Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Half Life is shit

Zlaja

Arcane
One of the reasons for the steap decline of FPS games is the absolutely pathetic amount of RAM featured in Xbox 360 and PS3. Good luck producing some quality level design when making something that has to run on those toasters.

To be honest, every single war fps that came out kind of blurs together in my mind, with the exception of the Arma series.

Edit:

By which I mean that, if you were talking about gears of duty and suddenly switched to call of war, I wouldn't even notice.

Even if Gears Of War spawned the term "popamole", I'm struggling to think of any other games that felt just like GOW.

schru

Arcane
Even if Gears Of War spawned the term "popamole", I'm struggling to think of any other games that felt just like GOW.
Didn't most, if not all, third-person games with cover-based shooting that have come out since Gears of War borrow its mechanics or often use the very same engine?

seco

Educated
So the game is a classic yes or no?
Is popamole or patrician?
You can't have it both ways.
>b-b-but only normalfags voted for it not me
Sounds like cope.

Last edited:

Zlaja

Arcane
Didn't most, if not all, third-person games with cover-based shooting that have come out since Gears of War borrow its mechanics or often use the very same engine?

They certainly used the cover mechanics inspired by GOW, but that still didn't make those games have a GOW feel to it. Also, the cover mechanics in GOW weren't perfectly safe and enemies would bum-rush you often to force you to leave cover and engage them head-on. The key to success in GOW was to stay on the move and only use cover periodically. Stay in cover for too long and you will get raped. Unless you play on easy.

Last edited:

schru

Arcane

They certainly used the cover mechanics inspired by GOW, but that still didn't make those games have a GOW feel to it. Also, the cover mechanics in GOW weren't perfectly safe and enemies would bum-rush you often to force you to leave cover and engage them head-on. The key to success in GOW was to stay on the move and only use cover periodically. Stay in cover for too long and you will get raped. Unless you play on easy.
In that case I suppose that Gears of War itself doesn't quite qualify as pop-a-mole, but most of the cover-based shooters since the Xbox 360 and PS3 generation weren't very interesting to play, and I think the designation applies to them in a general way. It's not that the player isn't penalized in those games if he doesn't play carefully, but rather that the gameplay is in the end resolved into rather tedious and repetitive fire exchanges from behind cover; apart from that, such games tend to have very linear and scripts-based level design, while the style and presentation is overly cinematic in a bad way. I'd also distinguish cases where a game has more than the combat going for it, but it's spoiled and trivialized by the inclusion of cover-based shooting, like L.A. Noire or Mafia II.

SumDrunkGuy

Gears of War is the byproduct of RE4, Kill Switch, and the 1987 film Predator all having a steamy threesome together. All 4 of these things are responsible for the modern day TPS.

Tehdagah

Arcane
Half Life sucked. You can set the game at the hardest difficulty level and half of enemies can be killed by bunny-hoping around them with a crowbar.

SumDrunkGuy

Resident Evil shits on all of them. Fuck shooters. They're all low effort brainless games made to keep children distracted so the adults can go enjoy their lives for a bit. Seco you should grow up and go outside. Get over the fact that your mom got plugged by cheeseburger dick.

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
the xen levels are mostly a slap in the face if compared to everything else, but saying half life sucks is just the latest no-effort-gaming-hipster opinion that people are espousing now (spoilers: the people who say this probably dont play shooters)

seco

Educated
the xen levels are mostly a slap in the face if compared to everything else, but saying half life sucks is just the latest no-effort-gaming-hipster opinion that people are espousing now (spoilers: the people who say this probably dont play shooters)
People who think Half Life is good and not decline never played Doom, Quake, Duke, Blood, Sin. Shadow Warrior, Hexen, Heretic, Dark Forces, Unreal, Cybermage, Strife, System Shock, Marathon, Thief, Deus Ex, Ultima Underworld, etc.
Babby's first PC fps.

seco is probably the guy who got his shit kicked in on Half Life and his copium is to trash this game to bits. is it a great FPS at the time? yes. Are there better FPS before and after? Also yes. :lol:

0wca

Learned

See, now here's a game you can easily shit on that ruined modern FPS. Gears of War popularized cinematic, cover-based shooters, which led to the biggest decline in FPS. If OP was ragging on that, I'd agree.

People who think Half Life is good and not decline never played Doom, Quake, Duke, Blood, Sin. Shadow Warrior, Hexen, Heretic, Dark Forces, Unreal, Cybermage, Strife, System Shock, Marathon, Thief, Deus Ex, Ultima Underworld, etc.
Babby's first PC fps.

Played most of the titles you've listed. You probably think that the vertical aiming in HL was decline too don't you?

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
seco lost all credibility when he mentioned thief. thief is great but it's not an action game by any stretch - non-lethal playthroughs are even outright encouraged

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Eh, I never really liked Half Life that much compared to other FPS, even though it was my first FPS game.

Level design is painfully linear compared to other contemporary and earlier FPS. There's pretty much just one way forward all the time, no hub style areas like a Doom or Quake map where you have multiple directions to go into. If you get stuck and can't find the one way forward, you're screwed. While games like Quake had more of a focus on navigating a complex 3D environment, Half Life has a bigger focus on switch puzzles. I much prefer navigating a complex 3D space than trying to figure out the puzzle to get past an obstacle blocking my linear path.

The shooting is ok, but there are too many hitscan enemies and weapons. Soldiers are hitscanners. Your core weapons are all hitscanners too: the pistol, shotgun, SMG. I don't like hitscanners. I much prefer Quake to the Build engine games because of that. Projectiles >>> hitscan.

It's an ok game, but it's incredibly overrated. Unreal came out around the same time and is a much better game.

seco

Educated
Any indie retro fps btfo this linear tripe.
If you praise half life it's because you don't have experience with the genre.
You could be playing masterpieces like Sin or Unreal but nooo valve cock feels so good.
Ironically doom and quake are closer to immersive sims game design than half life, showing how much decline and hated by hardcore fps gamers it is.

Last edited:

SumDrunkGuy

Any indie retro fps btfo this linear tripe.
If you praise half life it's because you don't have experience with the genre.
You could be playing masterpieces like Sin or Unreal but nooo valve cock feels so good.

E1D1FyzVUAESni6.jpg

Lemming42

Arcane
This is legit one of the best troll threads in recent times. I didn't even fully catch on until the post about Thief, but now "masterpieces like Sin" seals the deal.

:5/5::5/5: 10/10

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom