Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

HALT!! Daggerfall Thread!

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
I noticed there hasn't been an active dedicated Daggerfall thread in awhile so I took it upon myself to make one for the greatest Bethesda game of all time.

Just started a new game a few days ago and have been streaming it to a very small audience. This is my first time playing seriously in over 15 years. Having a lot of fun. Made a custom Battlemage-esque class and haven't been having any problems outside of getting lost in dungeons. Really need to find a way to navigate these dungeons more efficiently but they're just so fucking big. Here's my build:

nu73TaG.jpg

It's working pretty well so far. If you're new to this game and want a solid build to start with I'd recommend the above, switching out Long Blade and Short Blade with whatever weapon skills you prefer. But starting with the Ebony Dagger (choose to make your own background) and Short Blade has been a godsend as it can damage all monster types in the game. Although because of this I haven't been taking advantage of my Long Sword major skill since I've yet to find anything better than the Ebony Dagger. I picked High Elf because it seems like the best choice. Immunity to Disease and Poison as well as a very high resistance to magic seems very overpowered compared to the other races which don't get any racial bonuses outside of "resist frost a little bit". Not having to worry about disease brings great peace of mind. Joined the Knights of the Dragon and the Mages Guild so far. Hunting Imp pets is a pain in the ass.

It's hard to argue that any Bethesda game is better than this. Morrowind was an obvious step back in terms of scope and gameplay philosophy. Daggerfall feels like a fantasy world simulator while Morrowind and subsequent games feel like fantasy novels. The random aspect of Daggerfall makes every playthrough unique, and the shear size of the world is breathtaking even if it's a lot of the same shit. More skills leads to more builds than any other ES game, even if some of them are more useless than others. Buying your own boat. Turning into a Wereboar. Climbing. Monster taming skills. Truly it doesn't get any better than this.

Basically I made this thread to discuss anything about the game, especially hints and tips for new players or people who haven't played in a long time.

Speaking of tips, recently I attempted to get a quest from Knights of the Dragon and found that some jewel thief had set me up and now the quest giver is pissed at me. I found a note with a location of the jewel but can't seem to find the dungeon mentioned in the note (can't teleport to it becauase it wasn't directly mentioned by an NPC I guess?). I was curious if I could just give the note to someone to exonerate myself but I have no idea who to give it to as the guy who's pissed at me vanished. Anyone remember how to complete this?

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
I found a note with a location of the jewel but can't seem to find the dungeon mentioned in the note (can't teleport to it becauase it wasn't directly mentioned by an NPC I guess?).

I know it's a long shot, but are you sure you typed the exact location name ? Like the graveyard of whatever, or the old crypt of somewhere ? The fast travel system is pretty touchy about this.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
I found a note with a location of the jewel but can't seem to find the dungeon mentioned in the note (can't teleport to it becauase it wasn't directly mentioned by an NPC I guess?).
I know it's a long shot, but are you sure you typed the exact location name ? Like the graveyard of whatever, or the old crypt of somewhere ? The fast travel system is pretty touchy about this.

Yeah, even wrote down the exact wording and tried different variations of the name. "The Ruins of Wickston Manor", which is supposedly in Anticlere but will not show up when I search for it in any variation.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
Anyone tried that daggerXL thing? Is it worth?

From what I can tell Daggerfall Unity seems more promising as it's still getting update support. But I really have no interest in trying any of the remakes. The original game is really all you need unless you absolutely can't play at low resolutions due to some snobbish graphics whoeredom and can't get over some of the bugs. Ansd I believe there are threads already for Unity and XL. Either way, afaik, none of these remakes are complete by any stretch of the word.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
I wish there was a faithful engine recreation/source port in the vein of OpenMW. Maybe I'd actually play the damn game.

deama

Prophet

From what I can tell Daggerfall Unity seems more promising as it's still getting update support. But I really have no interest in trying any of the remakes. The original game is really all you need unless you absolutely can't play at low resolutions due to some snobbish graphics whoeredom and can't get over some of the bugs. Ansd I believe there are threads already for Unity and XL. Either way, afaik, none of these remakes are complete by any stretch of the word.
I just wanna jump high and go really fast like in morrowind/oblivion. I tried doing that in daggerfall but it ended up being clunky, also the fog of war distance wasn't nice.

Moonrise

The Magnificent
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Okay, pro-tip time. Daggerfall is extremely twitchy. Think Doom, not Potato Scrolls. Do not skimp on your acrobatics (running, jumping, climbing.) Agility and speed are the most important stats in the game. Remap the controls. Set reflexes to VERY HIGH. With the right setup you can bound across rooftops, and do flying roundhouse kicks. If you want ez-mode, play an unarmed werewolf. Unarmed attacks are not subject to resistances. This is the Dark Messiah of its day. Kick to victory.

YCHE8z8.png

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
Agility and speed are the most important stats in the game.

Agility is actually bugged or at least undertuned to the point of being mostly useless (Willpower as well). I've actually lowered agility to the lowest for more points at character creation with all the characters I've played with no ill effects. I'd say Speed and Strength are the most important stats in the game. Investing in Strength has noticeable payoffs, Agility seems to have very little to no payoffs in combat situations and only effects your agility governed skill up rates in any noticeable capacity, but even then considering that Speed governs Dodging and Running and Strength governs Jumping and Climbing, there's really no need to invest in Agility.

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2

From what I can tell Daggerfall Unity seems more promising as it's still getting update support. But I really have no interest in trying any of the remakes. The original game is really all you need unless you absolutely can't play at low resolutions due to some snobbish graphics whoeredom and can't get over some of the bugs.
How about more and better guild quests? Quests except for the main quest were mostly very half-assed in this game, which made rising through the ranks underwhelming.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
Does it run well on DOSBox? I'm fucking around with Blood at the moment, it runs surprisingly well, you could say that there's not even any real need for a source port.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
Does it run well on DOSBox? I'm fucking around with Blood at the moment, it runs surprisingly well, you could say that there's not even any real need for a source port.
Runs really well. The DaggerfallSetup exe included on UESP works really well, and has some mods thrown in including quest mods. http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:Files

You have to fool around with the CPU cycles a bit to get the sound working properly but it's nothing more than hitting F11 a few times after opening the game.

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
If you grab Battlespire on GOG (a game I wholly recommend) the then you get Daggerfall and Arena pre-setup as a bonus.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
If you grab Battlespire on GOG (a game I wholly recommend) the then you get Daggerfall and Arena pre-setup as a bonus.

You can get both Arena and Daggerfall for free from Bethesda's website.

I'm going to look into Battlespire though, I've heard good things.

Citizen

532uLBI.png
zO7lW4Y.png

Playing right now in DosBox. Game's smooth as silk, don't now why would someone wait for a vapourware unity remake.

Citizen

Can't quite get what are you asking about, i'm just playing in this resolution. But if you're interested in settings - i use overlay output, 1920x1080 resolution, true aspect and normal3x scaler for most dosbox games, they are looking very nice on 1080 screen and i don't mind black borders.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom