Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Halp! MIDI music in older games, how does it work?

Rhuantavan

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Codex 2012
But basicly sound canvas=Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth?

The Roland Sound Canvas is a general midi compatible synth.

The Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth is a software version of the (virtual) sound canvas with some extra sounds (GS) added.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The Roland Sound Canvas is a general midi compatible synth.

The Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth is a software version of the (virtual) sound canvas with some extra sounds (GS) added.
Cool.

How do you know that Betrayal at Krondor was written for a Sound Canvas? I've seen a lot of people play it with an MT-32, since it is compatible with a MT-32. Is there a documentation for that about the Sound Canvas?

Rhuantavan

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Codex 2012
Cool.

How do you know that Betrayal at Krondor was written for a Sound Canvas? I've seen a lot of people play it with an MT-32, since it is compatible with a MT-32. Is there a documentation for that about the Sound Canvas?

I must have read about it somewhere, but can't remember where. Probably over at vogons.org. If you check the installer/configuration you can see the game supports general midi too. Since general midi came out after the MT-32 and since GM sounds much more like the later CD-audio version of the game, I guess GM is the preferred way to listen to the game's music.

Imho, the reason that many play the game in MT-32 mode, is because of built-in dosbox support for emulating an MT-32.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Thanks, I think I'm starting to get a pretty good result in BaK regarding the sound.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Man, you boys are hardcore with your hardware. I just use VirtualMIDISynth with some sound fonts. There was a way to legally emulate the Roland soundsets using a software suite that was currently released as freeware and contained the actual roms but I found it so convoluted to setup, I just gave up, but I was curious about all the excitement. My brother was heavily into the whole hardware MIDI thing back in the day and even made his own synthesizer and wavetable hardware. He composed tons of MOD files and fancied himself a talented musician/composer (he wasn't though) and used to give away a cassette of his masterpieces with mail order items he made and sold.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom