Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Happy 40th Anniversary to Dungeons and Dragons

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I just wanted to say that Dungeons and Dragons just hit 40. Yahoo has a nice article about it:

http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged-in/happy-40th-birthday-dungeons-dragons-214544046.html

PC Gamer also is celebrating with its top 10 D&D video games:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2429915,00.asp

They put Neverwinter Nights in there because some of their staffers must be morons, but props for them adding the Temple of Elemental Evil.

I've been playing since 1984 as a young lad of 8. I may not like the newer versions, but I am very happy that the game exists in any form and is still providing enjoyment to so many fans.

Now if we can only get a decent movie...

WetWorks

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014
Yeah, that must a happy birthday indeed. Without d&d ...well, you know the drill.

Never been a favorite of mine, but the red box got me started, and i've played both 2nd and a shitton of 3.x edition.

Thx bros.

bussinrounds

Augur
That Pathfinder artwork looks too cartoony. Something that I didn't like about the newer versions of d&d either.

I remember going into the bookstore after not having messed with d&d since the 80s and facepalming when looking through the monster manual. Like they really took that satanic shit to heart and went the complete opposite direction with it.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
There's some truth in that.

RCmUM09.jpg

Misconnected

Savant
To be fair, the Something Something The Third guy (yeah, I only remember the exceptionally poncy bit of his name) that illustrated AD&D was about as accomplished as the average 3 year old spastic. Unholy fuck that "art" was terrible.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
To be fair, the Something Something The Third guy (yeah, I only remember the exceptionally poncy bit of his name) that illustrated AD&D was about as accomplished as the average 3 year old spastic. Unholy fuck that "art" was terrible.
Eat shit

Misconnected

Savant

Do you seriously think the internal illustrations in the original AD&D PHB/DMG were good?

I'm talking about stuff like this.

EDIT: I seem to remember the guy (I want to call him David Cumberpatrch The 3rd, but that's not quite right) actually did the cover illustrations too, for the first printing of the books. And they weren't much better than the dragon I just uploaded. Which, by the way, was the first internal illustration in the DMG and not some especially horrendous example I cherry-picked.

Alex

Arcane
The dragon Misconnected posted may not be awesome, or even great, but I will take it any day of the week over anything on 3E.I haven't read Pathfinder much to see if it is the same, but I seem to remember it just continues the trend.

Misconnected

Savant
Both from AD&D 2nd ed either PHB or DMG.

Please note I wasn't talking about 2e. Not all the artwork in the material for that line was pure awesomesauce (the Complete Books of, for example), but a of it was (Darksun and PlaneScape in particular).

I'm not terribly familiar with D&D3e and onwards, but at least the core books had vastly better art than AD&D1e.

Caim

Arcane
For some reason I rather like having the gods play bigger roles in my campaigns, so I'm a huge sucker for stuff like the Deities and Demigods. Too bad they were kinda abandoned after 3e: there were a few things on the gods in 4e like the story of Bane and his kickass art. But regarding the last Deits and Dems I have to wonder if they knew what they were going with when drawing up art for Loki, the god of trickery and deceit:

Loki_p184.jpg

I mean come on.

Can we agree that Vampire: The Masquerade had some of the shittiest art ever in the 90's?
No, but we can agree that DiTerlizzi's arts are best of the motherfucking best.
Roll+to+See+if+You+Cry.gif

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture

Do you seriously think the internal illustrations in the original AD&D PHB/DMG were good?

Yes.

DM_Screen_Temple_Raid_large.jpg

dmgskelly.jpg

alumni_0821_1.jpg

02.jpg

DM_Screen_Warrior_large.jpg

This last pic is from the 1st Edition DM Screen. Here's the full picture:

url

Even David Sutherland III, who you don't admire, had his good moments:

lion009b.jpg

Succubus_(Dungeons_%26_Dragons).jpg
Are you the Grognardia dude?

No, but I followed his site closely.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom