Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GW discovers price inelasticity: stock drops 24%

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
It seems Games Workshop is having some troubles...

http://observationdeck.io9.com/the-empire-of-games-workshop-is-burning-1504415669

GW+drop+2.jpg

Now, this is obviously not as good as it sounds, since they're still making a lot of money, but there is yet hope they will croak and someone competent will be put in charge.

It seems Games Workshop is having some troubles...

http://observationdeck.io9.com/the-empire-of-games-workshop-is-burning-1504415669

GW+drop+2.jpg

Now, this is obviously not as good as it sounds, since they're still making a lot of money, but there is yet hope they will croak and someone competent will be put in charge.

Never happens that way. When a company's value crashes like that, it usually rules out any possibility of someone competent wanting to involve themselves. What inevitably happens is that the company (or its assets) get bought up by a larger entity that has little knowledge of the relevant market, but is hoping to make a profit by buying cheap, shutting the loss-making components and liquidating their assets, and then aggressively monetising the remaining profitable lines for some short-term cash before they're also liquidated.

Even the 'it will free up the market for a competent new company' rarely works unless there's other existing profitable players who can move in - if the only (or by far the largest) company in a market crashes, it becomes nearly impossible for new talented players to convince banks (or any other investor) to fund them.

However, this being the codex, I'm sure I'm not the only one who likes my shadenfrude as much as I like my gaming, and seeing consistently bad companies who don't learn from their mistakes finaly go ass-up is entertainment in itself:)

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Even the 'it will free up the market for a competent new company' rarely works unless there's other existing profitable players who can move in - if the only (or by far the largest) company in a market crashes, it becomes nearly impossible for new talented players to convince banks (or any other investor) to fund them.
Well, the article did mention some of them. Privateer Press is the obvious successor, but then you also have the guys who make Infinity, Dream Pod and their Heavy Gear, the guys who make Flames of War, and the super-cheap high quality models made by Mantic Games (EDIT: nvm Mantic seems to have increased their prices exponentially, used to be you could get 20 zombies for less than ten bucks).

GW's demise would only be a good thing, since all of those are superior games and products (ie, Privateer Press' average model quality and especially their paint line quality, not to mention rules quality and update model, shits on GW from a great height with deadly accuracy).

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Never happens that way. When a company's value crashes like that, it usually rules out any possibility of someone competent wanting to involve themselves. What inevitably happens is that the company (or its assets) get bought up by a larger entity that has little knowledge of the relevant market, but is hoping to make a profit by buying cheap, shutting the loss-making components and liquidating their assets, and then aggressively monetising the remaining profitable lines for some short-term cash before they're also liquidated.

However, this being the codex, I'm sure I'm not the only one who likes my shadenfrude as much as I like my gaming, and seeing consistently bad companies who don't learn from their mistakes finaly go ass-up is entertainment in itself:)
GW has many profitable competitors who can move into hobby stores when the space will be freed up by GW's demise (in before all former miniature wargame stores become MTG-only).

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
Eh, fuck them sideways. Over the course of last... What, 8 years? I mean, from the moment the old "new" DA codex came up, initiating the decline, they've been doing nothing but shitting all over W40k. Slowly, gradually but very effectively, with prices of models going up and up every year and quality of their game (game, not models, mind you, though even models had their "bright" moments with failcast) steadily crawling down the drain. At this point, it's already so shitty and disjointed that even getting bought by EA (or whatever its tabletop analogue is) won't make the situation much worse.

WetWorks

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014
I thought about commenting, but then i remembered i didn't care for any of GWs franchises anymore (except perhaps blood bowl). Fuck 'em.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Meh, GW has been down the shitter for years now.
It's no surprise people don't buy their stuff anymore. I stopped with the 4th edition.

groke

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera BattleTech I'm very into cock and ball torture
Eh, fuck them sideways. Over the course of last... What, 8 years? I mean, from the moment the old "new" DA codex came up, initiating the decline, they've been doing nothing but shitting all over W40k.

GW started bleeding sales shortly after the release of 3rd edition 40k in 1998; they had a hell of a pick-up from the Lord of the Rings craze, but sales have dropped on everything else unabated. It's a mystery that Fantasy (or anything that isn't wearing power armour) is still even being produced.

(in before all former miniature wargame stores become MTG-only).

Good one!

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Eh, fuck them sideways. Over the course of last... What, 8 years? I mean, from the moment the old "new" DA codex came up, initiating the decline, they've been doing nothing but shitting all over W40k. Slowly, gradually but very effectively, with prices of models going up and up every year and quality of their game (game, not models, mind you, though even models had their "bright" moments with failcast) steadily crawling down the drain. At this point, it's already so shitty and disjointed that even getting bought by EA (or whatever its tabletop analogue is) won't make the situation much worse.
Nah 40k has been shit since forever. The point where GW could go fuck itself was the 8th edition of Warhammer Fantasy, which was an irredeemable turd rules-wise AND an unforgivable cashgrab-through-army-invalidation.

Ebonsword

Arcane
...the guys who make Flames of War...

You mean Battlefront? They just became the distributors for Dust Tactics last year, too, so it seems like they're in an expansionary phase.

I can't say that I'm too pleased with their management of Dust Tactics so far, though.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
GWs demise wouldn't "free up space for competent competitors", it would just shrink the hobby. GWs immense size gives them the reach to recruit gamers who would never otherwise hear about miniatures gaming.

groke

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera BattleTech I'm very into cock and ball torture
GW only begets GW, and it has the blood of a thousand FLGS on it's taloned hands. I mean honestly:

EAs demise wouldn't "free up space for competent competitors", it would just shrink the hobby. EAs immense size gives them the reach to recruit gamers who would never otherwise be interested in gaming.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012

Good one!
I mean the ones that are currently colonised by Games Workshop.

GWs demise wouldn't "free up space for competent competitors", it would just shrink the hobby. GWs immense size gives them the reach to recruit gamers who would never otherwise hear about miniatures gaming.
What "reach"? GW reaches out mainly by colonising hobby stores. It actually drove competing hobby stores to bankruptcy using temporary sales and then raising prices after the other store goes bankrupt.

No GW = normal hobby stores with affordable miniatures from different miniature wargames = more gamers due to lesser costs.
Sadly, it will probably never happen because of MTG.

groke

Arcane
Patron

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
GW only begets GW, and it has the blood of a thousand FLGS on it's taloned hands. I mean honestly:

EAs demise wouldn't "free up space for competent competitors", it would just shrink the hobby. EAs immense size gives them the reach to recruit gamers who would never otherwise be interested in gaming.
Silly comparison. EA is just one of many major players in a huge market, but GW is basically a market in itself in parallel to the rest of the mini gaming market.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012

Good one!

Fair enough, I must admit that living in the Southern Hemisphere has given me a warped perspective on the situation; this strange creature, the GW-oriented independent, went extinct long ago here.
In my city, there is Bard and Flamberg. Bard is GW-orientated from the beginning. Flamberg used to be Warmachine/Hordes/Infinity/Flames of War/MTG but then it suddenly became MTG-only.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron

Good one!

Fair enough, I must admit that living in the Southern Hemisphere has given me a warped perspective on the situation; this strange creature, the GW-oriented independent, went extinct long ago here.

My FLGS (Faraos Cigarer) has a mix of GW, Privateer Press and that WW2 game (Flames of War?). Every single time they host a games night however, the store is flooded by MTG/W40K/WHFB. Good thing we have Bastard Cafe for people who aren't into overpriced plastic.

(Btw Grunker, Bastard Cafe is in Huset KBH this saturday from 1PM and onwards. You missed out on an epic 9-man Game of Thrones run last time).

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Shame you can't turn your stocks into resin models and jack the prices up even further, eh?:rpgcodex:

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Citadel FineStock™

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom