Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Half Life is shit

seco

Educated
Yep HL is shit
Doom is good.

El Presidente

Arcane
I mean if you defend Valve games you are not much different than people who defend FO3 or Oblivion.
? Yes you are. For starters Valve games are reasonably polished. I could stop right here as this is already such a massive difference it's kinda funny, Bethesda games are the absolute opposite of that and consequently the people who defend them have to defend their unfinishedness. They're also not failed attempts to be an RPG, they're not open world, etc etc.

Alex

Arcane
I see. Tbh, I even forgot Gears of War existed.

To be honest, every single war fps that came out kind of blurs together in my mind, with the exception of the Arma series.

Edit:

By which I mean that, if you were talking about gears of duty and suddenly switched to call of war, I wouldn't even notice.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
I can't really think of anything Half-Life did that wasn't going to happen anyway. The focus on story? Doubtful, developers were hiring writers to make novella-length backstories in their games back in the '80s, so you had a reason to kill whoever it was you needed to kill. Devs were jumping for joy at the ability to finally put it into the game. Level design was always going to be downgraded too, because consoles always had it worse than computers, but they were more popular, ergo, more money.

seco

Educated
ok but that doesn't explain why it's good and considered one of the best games.

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
Blame it on Quake 2.

At the time people raved about Q2 because of the tech but in hindsight anyone with actual taste will confirm the single player campaign just sucked.

HL was the next noteworthy FPS with a big marketing budget after Q2 and unlike Q2 it competently delivered on the promise of a structured game that didn't feel like just a collection of levels to clear and find the exit.

Since the bar was set so low by Q2, HL was received as the second coming of Jesus Christ and to this day that sentiment still reverberates.

seco

Educated
Still doesn't deserve to be remembered along greats like Doom, Quake, Duke, Blood, Unreal, Thief, System Shock and Deus Ex.
It must be nostalgia to be up there so high in the non rpg list.

Last edited:

0wca

Learned
I just finished Black Mesa recently and all three parts of HL2. You could make the argument that it's slightly overrated but it does a lot of things right. Things that I never (or very rarely) see in most, newer, FPS games.

No objective markers, good AI, smart level design and no cover bullshit. Also great progression in terms of weapons and when you gain them as well as decent physics (for its time).

It doesn't bring a whole lot of new things to the table, but it capitalizes on the pillars of what a good FPS should aim for.

Oh hey it's this thread again.

Here, I'll save you all the same five pages of discussion that we already get by giving you the tl;dr:

Half-Life is an overrated, but fine game. You can play it and go pew-pew-shooty-shooty aliens and have a decent amount of fun. It is one of the first (but also one of the best) "cinematic" shooters that most of us dislike, not least of all because the trend derailed the genre for the better part of two decades. Its level design is significantly declined from its immediate predecessors, but nowhere near as braindead as what would immediately follow it. Gunfeel is generally poor, but there are a couple standouts, and, unlike shooters that followed, weapon selection was generally situational.

HL2 though is pretty crap.

Last edited:

seco

Educated
Still doesn't explain why is so highly regarded on the list.
If you considered it decline then why it's higher than quake or blood on that list.

Last edited:

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Half-Life didn't ruin FPS. All the developers who tried to replicate its formula but much less successfully ruined FPS.

It's the same with something like Marvel movies. The MCU itself didn't ruin blockbuster movies. All the other idiot studios who rushed to create their own cinematic universes, copying the MCU formula without laying any proper groundwork in story and character, ruined the movies.

THIS. The game itself is p. good, especially for its time and if you like that sort of gameplay, but the whole world praising it as the second coming of Lord Jeebuz is what sucks, because that shit set a trend and gave birth to cinematic shootans.

SumDrunkGuy

Did Gabe Newell fuck your mother or something?

I'll bet. When he was a small child he probably finished a gaming session of Doom, and when he went to go get a snack he inadvertently walked in on them as it was happening. I hear Gabe uses cheeseburger grease as lube so the sight must of been so horrifying it traumatized the poor thing forever. Now he spends the rest of his days cursing Half-Life.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Did Gabe Newell fuck your mother or something?

I'll bet. When he was a small child he probably finished a gaming session of Doom, and when he went to go get a snack he inadvertently walked in on them as it was happening. I hear Gabe uses cheeseburger grease as lube so the sight must of been so horrifying it traumatized the poor thing forever. Now he spends the rest of his days cursing Half-Life.

Artist's rendition:

giphy.gif

Still doesn't explain why is so highly regarded on the list.
If you considered it decline then why it's higher than quake or blood on that list.
Dude Witcher 3 is higher than any Wizardry, Might and Magic, Goldbox, or Ultima title on the Codex’s top RPG list, it’s not as though there isn’t a sizeable voting bloc of popamole morons when it comes to these polls.

SumDrunkGuy

You know what the best FPS ever was? Geist on the Nintendo Gaycube. That game let you possess a naked lady in the shower and run around in the nekkid towel whipping MFers to death. That game was special and no body ever heard of it. RIP geist.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
You know what the best FPS ever was? Geist on the Nintendo Gaycube. That game let you possess a naked lady in the shower and run around in the nekkid towel whipping MFers to death. That game was special and no body ever heard of it. RIP geist.

Sounds a bit like that Messiah game that came out in 2000. That worked along similar lines with you possessing different NPCs to get their abilities and equipment.

SumDrunkGuy

Geist was actually a low budget piece of crap FPS but it had some great ideas and the multiplayer was a riot. I've certainly never seen another game quite like it since.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom