Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hard modern single player games

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
The recent Far Cry 6 doing stealth runs of major enemy installations on hardcore mode with all enemy UI options (silhouettes, hitpoint indicators, tagging, grenade indicators, etc) disabled can be balls hard if you want a real challenge. Maybe a mod or two that stops regenerating health and gives only 25% health replenishment with health packs. Otherwise if you play on default settings, a literal retard could breeze through the game. Also, no animal companion for added challange; however, it will be difficult to resist those cute critters like deadly iridescent chickens that you've leveled up to go into "roid rage" that peck enemies to death or ghostly jaguars that sneak up, pounce and kill.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Hardest game I ever played was Captain Claw

Its a platformer that came out in 1997, made by Monolith, devs who made Blood

Its probably one of the hardest, most nerve-racking games in existence. I never got very far. However, I fondly remember the voice overs and memorable environments. Elaborate level design with countless secrets really resonated with me. Furthermore, you could chose from a list of elaborately-constructed custom levels.

Claw_1.png
Claw_2.png
Claw_3.png
Claw_4.png
Claw_5.png
Claw_6.png
Claw_7.png

Gostak

Educated
I have not played it myself but maybe Intravenous? Its difficulty is adjustable, though.

Also is Mark of the Ninja hard (have not played it either), a former console title, can that even be hard? lol

mastroego

Arcane
Get XCom: EW
Mod it with Long War.
Then mod the mod with Long War Rebalanced.

I think it'll qualify as "hard"

fork

If you like Souls, you might like The Surge and/or the Surge 2, Hellpoint (janky overambitious shit imo, but some people seem to like it), Code Vein (mediocre anime souls, but it's not easy, and there are nude mods) or Mortal Shell (overambitious, polished, underdeveloped souls clone with a gimmick that gets old fast).
If you're not opposed to stealth games, try the Styx titles, they're way underrated and well worth playing.
Real time tactics? MiMiMi's Shadow Tactics (both the original as well as the stand-alone expansion and Desperados 3 with its DLCs are awesome. Terrific level design and adjustable difficulty (hardest is hard!).

The rest of my recommendations has already been mentioned. :(

On the other hand, why not play some great old Doom or Doom 2 wads on Ultra Violence?

And if the only criterion is hard, play classic shmups via MAME.
Not that they're not good games as well, but it takes a special kind of person to go for that 1cc.

Last edited by a moderator:

fork

I liked the first one.
No masterpiece, but well worth playing.

Poseidon00

Arcane
Any modern fighter if you want to play competitively. Gettin gud takes a long time, but it's very rewarding. My personal favorite is Injustice 2 because the diversity, character customization, and pacing are all completely up my alley. I main the low tiers, like Raiden and the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and after 300+ hours I can reliably take matches against my competitive-level friends, and even win sets.

Chrono Ark looks like weeb shit but it's genuinely good and I got positively fucked by the "final" boss about a half dozen times before I started reliably winning. And it took 20+ runs to even get there.

I found Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun to be tough as well. The hardest of the three I mentioned, really. The isometric viewpoint and the party based gameplay definitely don't hurt.

Edit: Oh, and X-Com. Your out-of-battle strategy actually matters, which is a refreshing change from most tactical rpgs.

Pick games you already like and just add restrictions. Do something that perhaps no one else has done before.

Humanophage

Arcane
Thea 1
Thea 2
Conquest of Elysium 5
Dominions 4
Civilization 4 on Immortal+ (might depend on other settings)

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
EDIT: WTF IS THIS TWO WAY IGNORE SHIT? massive fucking decline

What I always wished for was an automatic reciprocal ignore function. That way, I'd be aware of my ignore status, and wouldn't ever end up wasting time replying to some butthurt loser who can't even see my posts.

Fortunately, the vast majority of people who put me on their ignore lists are the types whose posts I'd just scroll by without reading anyway, but even so I occasionally update my reciprocal ignore list manually.

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
EDIT: WTF IS THIS TWO WAY IGNORE SHIT? massive fucking decline

What I always wished for was an automatic reciprocal ignore function. That way, I'd be aware of my ignore status, and wouldn't ever end up wasting time replying to some butthurt loser who can't even see my posts.

Fortunately, the vast majority of people who put me on their ignore lists are the types whose posts I'd just scroll by without reading anyway, but even so I occasionally update my reciprocal ignore list manually.
Fuck off retard

I was playing Fallout 4 Hardcore mode. It was challenging and fun experience. I cared for every step or action and killing felt really good. Then my save started crashing on me mid playthrough, didn't even have mods this time. Fallot games never fail to spike my cortisol.

WhiteShark

Learned
I haven't played Rise or World, but Monster Hunter in general is quite challenging solo. Portable 3rd on the PSP is the easiest to emulate using PPSSPP, but all of the older titles can be played on emulator without much hassle.

12ax8

Novice
Tomb Raider 3 on PSX emulator is a hard and modern single player game.

anab0lic

Novice
If you want challenging games, stay the hell away from the AAA stuff, its all braindead easy.

Indie scene is where its at if you want a good challenge:

Slay the spire
Into the breach
Celeste
Spelunky
Enter the gungeon

to name a few...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom