Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter GURPS Dungeon Fantasy standalone boxed set

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
I've seen very little promotion/hype for this pretty much anywhere outside the GURPS community:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/847271320/dungeon-fantasy-roleplaying-game-powered-by-gurps

961f597cb8b9286dfcb86b2aee03d241_original.png

As of right now 100% funded, 11 days to go.

Kickstarter said:
Everything you need for monster-slaying, treasure-hunting action done the way you like it! Powered by GURPS.

GURPS (the Generic Universal RolePlaying System) turns 30 this year, and Dungeon Fantasy focuses its award-winning power on hack ‘n’ slash fantasy roleplaying, where stalwart heroes kick down doors, kill monsters, and take their stuff in order to grow powerful enough to tackle the next quest . . . which naturally features stronger doors, tougher monsters, and better stuff!

This standalone boxed set contains everything you need to play: cardboard figures, combat maps, dice, and five full-color rulebooks that feature original art.

While based on the GURPS Basic Set and its GURPS Dungeon Fantasy and GURPS Magic supplements, this is a standalone roleplaying game, ready to play out of the box! It’s compatible with GURPS, but the famously detailed rules have been streamlined to be friendlier to new gamers and veterans alike. For existing GURPS fans, revisions made in response to nearly 10 years of customer feedback on the GURPS Dungeon Fantasy series – along with completely new content unique to this set – make this a “must have.”

Will be interesting to see to which grade the mentioned streamlining has actually taken place; then again when in doubt house ruling has always been a big factor.

Morkar Left

I've seen very little promotion/hype for this pretty much anywhere outside the GURPS community

Maybe because it's the most ridiculous / most blunt title I've ever heard for any fantasy rpg.
Otherwise could be interesting. Gurps is a better system than D&D.

L'ennui

Magister
Well, Dungeons and Dragons is not exactly the work of a great literary genius either, and that hasn't stopped it. Honestly, the name is perfectly fine and its actually descriptive as opposed to trying too hard to be special.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Well, Dungeons and Dragons is not exactly the work of a great literary genius either, and that hasn't stopped it. Honestly, the name is perfectly fine and its actually descriptive as opposed to trying too hard to be special.

Dungeons & Dragons is a far, far more evocative name than Dungeon Fantasy is.

Keldryn

Arcane
I've seen very little promotion/hype for this pretty much anywhere outside the GURPS community:

I don't think that there is any hype for a GURPS product anywhere outside the GURPS community.

I guess the niche for this product are GURPS fans who have been bugging the rest of the gaming group to try GURPS, but they just want to stick with D&D. I like GURPS in theory. Never had much fun playing it though.

nikolokolus

Arcane
the system that makes everyone go "eh no its too complicated" when brought up is never going to get new players.
Gurps is that bad?
Judge for yourself http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/lite/3e/gurpslite.pdf
That's the 3e lite version.

My personal opinion from having only read a few versions of the game years ago (and not played it) is that it's far more detailed and complicated than I would ever be comfortable running, but if somebody else wanted to run it I'd give it a shot at least. BRP based games scratch my skill-based gaming itch, so I'm probably biased.

Last edited:

L'ennui

Magister
The problem with GURPS is the presentation for new players or players that don't want a bazillion rules and options. It's quite possible to play a rules-light and simple game of GURPS... but looking at all the optional crunch in the Basic Set books certainly doesn't give that impression.

It's the equivalent of starting your first day in grade school with a dissertation on String Theory, and only being told at the very end that for now, simple additions and spelling are what you'll be toying with.

That's why having a product with a familiar focus and all the extra crunch trimmed off can be a very useful introduction to the system. They should have done this years ago, but better late than never.

Last edited:
the system that makes everyone go "eh no its too complicated" when brought up is never going to get new players.
Gurps is that bad?
Nah. The link to the Lite version posted here is for the 3rd edition, but a new one can be found on the net as well if you want to check it out. Basically, the actual game mechanics are not that complex, what is demanding is the amount of detail you can put into into character creation, which appeals to those that like to customise their char into smallest details, but is a turn off if you can't be bothered. You have 4 stats and various skills that are based on stats, but also a shit ton of different advantages and disadvantages that you can take to really flesh out the character. If you want to play a greedy lecherous pacifist one-legged one-eyed deaf midget telepath - you can, and there are specific mechanics in the book for every one of those trait and a lot more.

I feel the weakest part of GURPS is that you also kinda need a good setting book to get you started. Something like THS or Reign of Steel. Haven't checked dungeon fantasy, but maybe that would work too. There exists an official universal world-jumping setting, but it's kind of weak.

Old One

Arcane
Dungeon Fantasy is so generic it could be about almost anything. I mean, if you do a search for "Dungeon Fantasy," you're probably going to get some BDSM hits down the list. Even more if you do a search for "Dungeon Fantasy Role-Playing Game."

A product name should be something tangible, like say, Tunnels & Trolls. Caverns & Creatures. Holes & Horrors. Mazes & Monsters.

Also, you guys are a lot more excited by cold oatmeal than I ever expected.

That being said, I might buy this. I've always wanted a simple introduction to GURPS, and I have a friend with kids who might enjoy it when I'm finished reading all the material.

L'ennui

Magister
So sue us, you gotta get your fiber somewhere, else you end up cranky and stuffed like yours truly!

All kidding and bland naming aside, GURPS is an excellent system so this is a good thing.

Self-Ejected

aeternalis

Wordcel
Patron
I've always wanted to play a GURPS game, but I never really saw the point of Dungeon Fantasy. Seems to be limiting the strengths of the system. I'm trying to get my sperg on. If I want to hack & slash I'll just play D&D.

Still, good on them for reaching the funding goal. From what I infer, they need it.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
It does seem like an odd choice to focus on this, I would think that the big appeal of GURPS is that you can do things with it besides D&D-style fantasy.

Mozg

Arcane
I imagine GURPS-based dungeon diving has a lot nastier, real-seeming combat than D&D. One bad hit can kill you outright and the magic is much more like old D&D and has a lot of "weird physics" elements rather than Magic the Gathering cards that are about gamey rules manipulations in combat.

But when I was into GURPS I was into it to do not-Dungeons-and-Dragons-at-all so I never looked into the fantasy bits.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom