Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Guilty Gear Strive - ArcSys fighting game

RoBoBOBR

Arcane
Patron
New game from the great Guilty Gear series announced, looking good.

Biscotti

Arbiter
Patron
Redefining the core concept of Guilty Gear and creating a game that both new and existing players would like to get their hands on? I'm not sure how to feel about that one. I hope they don't go down Capcom's route, we can all see how that turned out.

RoBoBOBR

Arcane
Patron
Capcom tried to capture sf2's lightning with sf4 and sf5, and was sorta successful. GG was always more complex, so i think this new one will still be rich in options and wacky characters.

Biscotti

Arbiter
Patron
I sure hope so. There's a widely circulated interview with Ishiwatari after DBFZ released in 2018 where he implied wanting to look into simplifying any future titles. I'm going to reserve my excitement until I see some raw, unedited gameplay.

RoBoBOBR

Arcane
Patron
It's 3D models that move on 2D plane. Plus animations use key frames and model distortion to emulate "sprite" feel of the game.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
I'm going to reserve my excitement until I see some raw, unedited gameplay.
This. Xrd is fun and all but it ain't no +R. That fact and the interview mentioned before pushes it firmly into "wait and see" territory for me. Unless they bring back the classic Potemkin look, then it's already GOTY BEST GAEM EVAR!

Generic-Giant-Spider

I'm not a GG player, but I despise when they try to simplify shit for people that don't even really care on what's being simplified.

Here's the secret to a successful fighting game: a badass roster, good content for single player, good online netcode, attractive art direction.

That's it. There is no casual that has ever picked up a fighting game, saw it dummy'd down and went, "OH GEE, I CAN FINALLY BECOME AWESOME." All you're doing when you strip away complexities and mechanics is fuck over your core audience who will give your game a bad reputation while any casual that picked it up will be gone in two weeks to play the latest new release.

The badass roster, single player content and art direction is your ticket to drawing a casual audience in. But it's the gameplay that will keep people talking about it for decades to come. It's the gameplay that made the "FGC" a thing to begin with.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm not a GG player, but I despise when they try to simplify shit for people that don't even really care on what's being simplified.

Here's the secret to a successful fighting game: a badass roster, good content for single player, good online netcode, attractive art direction.

That's it. There is no casual that has ever picked up a fighting game, saw it dummy'd down and went, "OH GEE, I CAN FINALLY BECOME AWESOME." All you're doing when you strip away complexities and mechanics is fuck over your core audience who will give your game a bad reputation while any casual that picked it up will be gone in two weeks to play the latest new release.

The badass roster, single player content and art direction is your ticket to drawing a casual audience in. But it's the gameplay that will keep people talking about it for decades to come. It's the gameplay that made the "FGC" a thing to begin with.
Well GG could never be acccused of dumbing down or have a lackluster roster. Arc System always new what fighting game players wanted. They even continued this philosophy with the Dragon Ball fighting game. So far they didn't give me a reason to doubt them.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron

Well GG could never be acccused of dumbing down or have a lackluster roster. Arc System always new what fighting game players wanted. They even continued this philosophy with the Dragon Ball fighting game. So far they didn't give me a reason to doubt them.
Except Xrd is already a dumbed down version of AC+R gameplay-wise, with both the overall style and the characters dialing down on the rough edge rock&roll while turning up the anime, moving closer to something like a cartoony BB. That's clearly a step down. Going from Guilty Gear to AC+R has been a steady incline, getting better at what it is with everything getting more refined but also expanded step by step. Even an experiment like Isuka is to be admired. Xrd stopped this trend except for in the GFX department, with the general style still suffering. I stopped getting pathetically butthurt over Xrd a good while ago but it is what it is, decline.

Nathir

Liturgist

Lol, Xrd was already dumbed down compared to +R, and the dragon ball fighting game is the most badly designed game there is. Universal full-screen gap closer, that beats out almost every other move? Sideswitching autocombos that move your character half a screen? Lol. I just hope they realize DBFZ sold well because it's dragon ball, not because of the dumbed down gameplay. Realistically though, I expect retardedly overpowered autocombos ala Bardock in DBFZ, that reward the player immensely for mashing 1 button.

Gameplay in Xrd is still good though. The worst thing in Xrd were the changes to the aestethic and the new character designs. They went full weeb, and this seems to follow suit. Also some old characters got offensively bad redesigns, like Potemkin and Baiken.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
the dragon ball fighting game is the most badly designed game there is.
Gotta disagree on that one, I think they nailed it for what it is, a fighting game that a 12 year old could pick up and become proficient at, nothing wrong with that.

J_C Would you care to explain what there is to disagree on? The fact that the guy below me nailed down the exact same problems with Xrd, that every GG fanboy most likely would, should show that these aren't opinions as such, they are subjective facts (yes that sounds retarded but I'll assume you get my drift).

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
J_C Would you care to explain what there is to disagree on? The fact that the guy below me nailed down the exact same problems with Xrd, that every GG fanboy most likely would, should show that these aren't opinions as such, they are subjective facts (yes that sounds retarded but I'll assume you get my drift).
I know this won't suprise you, but I have no idea what I'm talking about. :M

Gerrard

Arcane
Cross Tag already had a lot of "lessons" they learned from DBFZ, except they also crammed a lot of complexity for the sake of complexity into it.

RoBoBOBR

Arcane
Patron
IMO +R was overloaded with options, they basically gave almost every character a Force Break loaded with invuls, Zappa got too wild with the sword and stuff like that. Really showed that that particular installment was developed as a side-game while Ishiwatari was toiling on Xrd. Xrd itself i like, few blemishes like Danger Time maybe. DBFZ and Gran Blue fighters ARE simplified and what not, but they have different target audiences and were made by different people (no Ishiwatari at the helm), so i'm optimistic about new GG.

Biscotti

Arbiter
Patron
Zappa's absence from Xrd is reason enough to prefer that game over any predecessors. Fuck fighting that cancerous piece of shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom