Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Guilty pleasures

Syme

Arbiter
I think World of Warcraft qualifies for this.

Nito

Educated
Patron
World of Warcraft has somehow become a present part of my life for 15 years and i'm not sure it's even a game i'd recommend.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I'm sure there was a thread like this not that long ago and I confessed to finishing Dungeon Siege 3 twice in that one as well. I really enjoyed it and was sad to see it so poorly received. It wasn't in the same vein as DS1 and DS2 of course, but judged on it's own merits I still think it was a decent hack and slash.

Reality

Learned
Minor Car Combat games - it's wholesome to like Twisted Metal and Interstae 76, but I also like things like Vigilante 8 and even Cel Damage.

Footrace platformer racing games - These mainly exists as spin-offs of 3D platformer series such as Rayman Arena and Ape Escape Pumped and Prime - I don't know why I like the addition of multiplayer and race>collectable format, but I just do.

Steambot Chronicles - Kinda open world sandbox with tank controls and heavy slowdown during combat - I just enjoy the masses of side content that help you avoid actually dealing with the steamboat part of the game.

Custom Robo (GCN)- A comedy ARPG with way too many tutorials, but solid gameplay. When it does abrubtly try to be serious at the end it gives you an exposition dump SO long that the game autosaves 6 times over the course of one charather's speech. Has some incredibly obscure things and feels like every NPC in the entire world gets new dialog on a per battle basis - Many MANY absurd conversations if you talk to people who you have no sensical reason to talk too - I thought this game only appealed to my 10 year ago self, but playing it now is just constantly making me ask "WHY IS THIS STUFF IN THE GAME WHEN NO ONE IS EVER GOING TO SEE IT?"

Future Tactics The Uprising - I think of it as an Artillery game (ala 3D Worms games) but nowadays I think most people looking at gameplay would compare it to Valkyria Chronicles - Love the music, love the extremely deformable terrain. I do kind of have to look past the unneccesary ARPG-esque progression system and the "ice physics crosshair" (The Teleport Swap Gun is cool though)

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Path of Exile, so much problems (debatable gameplay decisions, lack of optimisation) but still playing.

Fallout Tactics, in real time. Nice hectic gameplay when guns start blazing.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I'm gonna read this as "games you know are pretty shit but you enjoyed playing anyway," since I don't really feel guilty about anything.

Mass Effect Andromeda was one. I'm a huge sci-fi obsessive so wandering around those big open sci-fi zones and sniping things was enjoyable for me, even though almost everything else was a big fail. Many would probably say a roughly similar thing about Dragon Age Inquisition, but I'm not the whore for Tolkien-esque fantasy and swords/magic that I am for sci-fi and sniping.

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare was a linear corridor shit-fest that spawned a dozen worse sequels and a ton of trash copycats, but I'll admit I found the story campaign pretty entertaining the first go-around. Mostly the stuff with Captain Price, which made you feel like a spec-ops soldier pretty well.

Similarly Splinter Cell: Double Agent was very flawed, and the PC port was terrible, but it did a good job making you feel like an undercover spy sometimes and I enjoyed that a lot.

Deus Ex: Invisible War is obviously a massive dump in a rancid toilet compared to the first one, but because I love immersive sims (and sci-fi) and they're relatively rare, I still enjoyed it on a basic level, and have played it through a few times.

There's a pretty shit stealth game called Velvet Assassin I remember enjoying way more than I should have just because I love stealth and it had a cool look and feel to it.

Risen 2 (and 3 to a lesser extent) was super flawed with tiny and linear islands, but the pirate vibe and sarcastic dialog made me enjoy and finish it anyway.

Semiurge

Cipher
Classic Tomb Raider games (I-V).

deff926d019713755c20dfc3568cedcb.jpg

howlingFantods

Learned
Bethesda games. Just think of them as exploration simulators and you'll enjoy them more.
I want to like Skyrim for its exploration but those hallway dungeons absolutely ruin the game :negative:

First time i played Ultima 9 back in 2015 i enjoyed it, the game has some goofy charm and the soundtrack is amazing:

I completed the first dungeon, played it for 5 hours. However, the controls in this game are just too shit no matter how much i messed around it, so i stopped playing and never came back.

Biscotti

Arbiter
Patron
Bethesda games. Just think of them as exploration simulators and you'll enjoy them more.
I want to like Skyrim for its exploration but those hallway dungeons absolutely ruin the game :negative:

There's no fun in exploration when the world feels like a glorified theme park though. If you have Skyrim installed you owe it to yourself to play Enderal if you want interesting dungeons/locations in a world that actually feels dangerous and hostile.

Semiurge

Cipher
Classic Tomb Raider games (I-V).

deff926d019713755c20dfc3568cedcb.jpg
How is that a guilty pleasure though?

Probably because they're so simple and easy that a child could play them, but then again finding all the many secrets in them on your own can be difficult. They are much like classic platformer games in 3D, like Rayman 2: The Great Escape (which I like too even though it's obviously a kid's game).

Nevermind, kids can be better at games that don't require thinking because of their lightning fast reflexes and malleable brains. I now suck at some arcade fighting games that I mastered earlier.

Last edited:

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
There was a time when I "played" a lot of singstar and buzz! on ps3 with people who probably never saw a proper crpg in their lives and even some, mildly attractive, women. Enjoyed it a lot:oops:

Poseidon00

Arcane
The original campaigns of Neverwinter Nights 1 and 2. I could speedrun it half paying attention at this point

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom