Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hand-Placed Loot, Randomized Loot or mixed system?

Which do you prefer?

• I am a monk swore to poverty and have no need for your puny material belongings, just my fists (KC)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
So I've been remembering people talking about Wasteland 2 loot's system and how it was done somewhat wrong due to the fact you often found items in weird places despite their value and scarcity - Like finding twenty shotgun shells in some trash bin while a locked safe has a wrench and two nails. Essentially they would need a system assigned to value, where, say, Value 1 is placed on a trash bin while value, say, 5-8 is placed on the safe because people don't thrown perfect shotgun shells in the trash and nobody guards wrenches and two nails in a locked safe.

Implementation should't be hard, Jim did in his mods with some SFall Scripts, surely we could do it in a similar way but perhaps including shelfs and chests as well.

So should we have a randomized loot system (Wasteland 2-style), Hand-Placed loot (Original Fallouts) or a mixed system (critters in Jim's Mods for Fallout 2)?

Advantages of each:
Randomized: Makes the game much more random, making builds more unpredictable and adding more variety and exploration to loot.

Hand-Placed: Better for game-balance, makes game progress more logical, less randomness

Mixed System: Normal loot with the additional chance of finding a few surprises in every played game.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Randomization within limits, would be fine, I think. As long as enemies give loot of a WYSIWYG style.

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
If it can be done right, semi-randomized loot. If it doesn't become too randomized, it can create a few nice surprises on repeat playthroughs.

If not, hand-placed.

hexer

I used Bioware's semi-randomized loot system for my (ancient) NWN 1 module. And I remember the randomizer was more like a trinket-junk generator than anything useful. If you could make it produce something useful and not out of place, that would be great.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
It's so easy to attach loot to enemies pockets, containers, scenery objects etc so its really not a big timesing to put stuff in where it makes sense - I wouldn't go with a randomized loot system. That's just me, but random stuff everywhere feels wrong.

dibens

as seen on shoutbox
Patron
Mixed. Weapon rack in an abandoned farm gives a random tier 1 weapon, a tribal drops 1-250 currency, 1-3 random semi-valuable items he may have scavenged and the weapon he used. Hand placed loot for quest/boss/special encounter mobs.

Last edited:

hiver

semi randomized, if it would be possible to do.

Hand placed for important NPcs, places and characters or factions. While criters and other generic enemies, random containers have their own small list of appropriate items that is a bit randomized.
Carefully hand placed stuff is practically indispensable to make really good quests. I wouldnt mind hand placing items in any location i would work on. In fact i would prefer it, as a part of world building tools.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
In general, I'd say fully randomized loot but with triggers that can affect the fully random loot table. (and this isn't to say all items must have equal drop percentage chance either)

Like certain "loot" might not become randomly droppable until a player has performed a certain event, completed a specific quest / plot line, or attained a particular level.

I'd say hand-placed for containers and randomized for critters (because you have more variables to work with: you can base weapon value/ammo count on experience value besides area wealth, weapon type on atts/skills or vice versa, etc.), but given the insane amount of maps you're dealing with, you could try randomized containers along the lines of associating containers with critters on the map (FO2 already did that occasionally, to decide who gets pissed off when you tamper with which container, but if you do it consistently, you'll have all the critter stats to work with in deciding container contents: high science critters have a high chance of science manuals in their associated containers, etc.)

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Random loot should just make sense within the area it is acquired from. You possibly could do some tables for areas and then have it pick something from that.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Hand-placed loot in certain locations/NPCs/enemies, random loot for the rest.

But the random loot tables should be tiered, so killing/looting high-level stuff does drop better loot than just opening trash cans .

The_scorpion

Liturgist
Mixed System. Random loot mostly for "scenery" items, junk, consumables stuff like that.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Mixed system, but with small specific loot tables.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom