Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Guys I'm looking for a game to play

Cadmus

Arcane
I played this game. Once I turned it off after completion I had an epiphany and discovered I was gay and created a twitter account for making socio-political statements, and further still, realized I had terrible taste in games prior and meaningful games like TOW is the way forward.

In all seriousness the game isn't completely terrible but I STRONGLY recommend skipping over it. It's just not very good in every aspect of design. There's so many better games you could be playing.
OK like which ones?

Ash

Arcane
Since this is a thread dedicated to an action RPG I shall recommend more worthwhile action RPGs:

:obviously: Tier

Deus Ex
System Shock 2
Arx Fatalis
Fallout: New Vegas
Ultima Underworld

Good Tier:

Morrowind
Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines
Salt & Sanctuary

:obviously: Console ARPGs:

Dark Souls
Dark Souls 2
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

Cadmus

Arcane
Since this is a thread dedicated to an action RPG I shall recommend more worthwhile action RPGs:

Deus Ex
System Shock 2
Arx Fatalis
Ultima Underworld

Good Tier:

Morrowind
Salt & Sanctuary

Dark Souls
Dark Souls 2
OK dude thank you but I either played all of these or dont like them.
I was hoping for something more recent. Actually it doesn't have to be an aRPG at all, I would prefer something slower, methodical, TB even.

Yosharian

Arcane

Deus Ex
System Shock 2
Arx Fatalis
Ultima Underworld

Good Tier:

Morrowind
Salt & Sanctuary

Dark Souls
Dark Souls 2
OK dude thank you but I either played all of these or dont like them.
I was hoping for something more recent. Actually it doesn't have to be an aRPG at all, I would prefer something slower, methodical, TB even.
Have you heard of our lord and saviour Pathfinder: Kingmaker?

Ash

Arcane
Cadmus said:

May I suggest Darkwood in that case? Genuinely one of the best games of the last decade. Not quite RPG (no stats) but has branching narrative, a few perks, meaningful crafting. Very slow and methodical. unforgiving, hardcore gameplay (by today's shit standards, but equivalent to fair 90s stuff).

Yoshi said:
Have you heard of our lord and saviour Pathfinder: Kingmaker?

It is Russian. So the fine nation has finally made a good video game?

Yosharian

Arcane
OK so maybe Pathfinder - is it TB?
It has a turn-based mode which is reasonably good so far in my experience, I've not seen any bugs with it. You can switch between RTWP and TB which is quite good IMO because you can use turn-based for exacting tactical play in difficult encounters, and RTWP for smashing through trash mobs.

Humbaba

Arcane
Have you actually played the game?

Sure did. Lantern King was enough of a motherfucker in real time, wouldn't really want to spend any more time on him than necessary. The game's not tactically deep enough to warrant a turn based mode anyway if you ask me but if you like it that's fine, I envy your patience.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I definitely play some encounters in Pathfinder: WotR in turn-based. Swift actions, move actions, hex renewals... there's a lot going on in the pathfinder rules and in WotR, just smashing everything doesn't always work like it did in Kingmaker.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
I definitely play some encounters in Pathfinder: WotR in turn-based. Swift actions, move actions, hex renewals... there's a lot going on in the pathfinder rules and in WotR, just smashing everything doesn't always work like it did in Kingmaker.

Its funny but I’ve discovered that the harder the fight the harder TB is. Way easier to Zerg and gank in RT. In TB Im a sitting duck for whatever spell the boss decides to cast while on RT the whole team is already in her face. Likewise I can use Perfect Strike with each of Lann’s shots and each shot will cash in a Leading Strike in RT while in TB he shoots his wad all alone and all at once.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Have you actually played the game?

Sure did. Lantern King was enough of a motherfucker in real time, wouldn't really want to spend any more time on him than necessary. The game's not tactically deep enough to warrant a turn based mode anyway if you ask me but if you like it that's fine, I envy your patience.

Now play the other 90% of the game and get back to us.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
What genres?
RPG
I get 1 hour in the morning to play so it should be easy to interrupt and remember wtf was happening.

Try ELEX, it's a bit particular, like the Gothic and Risen series, it's not a bog-standard RPG, it's idiosyncratic, but it's a lot of fun for the most part (with some annoyances) and you can definitely play it in bite-sized action chunks.

demoman

Educated
I have a similar daily allotment of game time. I am rotating between Prey(2017), Star Sector and Encased. I would recomend all three, in that order.

Caveat is the first two are barely rpgs and the third is early access. All three are pretty cool tho..

Cunt Dickula!?

Since you have a Gothic avatar i recommend Kingdom Come Deliverance. It has some Gothic dna mixed with an interesting medieval setting.

Bloodeyes

Arcane
you can use turn-based for exacting tactical play in difficult encounters

And if you really want these encounters to last 10 times longer than they would with based RTWP.
Yes encounters are much quicker if you party wipe on turn 4. The system is made for turn based and most classes have features that can't be practically managed in RT. Even with point and squirt melee damage characters like Amiri you need to send a tank in first, and it can matter whether she stands on the left or right side of said tank because she has too little AC (in the early game) to stand on the right and draw agro from the whole crowd. Against any enemy worth a damn turn based is the way to go.

Yosharian

Arcane
And you can always spam the spacebar to hurry along the enemy's turn

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom