Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GW discovers price inelasticity: stock drops 24%

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
http://1d4chan.org/wiki/Matt_Ward#I.27m_a_Newfag.3B_Who_is_This_Guy.3F

Since I'm a newbie, I don't really understand why this guy is so hated, but whatever.
You know how some people buy into the whole "Codex is a prestigious magazine" thing? Ward did not get the memo about 40k not actually being all that serious. Plus he has a huge hard on for old Rowboat and the SMurfs.
He also wrote such glittering turds such as grey knights bathing themselves in the blood of Sisters of Battle to resist daemon corruption. And khaldor draigo.

groke

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera BattleTech I'm very into cock and ball torture
273619-Blood%20Angels,%20Comic,%20Humor,%20Mat%20Ward,%20Matt%20Ward,%20Necrons,%20Space%20Marines.jpg

Misconnected

Savant
I think I might be starting to hate Ward more for what he did to 40K discussions, than for what he did to the fluff :D

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Since I'm a newbie, I don't really understand why this guy is so hated, but whatever.
You know how some people buy into the whole "Codex is a prestigious magazine" thing? Ward did not get the memo about 40k not actually being all that serious. Plus he has a huge hard on for old Rowboat and the SMurfs.
He also wrote such glittering turds such as grey knights bathing themselves in the blood of Sisters of Battle to resist daemon corruption. And khaldor draigo.
I prefer not to think about Codex: Grey Knights.

It's funny seeing this complaints by old fans saying that new editions ruined everything when you actually liked 6th edition (since it's my first foray in 40K).

The twin Ruinous Powers of an adolescent-friendly editorial policy and Matt Ward's existence aside, there wasn't really that much to ruin lorewise from Rogue Trader's blatant rip-off homage to Frank Herbert's Dune meets Warhammer Fantasy in SPAAAAACE featuring:

SPAAAAACE Elves Eldar, SPAAAAACE Orcs Orks, SPAAAAACE Dwarves Squats, SPAAAACE Goblins Gretchin, SPAAAAACE Halflings Ratlings, SPAAAAACE Ogers Ogryn, SPAAAAACE pre-existing fantasty human product line Feudal Worlds, SPAAAAACE Skaven Hrud nobody knows, SPAAAAACE Beastmen (at some point), SPAAAAACE Slaan (they were already from SPAAAACE anyway), SPAAAAACE Zoats, and no SPAAAAACE Fimir whatsoever.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
The issue with the later editions is not the fluff alone but that they took away fluffy options that you could do with your army. Basically they streamlined shit so you have less options. Like TES getting rid of spears. Happy? And then after that there was really bad balance. 5th edition on = play a loyalist Space Marine army or bust. Of course there were 4-5 loyalist Space Marine codices whereas the rest of the factions had one book each.

The other thing is that they never improved the playability of the damn game.

The twin Ruinous Powers of an adolescent-friendly editorial policy and Matt Ward's existence aside, there wasn't really that much to ruin lorewise from Rogue Trader's blatant rip-off homage to Frank Herbert's Dune meets Warhammer Fantasy in SPAAAAACE featuring:

SPAAAAACE Elves Eldar, SPAAAAACE Orcs Orks, SPAAAAACE Dwarves Squats, SPAAAACE Goblins Gretchin, SPAAAAACE Halflings Ratlings, SPAAAAACE Ogers Ogryn, SPAAAAACE pre-existing fantasty human product line Feudal Worlds, SPAAAAACE Skaven Hrud nobody knows, SPAAAAACE Beastmen (at some point), SPAAAAACE Slaan (they were already from SPAAAACE anyway), SPAAAAACE Zoats, and no SPAAAAACE Fimir whatsoever
Easy, you ruin it by streamlining the setting and getting rid of half the races.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
You ruin it by buying into your own bullshit about GRIMDARK.
It's hardly even grimdark anymore. Who dies? Bad guys die! Demons die! Grey Knights and Ultramarines always win! Necrons and Blood Angels ally! It's Mary-Suism, that's the issue with the fluff.

Misconnected

Savant
Considering the term is the spawn of the setting, I think it's pretty safe to disagree :D

But it didn't start out anywhere near as grimdark as it has been for the last several editions.

80Maxwell08

Arcane

I prefer not to think about Codex: Grey Knights.
That was the only codex I bought models for. God I feel like such an idiot for that.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
The first drastic change was shoehorning Chaos into 1st edition which was initially intended to be Chaos-free. Then changing Squats from bikers to vikings and making everything more Gothic and less Punk in 2nd ed.

That's very true. It's kind of funny looking at the last two WD compendiums for 1e side by side, because one starts with a WTF is a SM sort of section, complete with zygotes, origins and the lot - but without primarchs or chaos. And the other starts with a WTF is a Grey Knight section, complete with traitor legions & the gods of chaos.

But the chaos'ification retcon of 40k wasn't in itself a huge change to the tone of the setting, and I'm fairly sure most people welcomed it at the time. It tied together what was a pretty fragmented setting and opened up new directions for where to take it.
Chaosification was a huge change of to the tone of the setting because it made it much more epic.
To see the change in tone, compare Eye of Terror from RT manual to the Eye of Terror under Chaos.
And Badab War with Horus Heresy.

TedNugent

Arcane

Grey Knights and Blood Angels were prime example of codex power creep back in 5th edition.

Fortunately 6th edition carried some specifically targeted nerfs against those two armies. 6th edition was written in part by Mat Ward. Most people just hate Matt Ward because he has a very uncompromising style of writing. He raped all of the 40k lore. From what I read on Dakka, people were unhappy specifically about Blood Angels brofisting Necrons and his rape of the Necron's backstory.

There's a story in the Gay Knights codex about how the grandmaster of the Gay Knights went into the fucking Warp, conquered entire Daemon worlds and tore out the still beating heart of a Daemon prince. Singlehandedly. Matt Ward is a shit writer and should be kept as far away from 40k lore as possible.

206656_sm-BloodAngelsHumorHumourMatWardNecrons.jpg

Sums it up

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
They're all retarded. Why put more mass in upper torso than lower torso? Ugh. (Opinion, not a serious argument about design)

Retribution seems to have more "proportionate" uh...Myrmidons but (A) it means I have to larp Elves and (B) it means I have to larp some alien-ish mech culture like Zion. In other words, their warjacks are so damn ugly. I do have to say that the House Magisters - they're mages that can move your enemies' models and can smack you in melee with magical power gauntlets - are pretty damn cool.

Horde warbeasts look pretty good "proportionately," though of course they're all beasts..

But I think Menoth is for me.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Knights look seriously retarded.

Generally, the setting went full-retard with the Heresy. Originally, Juggernauts (the vehicle class that Titans belong to) were described as almost exclusively tracked or wheeled. Walkers were described as at most as large as Dreadnoughts.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
They did rip off Starcraft, though.
It's been the other way around mostly, for historical reasons.

The only connection between the two models is the very most basic body plan they have. The new model is blatantly an upscaled Warjack.
Hum, the new model
m3810196a_99120108003_IKTerrynPaladin01_873x627.jpg
is much closer to that :
300px-Reaver1.jpg
warlord-titan-front.jpg
Which were obviously ripped off by Privateer Press ;)

Last edited:

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Starcraft was intended at one point to be a 40k game.

40k did rip off stuff, but not from any games - It ripped off stuff from movie tropes at the time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom