it has multiplayer lobbies (cities). And instant travel, which both makes the world feel very small and cheap, and removes the possibility of having any kind of non-combat skills like teleportation/portal in the game.

merry andrew

Erudite
And instant travel, which both makes the world feel very small and cheap, and removes the possibility of having any kind of non-combat skills like teleportation/portal in the game.
It's called "Guild Wars". Get it? :P

Sovard

Sovereign of CDS
Well, I think your biggest qualms with it stem from your playstyle.

You want to solo, yet you complain about the lack of people in an instanced world. I prefer the instances as it lets PvP be on my own terms, and I can choose whom I travel with and don't have to share mobs with any random passerby.

I know the game seems boring at first, but if you didn't get past level 10...you didn't give it a fair chance. Once you get into Kryta, the difficulty and activity in battle soar greatly. Granted, you are limited in your amount of skills, but it makes for wise decisions and helps you carve out a role for yourself. I personally hated WoW because the skills were just derivative Stab (Rank 1), Stab (Rank 2), etc. It really destroyed any kind of desire to level, as eventually you weren't getting any new/useful things.

I don't want to convince you to spend money on it, or try and sway you, but I feel you may be giving other people a poor starting impression of the game when you know very little about it.

As for combinations, ohhhh... I can't give away my secrets =)

Granted the Necromancer opens some interesting options when he uses skills that sacrifice his own health (which deters their regular usage), and combines it with damage reduction spells from the Monk. Or even the Price of Failure (does damage every time target misses you with a melee attack, 25% chance for them to miss), and the Ward of Melee (75% chance to miss melee against you and nearby allies). Needless to say, melee hated me by the end of the weekend.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
I say it's more like EQ because combat is SSSLLLLOOOOWWWW compared to Action/RPGs (especially when you meet enemies that can heal -- ugh, it can dissolve into thirty-minute long statelmates of attempting to out-damage their heals).
Stop playing with n00bz, then. A single mesmer casting dispel enchantments or backfire would fuck up their healer in no time, and your warriors could run in for the kill. Heck, if you were playing with a Hammer warrior he would have had no problem disrupting the monk with his attacks. Swords might be good for damage output but they're useless when it comes to utility.

By the way, you lied about everything else.

And instant travel, which both makes the world feel very small and cheap, and removes the possibility of having any kind of non-combat skills like teleportation/portal in the game.
How many times have I said? It's not a fucking MMORPG. You don't mine mithril or farm wheat in Guild Wars. You have to travel to new areas by foot. Instant travel is only available once you've been to the location, similar to Diablo 2's telepads, except this time it's accessible directly from the map. You don't have to go looking for it.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Oh, and if you're going to complain about how the entire game is instanced, you're obviously a fucktard. Stick to EQ, shithead.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Here's some fun/retarded quotes I picked up off the Comedy Gold (I mean World of Warcraft) forum about their 'knowledge' of Guild Wars, and why it's a 'sux gaem compared to WOW omfg'. The stupidity reminds me of UDH. He'd fit right in. BLIZZARD SI TEH BESATAR!

Let's start it off with a salute for our brave boys at Blizzard
Wow was made by blizz, a computer gaming legend who makes changes that can be influenced by the community.

EXPECT LOTS OF CHEATS
The developers say they will prevent exploits from showing up in the game. A free game preventing cheats, it would be the first of its kind. I hate to burst the fanboyz bubble but this game will have a large player base. (Of Cheaters and Exploiters). And for all of you that keep saying that this game will blow WoW away, what a joke, nobody can hold a candle to WoW's level of content. In addition, WoW's upcoming PvP Battlegrounds system will make the Guild Wars system look childish in comparison.

And stop using the lame pay to play arguement when hyping this game.
No pay for play = limited content, PERIOD!

HORRIBLE
THIS GAME IS WACK! IT SAYS NO MONTHLY FEES,AND NO HIDDEN FEE'S BUT I'VE HEARD THAT U HAV TO BUY MONTHLY EXPANSIONS THAT IS SCREWED UP! I'M NOT WAISTIN MY MONEY ON A GAME THAT IS NOT AN MMORPG...ITS MORE LIKE A 3D DIABLO NEVER BUY THIS GAME IT STINKS.

IDK HARD TO SAY STILL......?
Greetings Gamers, I have played games since Atari was new. I will have to say this game "seems" appealing BUT, Free to play makes my wonder. ATM i play FFXI and EQ2. I pay per month to support my gaming habit. What is so bad about having to pay to play. Since FFXI released in 11/03 I have bought one other game EQ2. These games hold your interest for a long time. I used to say "I'll NEVER pay to play" then I did. and wont have it any other way now. People need to realize that once it is free the GM Support is gone. Free to play = CHEATING-FEST. Look at Diablo II it is overrun by Cheaters, Hackers, and Dupers. This game will come and go and be a sinking money pit for the company who puts it out. It looks nice and probably plays nice, but it will be fun for like a month or so then it will fade away and ppl will go back to WoW, FFXI, EQ2, DAoC whatever. Watch and learn.
Free to play = cheating fest? What astute logic. Someone needs to read the FAQ, and perhaps grow a brain. WOW's full of cheaters, too, why do you think they disabled fishing in several areas in the game?

Here's one that sounds just like UDH:
WORST GAME EVER!
THIS IS BY FAR THE WORST GAME EVER! I guess the graphics are ok but still this game might be good for the time being but in a year the graphics an almost everything about the game will be expired then they will need a monthly fee to keep guild wars in-date c,mon folks think about it this game is to good to be true.If u want a good game get WOW, or SWG,.This game will last 1-2 years total and then more,better games will arise. guild wars was the worst idea ever to come to mind!!!!!!!!
WOW or SWG. Choices!

INSTEAD OF MONTHLY FEES...
....There will be expansions you have to buy bi-monthly. It's pretty much a gimmick, but still, I'll be getting them all.
You don't *have* to buy anything, as you can play without any of the planned expansions. It's 6-9 months, not bi-monthly (2 months). Utter ignorance.

A GAME TO KEEP ALL THE KIDDIES HAPPY.
Game is ok, but becasue of no subscription will fall flat on it's face a subscription fee is for keeping the content comming and the servers running smoothly.

At least for a while this will keep all the kiddies out of the big boy games that you have to pay 4.
Battle.net's been running for years now without a subscription fee, and the last time I checked, it had new content and the servers run much better than WOW's Crashathon. I wonder how old the poster is, if he thinks 'big boy games' are games you have to pay for on a monthly basis.

CAN YOU SAY, PAY FOR DOWNLOAD CONTENT?
Everyone that thinks this game will be free, as in free upgrades will be sadly mistaken. If you want to level your character after you reach a certain level, you must pay. New areas, you can download them if you pay for it, better equipment or to be allowed more rare loot, you must pay for that. So this is going to be everyones answer who are too cheap to play online games with nominal monthly fees? Nothing is free, remember that. Anyone beliving anything different about Guild Wars or any other supposedely free online game is dense to say the least. Be prepared for it, or just play WOW or SWG or whatever. In terms of quality content, you get what you pay for.
Sadly mistaken, oh yes. I smell a liar.

HMM.
This game is going to crash and burn, even with the lack of an online fee, you can already tell it doesnt have that certain allure to it.
Note: this guy refused to download the weekend preview beta even after I gave him a key. Stick to WOW, douchebag.

NO-FEES NOT WORTH IT
I do admit that the overall idea of the game they have in stoor looks great, but I fear that having to not pay monthly fees will only make it become another Diablo. Anybody who has played that game knows the problem with that game. After experincing free Diablo, and pay to play Everquest, believe me I much rather pay to play. Of course Everquest is a better game period, but the point is that the overal population of Everquest aren't either 1-Trying to rip you off in some sort of way, 2-rich people who just go onto ebay and buy their items making it impossible to compete, or 3-The hackers that somehow find their way into the system.

I think a GIANT roll-eyes will serve just as well as any comment all of the nonsense. WOW forum is pure comedy.

giant_rolleyes.gif

Here's my favorite:
No monthly Fee = Guild Wars = no money for upgrades = 1 lonely employee working in a basement.

I wonder how many of them know that Jeff Strain (Lead Programmer, GW) was responsible for the network code and the engine in Warcraft 3 and WOW.

Llyranor

Liturgist
Who the crap plays solo in an online game? Go play Morrowind.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom