Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Gujian 3 - Story-driven Action RPG from China

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by felipepepe, Dec 30, 2019.

1. felipepepe Prestigious Gentleman Codex's Heretic Patron

felipepepe
    This one came out in late 2018, but was translated to English only last month. It's basically a AAA Action-RPG from China, the closest comparison I can think of would be something like Witcher 2 or Greedfall, but more linear and story-driven like a JRPG.

I just finished it, took me around 50 hours. It's really good, the combat is much better than Withcer 3 or Greedfall (there's even an unlockable boss rush mode), while the story has a nice wuxia / chinese myth flair that feels entirely different from western or japanese games.

It feels like a VERY expensive game. Not only it's gorgeous and fully-voiced, but has several mini-games (including a card game and a clone of Captain Toad), plus a home base you can customize by researching & crafting decorations.

My only complains are the very limited customization options , and the fact that you can get locked out of important side-quests (and extra bosses) if you advance the story at certain points. Also, the translation is professional, with only a few typos here and there, but be warned that voiced dialog is only in Chinese.

Other than that, it's currently on sale on Steam for a good price, I recommend it for storyfags:

Last edited: Dec 30, 2019
    • Brofist x 8
    • Informative x 5
    • hopw roewur ne x 4
    • Interesting x 1
    • PIRACY IS WRONG x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Sykar Arcane

Sykar
    So this is part of a trilogy? Or is it like Final Fantasy where each title is a self contained story?

^ Top  
  3. felipepepe Prestigious Gentleman Codex's Heretic Patron

felipepepe
    First two games are only in Chinese, so I jumped in blind and had no issues whatsoever. Apparently all games are set in the same world, but tell entirely different stories with different characters. There were clearly some nods here and there, but nothing vital to the story.

• Informative Informative x 2
    ^ Top  
  4. Cat Dude Learned

Cat Dude
    I expect low quality for a product made in China.

• hopw roewur ne x 1
    • rolleyes x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • meh x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • sheeple x 1
    • NPC #61873 came up with this opinion all by his / herself x 1
    • Disgusting! x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Theldaran Arbiter

Theldaran
    Cut some slack to the people who decided that communism didn't work, at least that deserves some merit.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Dayyālu Arcane

Dayyālu
    Theoretical question: if someone hates wuxia (and I mean strong hatred of the genre) the influences are strong enough to be annoying? Similar to anime, I can stand it if the underlying system is good enough.

Also, how's performance?

Should try Norinco, stuff works.

• decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Old Hans Arbiter

Old Hans
    this game probably installs chinese bit coin miner malware

• Merry Christmas! Merry Christmas! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. HarveyBirdman Savant

HarveyBirdman
    >from China

:keepmyjewgold:

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Jinn Arcane

Jinn
    If you don't like wuxia, this wouldn't be the game for you. This is the embodiment of stylish Chinese historical-fantasy wuxia. I'd say it has some of the best action RPG combat ever made, but the RPG systems themselves aren't super indepth. Much closer to JRPG style progression.

It's good, with infrequent FPS drop on my mid-high range system.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • honk honk! honk honk! x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Tommy Wiseau Arcane

Tommy Wiseau
    Does it have any choices and consequences or is it just a JRPG?

^ Top  
  11. Jinn Arcane

Jinn
    None that I've seen in my 30 hours of play.

• decline decline x 2
    ^ Top  
  12. felipepepe Prestigious Gentleman Codex's Heretic Patron

felipepepe
    None, story is always the same, only thing you might miss are some side-quests that solve pending issues, but are optional and won't affect the main story.

• decline decline x 2
    ^ Top  
  13. felipepepe Prestigious Gentleman Codex's Heretic Patron

felipepepe
    Heads up, this is 66% off on Steam now.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Disgusting! Disgusting! x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Skdursh Learned

Skdursh
    Game looks interesting, but from what I've been told the saves are directly tied to an online server, meaning if you do not have internet access you cannot access your save games. For that reason I highly recommend people AVOID this game.

• Informative x 3
    • Brofist x 2
    • Agree x 2
    • decline x 1
    • That's an Elephant x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Jinn Arcane

Jinn
    A terrible practice to be sure. However, the original Gujian apparently launched with the same type of DRM, then reverted after a couple of years to a save on hard drive system.

I wasn't happy to discover the online save system at first, but ultimately I feel Gujian 3 will follow the trend of its predecessor at some point. Otherwise, it really hasn't interfered with my enjoyment of the game.

^ Top  
  16. Arthandas Arbiter

Arthandas
    I agree, Felipe likes to hide this very crucial fact whenever he's talking about Gujian. I'll buy it if it ever goes offline like the previous parts.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • meh meh x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Darth Canoli Magister

Darth Canoli
    Isn't Chinese shit meant to go in the iggy bin jrpg subforum ?

• Yes Yes x 5
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. cruel Savant

cruel
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
    • No No x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    • Disgusting! Disgusting! x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. udm Arcane Patron

udm
    If Jinn likes it, I'm willing to give it a try.

See mate, this is how much I like you.

Show Spoiler
    The Brazilian guy in the corner there with shit tastes, who wrote some book? Not so much.
    Show Spoiler
    I'm kidding man love ya too :brodex:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Jinn Arcane

Jinn
    Thanks man, I appreciate it.

I did enjoy Gujian quite a bit, but everyone looking to get it needs to remember a couple things: that I'm pretty biased towards this type of fiction genre and that it is a very story-heavy game. The later of which to the point where I really wish it would lay off the narrative a bit more and allow more player freedom to simply enjoy the game and explore the world.

I stand by what I said about the combat being some of the best action-RPG combat I've seen. And on the higher difficulties it can really provide a nice challenge. I just wish there was a bit more of it, and a bit less cutscenes. That isn't to say I don't like what's going on in the cutscenes, because I certainly do. It just suffers in terms of pacing due to their frequency and length.

This post at cruel too.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. deama Liturgist

deama
    How is the story? I seem to usually not like or be just "ok" with jrpg stories.
    So how does the story compare to stuff like... kingdom come deliverance, or even jade empire?
    Will the story give me some sort of new perspective (or attempt to at least) or is it just fluff?

^ Top  
  22. Robber Baron Novice

Robber Baron
    Looks intresting and I'm a sucker for good graphics, also chinese culture is so alien to me it's always nice to see some genuine non hollywood representation of it, will try it out

^ Top  
  23. felipepepe Prestigious Gentleman Codex's Heretic Patron

felipepepe
    It's clearly NOT written by western or Japanese writers. You have very few main characters and long conversations about morality, fate, the gods, love, etc... without getting into spoilers, the main character is basically a deity, in an epic journey across the land of mortals and various spirit worlds.

While the setting is Wuxia-inspired like Jade Empire, BioWare clearly just saw Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon then read the wiki for Journey to the West and wrote the setting as cliche and bland as possible. Gujian feels much more fleshed out, full of unique sights, like the mythical Bronze Age China from the Yellow Emperor's rule. It's not extremely original, it's very in line with Wuxia RPGs like Tale of Wuxia or Chinese Paladin, but it's a great starting point since it's well-translated and feels great to play.

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • meh meh x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. deama Liturgist

deama
    Alright, I'll give it a go.
    Is the English translation applied automatically or do I have to download it separately?

^ Top  
  25. M. AQVILA Arcane

M. AQVILA
    Gujian 1 has an unofficial English translation, and I was actually considering buying it. But even though I love Wuxia, I don't like JRPGs much.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.