Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Crispy™ Guise, is breath of fire 3 worth getting?

aris

Arcane
??

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Definitely, it's my favorite in the series. The story may be a little weaker than BoF IV, but the characters are great and the dragon forms are at their peak here, IMHO.

Grimlorn

Arcane
It's the only Breath of Fire game I've played in the series, so it's obviously the best one.
I remember nothing about it to be honest.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
The thing about BoF3 is that most people will say it's the best BoF game only because of the dragon system. While it's a great idea and done well, there are still a few superior dragon forms you will choose from that you'll want to stick by. I didn't find any of the characters in your party particularly interesting, the music failed to stimulate me at all and sounded like elevator music to me and the story was rather boring. The best part was the childhood part where you are getting pushed around by Balio & Sunder wherever you go and oh my god it felt so good to finally cave in their faces after getting fucked over them for the last 10 hours. But that's where the game climaxed. The second half where you are an adult was just boring shit with lots of swapping your party members for less interesting characters (fucking Momo) just because the current dungeon wont let you progress further without the specific person.

I hate BoF3.

Stabwound

Arcane
My experience with BoF3 was getting stuck in some dungeon where the only way out was to defeat a boss that I couldn't possibly kill without grinding for hours. The end.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
What did you do, give all your characters masters that give them stats they can't use and equip them with wooden sticks? The hardest fight in the game is probably the volcano one, which boils down to spamming ice attacks and wearing flame resistance armor (which is found in that dungeon). And IIRC that dungeon is considered a good spot to level up anyways because the enemies give out such massive xp, so if anything you probably needed to spend like 10 minutes, even if you were being retarded all game long and had the brilliant plan of using the only character in the game weak to fire against the pair of lava worms.

TigerKnee

Arcane
I preferred it over 4. It's a really mellow slow-paced game though which might be a problem to some people.

Damned Registrations

I prefer it over 4 as well, due to much better battle mechanics. I think 4 has better characters, but in both cases the story is pretty banal and the pacing is awful. Actually, that's pretty much true of all the normal BoF series. Dragon Quarter had good pacing though. But in all the traditional styled ones they start off somewhat interesting, then just faff about getting progressively less interesting characters (Spar? Peco? WTF?) and doing progressively more irrelevant things while the main plot lies dead and forgotten in the background. Until like the last 5% of the game where you just suddenly jump to the final conflict. At least in BoF 3 you had exponentially more dragon forms to try out as the game progressed to distract you from the pointless quest to wander through the desert for an hour for no real reason at all. 2 had a similar thing going with the shamans and the party roster, fusions got a lot more interesting and helped tide you over the retarded plot dragging you through a whale and shit like that. But 4.... you get all the party members and dragon forms and masters, but it's all boring and trivial. There's nothing to test out; you're just shuffling the same spells you've had all game long onto new characters, or getting AoE versions of them.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
If we are counting the upgraded dragon forms in BoF4 then I don't think you can get all of them on one play. Most masters in BoF3 granted you new skills only after you apprenticed under them for a certain amount of levels leading to some banal grind just to get one or two good skills. In BoF4 you had to fulfill some special conditions, like high combos, in order for them to teach you new skills. So don't tell me there was nothing to test you out in BoF4 and pretend that BoF3 was any different. To make the most out of BoF4's combat system you really had to experiment with all the skills and spells to get the best combos out of them, especially if you wanted to beat the optional dungeon that you unlock after beating the game. BoF3 just boils down to Focusing and then Shadowwalking everything to death while Rei does what he does in his berserk form and have Nina or Momo buff and heal. Add the Super Saiyan form to Focus + Shadowwalk once you get it.

People will say BoF3 is better only because of the dragon gene splicing, but that's about as interesting as the game gets.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
People will say BoF3 is better only because of the dragon gene splicing, but that's about as interesting as the game gets.

But the system is great!

You can build Ryu in many different ways. Boost up his strength and use the Warrior or Kasier form for hard hitting damage.
Do a magic Ryu build and use the more magically inclined dragon forms (also have longer lasting dragon forms).
You can also do a HP build and use the big forms, like Tiamat and Mammoth, to take advantage of the HP-based breath attacks. Tiamat is a personal favorite due to it being immune to status attacks, protecting your teammates via absorbing them, and being dirt cheap to maintain AP wise.

Damned Registrations

And as far as I played in BoF4, fights were just focus > shining blade (And Scias fucking STARTS with that skill, shadowwalk is a pretty lategame skill iirc). Most of the master skills were irrelevant, and the ones that weren't didn't require any thinking. There's nothing interesting about a single target high damage earth spell. You just spam it on enemies weak vs earth. It's not the same as getting the mutant gene and mixing it with all sorts of combos to see what it does. There were no skill combos in BoF4 that I saw, unless you meant the laughably pointless elemental ones. Yeah, I really want to have scias casting ice for piddly fuck all damage instead of hitting things for massive damage, just so I can cast a slightly more damaging aoe spell. IF it happens to be of 2 elements that every enemy isn't immune to.

Both games lacked any real challenge. But at least finding entirely new dragon forms by exploring was interesting, unlike BoF4 where you just get a new breath attack. Yawn.

BoF2 with the retranslation patch (if you can't read Japanese) is my favorite in the series.

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Yes. The first one, despite being a good game, is not considered to be the best in the series at all.

2 - 4 are all considered to be great JRPGs. Dragon Quarter...well, I've never played it. Back in the day, DQ was considered to be absolute trash, but lately people have been calling it an underrated classic, so I can't really say.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom