Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Half Life 2 is the 'best game of all time' according to Metacritic

Bioshock was overrated for like 5 minutes, then everyone forgot about it.

DraQ

Arcane
Well, for me HL2 is the most overrated game ever. I knew Oblivion was broken and needed heavy modding to be playable, but HL2 was universally heralded as the the best game evah, and nobody said anything about the flaws mentioned in this thread.
But of course it's weird that vanilla/console Oblivion should get such high ratings considering the critical level scaling design flaw.
Oblivion was also hailed as such and there is more disparity between utter turd and the best game ever than between an okay shooter and the best game ever.

But I guess casuals just don't care, as long as the graphics look pretty and they can bash some goblins?
102331390.jpg

Ummm... No?

Expectations has a lot to say. I had high expactations to HL2 but ended up hating it. I had very low expectations to Invisible War and Unreal 2, but ended up liking them and completing them.
:what:
How can you like IW and U2?

And how could you expect Unreal fucking 2 and Deus Ex fucking 2 to be flops in advance?

:retarded:

I can't even remember there was a revolver in HL2... On the other hand about revolver in HL1 I can say exactly the same you said for HL2's revolver. :smug:
Both were based on the same weapon, looked almost exactly the same, sounded almost exactly the same, had almost exactly the same recoil, accuracy and amount of blam delivered per shot.

How can you find one memorable but the other not?

I can agree with this generally, but fuck if I can think of a more satisfying revolver to use in any game.
DX:HR revsploder.
:troll:

I can't even remember there was a revolver in HL2... On the other hand about revolver in HL1 I can say exactly the same you said for HL2's revolver. :smug:
Both were based on the same weapon, looked almost exactly the same, sounded almost exactly the same, had almost exactly the same recoil, accuracy and amount of blam delivered per shot.

How can you find one memorable but the other not?

I can agree with this generally, but fuck if I can think of a more satisfying revolver to use in any game.
DX:HR revsploder.
:troll:

How? Because I forgot almost everything about HL2 as it wasn't very memorable. So, I don't even remember there being a revolver. It's very simple really.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Expectations has a lot to say. I had high expactations to HL2 but ended up hating it. I had very low expectations to Invisible War and Unreal 2, but ended up liking them and completing them.
:what:
How can you like IW and U2?

And how could you expect Unreal fucking 2 and Deus Ex fucking 2 to be flops in advance?

:retarded:

Huh? I didn't play them in advance. I played them some years after they were released.

octavius

Arcane
Patron

Huh? I didn't play them in advance. I played them some years after they were released.
Fucking expectations, how do they work?

They are a combination of experience of previous games and word of mouth.
Expect a new Deus Ex and be disappointed. Expect the worst and you may end up enjoying Invisible War.

Of course, I'm one of the few gamers with more patience than a 4 year old, so I don't buy and play most games when they are still in beta version. So when I do get around to play a game I usually know what to expect, based on other gamers' comments (I largely ignore what professional critics say).

DraQ

Arcane
Of course, I'm one of the few gamers with more patience than a 4 year old, so I don't buy and play most games when they are still in beta version. So when I do get around to play a game I usually know what to expect, based on other gamers' comments (I largely ignore what professional critics say).
So what the fuck are you doing actually bothering to obtain games like Unreal 2 and IW if you know damn well what to expect?

It's like ordering a fucking turd sandwich while knowing perfectly well it's a turd sandwich tasting as you'd expect of a turd sandwich.

Also, no:
Expect a new Deus Ex and be disappointed. Expect the worst and you may end up enjoying Invisible War.
If you expect to be raped with a piece of a barbed wire, but get raped with a piece of a regular one instead, it doesn't make the act of being raped pleasant.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
So what the fuck are you doing actually bothering to obtain games like Unreal 2 and IW if you know damn well what to expect?

It's like ordering a fucking turd sandwich while knowing perfectly well it's a turd sandwich tasting as you'd expect of a turd sandwich.

Because they were cheap, and because I suspected much of the negative reactions were based on too high expectations.

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
If you expect to be raped with a piece of a barbed wire, but get raped with a piece of a regular one instead, it doesn't make the act of being raped pleasant.
I've always said that pessimists are in fact happier than optimists, because everything is always better than expected.

DraQ

Arcane

Because they were cheap, and because I suspected much of the negative reactions were based on too high expectations.
Great, so I will go order a turd sandwich because it's cheap and surely it can't be as shitty as people were saying.
I've always said that pessimists are in fact happier than optimists, because everything is always better than expected.
Sometimes things are as just bad as expected, though - in those cases what makes pessimists happier is that they know what to fucking avoid.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Great, so I will go order a turd sandwich because it's cheap and surely it can't be as shitty as people were saying.

You sure are a quarrelsome little potato.
My point is that people's reaction to a game is often too much based on their expectations based on previous games. So the critisism is often more based on gut reactions since they expected DE1 and Unreal 1 than objective critisism.
Lowering the expectations I found both Invisible War and Unreal 2 to be "good enough" to complete them. At that time I couldn't get enough of FPS'es either, so that helped.

DarthBehemoth

Learned
My point is that people's reaction to a game is often too much based on their expectations based on previous games.

Well the point of a sequel and/or spirtiual succesor is to look, feel and play like the previous games, so why shouldn't people base their expectations on previous games? For example DA2 is absolute shit, but part of the shitstorm was that people wanted more RPG mechanics like Origins had. Can you blame them? Part of a games succes is determined by how well it can capture the feel of it's preddecessors. Fallout New Vegas for example, was liked by the Codex because it managed to capture that old, true Fallout feeling that Bethesda failed to grasp with F3.

DraQ

Arcane
My point is that people's reaction to a game is often too much based on their expectations based on previous games.

Well the point of a sequel and/or spirtiual succesor is to look, feel and play like the previous games, so why shouldn't people base their expectations on previous games? For example DA2 is absolute shit, but part of the shitstorm was that people wanted more RPG mechanics like Origins had. Can you blame them? Part of a games succes is determined by how well it can capture the feel of it's preddecessors.
And this.

If you don't want expectations, then don't make fucking sequel. Making a game, say Quake 2*, which is neither Quake, nor 2 is fucking dishonest practice, if you get chewed up for that and kicked in the teeth, then all is fucking well in the world, because you fucking should, even if your game is serviceable otherwise. If don't then *this* is fucking decline, not the other way around.

*) :troll:

Having expectations about sequels is fine since that's sorta the point of a sequel, but Octavius' point is that sometimes people's judgement of a game is too influenced by what it "should have been". I don't doubt IW would still get a lukewarm reception if it was called Pimp My Augmentations: Cyberpunk Hijinks, but the hate burns white hot because it's a Deus Ex game.

Yeah, for me HL2 is the "most overrated game of all time".
Sorry, but no. HL2 might be overrated (as much as I enjoyed it it is overrated), but this* honor belongs to oblivion and oblivion alone.

Sorry, but no. Oblivion might be overrated, but this honor belongs to bioshock and bioshock alone.

Sorry, but no. Bioshock might be overrated, but this honor belongs to FF7 and FF7 alone.

Syril

Liturgist
Queued
Sorry, but no. HL2 might be overrated (as much as I enjoyed it it is overrated), but this* honor belongs to oblivion and oblivion alone.

Sorry, but no. Oblivion might be overrated, but this honor belongs to bioshock and bioshock alone.

Sorry, but no. Bioshock might be overrated, but this honor belongs to FF7 and FF7 alone.

Sorry, but no.FF7 might be overrated, but this honor belongs to Deus ex and Deus ex alone.

Captain Shrek

On /v/ we have a daily thread about how grossly overrated HL2 is. /v/ has mildly popular memes about the daily retards posting that shit trying to look edgy and score cool credits.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
As has already been mention the gun play is extremely weak (mostly due to the Source engine). How can you have a good FPS with weak gun play?
I can agree with this generally, but fuck if I can think of a more satisfying revolver to use in any game. The crossbow was cool too.

The crossbow did, in fact, feel pretty nice.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
On /v/ we have a daily thread about how grossly overrated HL2 is. /v/ has mildly popular memes about the daily retards posting that shit trying to look edgy and score cool credits.

I'm so blunt that I don't even know what /v/ is. Do you have a link to those daily threads?

DraQ

Arcane

Sorry, but no.FF7 might be overrated, but this honor belongs to Deus ex and Deus ex alone.
Sorry, but no. Most Codexians might be edgy faggots, but this honor belongs to Syril and Syril alone.

I'm so blunt that I don't even know what /v/ is. Do you have a link to those daily threads?

The board on 4chan which theme is games (4chan is most known for /b/, which doesn't have a theme). Links aren't that useful since threads usually expire in a few hours due to big traffic.

edit: dexter is right, the big amount of users creates one problem - depending on the time of the day it may be Gamefaqs with pics. When I browsed during USA afternoon, you could always find at least one STALKER thread active (people at work, I guess). As night fell, these were slowly substituted for Mass Effect threads (teens and kids come home from school), until 1 in the morning when ME would gradually lose space to other stuff (kids going to sleep).

dextermorgan

Arcane

The board on 4chan which theme is games (4chan is most known for /b/, which doesn't have a theme). Links aren't that useful since threads usually expire in a few hours due to big traffic.
Don't click on any FNV or F3 threads unless you want to rage and/or are ready to fight the good fight. Especially when kwans are awake. Especially in the summer.

thesoup

Arcane
/v/ can be quite :obviously: when discussing RPGs, but that's usually when the weaboos and kwan teens are asleep.

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin

While highly overrated, more than most games, Deus Ex pales in comparison with any of those mentioned.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom