Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Guys, I think we've drifted apart

Lumpy

Arcane
I see you're all excited about Skyrim, having vivid arguments whether it's shittier than Oblivion or not. I'd love to join in. To relive the happy days of 2006, even if just for a bit.

But I can't. I don't really care anymore. I don't care about Skyrim, about how good it is or how much it sucks. Live and let live, you know? Why should I care if some people like Skyrim? I know I wouldn't. I don't play many RPGs these days anyway. I read an LP on the Codex every once in a while. I'm following the Dangerous High School Girls in Trouble one at the moment.

Come to think about it, LPs are the only thing I read here. I've read three Magna Mundi ones and half of the DA2 one. I gave up halfway through. It was fun at first but I didn't really care anymore. I don't really post either - I just post in threads that I want to follow so that they come up on egosearch. I don't follow many threads.

So, I guess this is goodbye. I'm not really leaving or anything, I'll still read a thread every once in a while. I guess in that sense, I've really left quite some time ago. It's been fun and all, you're all cool guys and everything. Enjoy Skyrim and all that stuff. I suppose Mass Effect 3 is coming out? I don't really know much about the Mass Effects - did you like them or not? I'll probably drop by when it does come out to see what you think. Not that I'll be playing it. I don't really play games anymore. Anyway, see you around.

Lumpy

Arcane
Majestic47 said:
Uh...why is this in RPG discussion. :D

Well, it seemed fitting. It's where I started out 6 years ago. I suppose it's where it should end.

I see you've just joined. Well cool. Carry on the flame and all that. Enjoy.

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
Best 'it's not you, it's me' monolog I had to hear in like... ever. Because finally for once it's actually really not me!

NewFag

Educated
I've been lurking the codex religiously for two months now. I stumbled upon here three months ago, bewildered by the twisted and perverse denizens. The elite palate, the lofty cynicism. I felt at home.

I've been waiting for an opportunity to make a first post. I guess this shall be it.

I hardly know you, not yet acquainted even, but I wish you the best...

...you'll be back.

Majestic47

Learned
Pretty much. Codex is my home page. :) It felt kinda wrong not visiting it daily. Like there's something...missing.

If you guys start charging $10 for posting privileges, I might just THINK about it.

Elsewhere in the internet, everyone seems to be overall 'polite' and such. This is the only forum place where people can just outright call each other bullshit...and not get banned...unless they stepped out of their bounds or something (Hello Andhaira!).

I realize this may seem like a divided community, with the (EXTREME) likes & dislikes of recent (MAJESTIC) AAA release. I completely, absolutely adored this aspect of the Codex without question. Other forums seems to be drowning in AAA lovers, where criticism, no matter how valid they are are considered 'unimportant.'

It's just strange why outsiders think the Codex is such a terrible place, as long you have a thick skin, and able to carry your ego...roll with the punches, and be slightly open minded, you'll fit right in. Hey, even Volourn stuck around, so there's gotta be something here for Bioware fans.

Disclaimer: The above statement is regarding Generally Gaming Discussions and RPGs and what not and does not constitute the endorsement of General Discussions since I do not frequent that section of the Codex much.

Anyways, you'll be back, Lumpy! Take care!

Wunderpurps

Educated
Ten years ago if you bitched about the decline on developer forums you were a trolling asshole and you'd get a stern lecture on how awesome the awesome future would be.

Five years ago RPGs had been wholly replaced by pseudo action games with (really shitty) stories and cutscenes, and saying so got 100 cries of trolling.

Now, gay elf sex and stories written by illiterate housewives who don't know basic English such as the difference between insure and ensure. Deluded retards still trying to get devs to post in a forum on a dead gaming genre, and all you have to do is fucking register to get accused of trolling. Devs not only admit the accusations they were destroying RPGs as a whole for over a decade but the smarter ones work hard to distance themselves from the term realizing it's never been their true audience. A few indie games that have millions of words of blog "updates" and forum posts and never seem any closer to completion, and all but the dimmest realize there's no real RPG genre any more and all genres have devolved into an abomination where you just walk around and look at pretty stuff and talk to random characters who are written and voiced by morons.

But the lulz are still there. Kinda. Sometimes.

:(

NewFag

Educated
Wunderpurps said:
Ten years ago if you bitched about the decline on developer forums you were a trolling asshole and you'd get a stern lecture on how awesome the awesome future would be.

Five years ago RPGs had been wholly replaced by pseudo action games with (really shitty) stories and cutscenes, and saying so got 100 cries of trolling.

Now, gay elf sex and stories written by illiterate housewives who don't know basic English such as the difference between insure and ensure. Deluded retards still trying to get devs to post in a forum on a dead gaming genre, and all you have to do is fucking register to get accused of trolling. Devs not only admit the accusations they were destroying RPGs as a whole for over a decade but the smarter ones work hard to distance themselves from the term realizing it's never been their true audience. A few indie games that have millions of words of blog "updates" and forum posts and never seem any closer to completion, and all but the dimmest realize there's no real RPG genre any more and all genres have devolved into an abomination where you just walk around and look at pretty stuff and talk to random characters who are written and voiced by morons.

But the lulz are still there. Kinda. Sometimes.

:(

Fuck that's a bleak and depressing outlook. Guess I joined 10 years too late. I'll just consider observing the decline through the Kodex Kritical Konsensus monocle lens as a form of rage-inducing edutainment. :?

Wunderpurps

Educated
After writing that I want to lay down to sad music and die, like the elephant man.

Lumpy

Arcane
Majestic47 said:
Elsewhere in the internet, everyone seems to be overall 'polite' and such. This is the only forum place where people can just outright call each other bullshit...and not get banned...unless they stepped out of their bounds or something (Hello Andhaira!).

I realize this may seem like a divided community, with the (EXTREME) likes & dislikes of recent (MAJESTIC) AAA release. I completely, absolutely adored this aspect of the Codex without question. Other forums seems to be drowning in AAA lovers, where criticism, no matter how valid they are are considered 'unimportant.'

Anyways, you'll be back, Lumpy! Take care!
Yes, I know, but you see, I don't care about AAA games anymore. Yeah, Skyrim probably sucks, and people like it even though they shouldn't, but you know... I don't mind. I don't need a forum where dissenting opinions are permitted because I don't have an opinion anymore. Come to think of it, the most recent RPG I've played is Mask of the Betrayer. That's 2007. I haven't played any game newer than 2007. Jesus fuck. I was in 10th grade back then.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Lumpy said:
Why should I care if some people like Skyrim?
I don't care and you are mistaken if you think the general population of GRPG cares.

Most of us really just talk about the games we like, and only a few very shrill ones like BLOBERT are obsessed with what other people's opinions or tastes are.

NewFag

Educated
Before you die, I need the Kuality Kodex Kounsel on Temple of Elemental Evil. I just got it (don't ask how), being the only Troika title I have yet to play (loved Bloodlines and Arcanum). Since it's my first run I need to know whether to grab Co8, or play vanilla. And if I get Co8, should I just install the basic stuff, or the new content as well?

Lumpy

Arcane
Wyrmlord said:
Lumpy said:
Why should I care if some people like Skyrim?
I don't care and you are mistaken if you think the general population of GRPG cares.

Most of us really just talk about the games we like, and only a few very shrill ones like BLOBERT are obsessed with what other people's opinions or tastes are.
Yeah but Wyrmie what games are there? I've talked about the ones I liked. There weren't many. I'm not playing any new games anymore. I think I want to become a banker, I'm reading about that stuff. Any advice?

Lumpy

Arcane
NewFag said:
Before you die, I need the Kuality Kodex Kounsel on Temple of Elemental Evil. I just got it (don't ask how), being the only Troika title I have yet to play (loved Bloodlines and Arcanum). Since it's my first run I need to know whether to grab Co8, or play vanilla. And if I get Co8, should I just install the basic stuff, or the new content as well?
I think I've read once that the new content adds the sword of Drizzt to some store. People were angry about that. Why were they angry? I mean does it really matter? Was it worth remembering, anyway?

NewFag

Educated
I actually feel the same as you Lumpy, about new games and all. I've actually been tread-milling backwards, playing older titles exclusively. I'm actually quite wearied from gaming in general. Back when I was still in my teens, I could and would play 8-16 hours per day, easily finishing most games (I'm a completionist too) in under 3 days. Presently, it takes me two months almost to finish a game of approximately the same length. I just finished IWD2 not long ago, took me 3 months. So I'm expecting ToEE to last me till next February, so more content wouldn't be a bad thing.

waywardOne

Arcane
This makes me wonder: is there a website that publishes genuine suicide notes?

NewFag

Educated
As a newfag, I'm quite curious as to what exactly they did to get banned? Repeatedly.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom