Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Harebrained Schemes General Discussion Thread

Will HBS stay on the path of the incline?

• Yes, it will always stay on the right side

Votes: 26 9.7%
  • For some time yes, then it will inevitably fall

Votes: 45 16.8%
  • It already started becoming a decline

Votes: 33 12.3%
  • It is alrady a decline

Votes: 30 11.2%
  • It was never an incline to begin with.

Votes: 69 25.7%
  • How the fuck could I know?

Votes: 47 17.5%
  • kingcomrade in order to make well thought answers meaningles

Votes: 18 6.7%

• Total voters

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Did you all forget that there was LITERALLY Z E R O straight white males in space, in their Battletech. Did you forget all transexual, Muslim, queer 15.6% Canadian, 30% Somalian, 3% German, 22% Indian Battletech pilots?!

I didn't forget, just never knew about it because i never played nor bought that garbage.
Are you buying every fucking game you don't like or do you secretly love that shit?

agris

Arcane
Patron
They had a lot of faults. Linear character growth, itemization, linear spell system, lack of found items impacting growth (said another way; poor itemization), limited environmental interactions and thus limited rpg mechanics bearing on problem solving.

These games had a lot of problems, I wish that HBS recognized them so that that they would do better next time.

pleasebeshadowrunpleasebeshadowrunpleasebeshadowrunpleasebeshadowrunpleasebeshadowrunpleasebeshadowrunpleasebeshadowrunpleasebeshadowrunpleasebeshadowrunpleasebeshadowrunpleasebeshadowrunpleasebeshadowrun

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Judging by the screenshots on the main page, they blew out the contrast and drenched everything in ugly HDR which is par for the course for these "remasters."
original said:
ss_8cad4c995537bcad332759de86e7558a80b9473b.1920x1080.jpg
remaster said:
"Making the game uglier is improving it, right?"

Codex Year of the Donut
Judging by the screenshots on the main page, they blew out the contrast and drenched everything in ugly HDR which is par for the course for these "remasters."
original said:
remaster said:
"Making the game uglier is improving it, right?"
Might have been unintended, they likely upgraded to a Unity version that uses a newer rendering pipeline which has entirely different settings for lighting, HDR/tonemapping, postprocessing, etc.,

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I was enjoying the OST on youtube for a long time, until today when I woke up to this shit...

upload_2022-4-28_17-47-59.png

:hmmm: ...

Häyhä

Arbiter
A few years back I played Hong Kong and made a human Physical Adept/Monk or whatever it was thinking it'd fit the setting, but I didn't like the combat with that character so I dropped the game and never went back. I did finish the original game and Dragonfall (Assault Rifle Street Samurai in both if I remember correctly) and enjoyed them for what they were. What's the general opinion, is Hong Kong on par with Dragonfall? Better? Worse?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Dragonfall > Hong Kong > Dead Man's Switch. Dead Man's Switch suffers from a narrative whiplash halfway through that makes the whole thing go off the rails. Hong Kong suffers from being overwritten and meanders a bit because it wants to do too much at the same time. Like Dead Man's Switch, HK tries to stuff two stories up its orifices and it doesn't work too well. Dragonfall also has flaws, don't get me wrong, like the companions being underwritten and ending up nowhere, but it's the tightest of the bunch.

Shadowrun seems good on paper, but these games need more mechanical depth. I found combat to be dull. They need more abilities and interactions. I enjoyed a whole of 2 battles in SR:R--the graveyard and the executive suite fight. I had hoped for better with Dragonfall because of the reviews, but ended up uninstalling after about 5 hours because nothing about it hooked me. I want to like Shadowrun. The potential is obvious. Not trying to be an edgelord, but I liked Satellite Reign far more.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Install the mod from agris that removes the artificial handicap placed on the AI that doesn't allow it to attack multiple times a turn and you'll find the combat to be quite different than what is initially there.

Sykar

Arcane
Shadowrun seems good on paper, but these games need more mechanical depth. I found combat to be dull. They need more abilities and interactions. I enjoyed a whole of 2 battles in SR:R--the graveyard and the executive suite fight. I had hoped for better with Dragonfall because of the reviews, but ended up uninstalling after about 5 hours because nothing about it hooked me. I want to like Shadowrun. The potential is obvious. Not trying to be an edgelord, but I liked Satellite Reign far more.

Satellite Reign is a good game.

Jason Liang

Arcane
I've been playing Battletech with the BEX mod for the past 3 months. It's surpassed Dragonfall for me as a game (although not as a rpg).

Jason Liang

Arcane
Healing items were less plentiful
The problem isn't so much that they are plentiful - limited inventory space takes care of that - but that companion (and especially bot) inventories reset on the map change. And that is an engine thing.

That's right, thanks for reminding me. Its been years since I played, but I remembered there was something casual about consumable items.

It is not an engine limitation, the engine clearly has state tracking. It has a saved game system, and your personal consumables do not refresh. It's a design choice, a poor one.
That's the discovery you make when you fiddle around with the editor. Infinity and Aurora are game engines. Shadowrun is just code run in Unity.

agris

Arcane
Patron
I've been playing Battletech with the BEX mod for the past 3 months. It's surpassed Dragonfall for me as a game (although not as a rpg).
What year did you start, and what additional simulation / tactical options are you using? this is the first that I've heard of BEX, and the description sounds great.

Jason Liang

Arcane
What year did you start, and what additional simulation / tactical options are you using? this is the first that I've heard of BEX, and the description sounds great.
3026 SLDF cache start, bigger drops, simulation plus, 5 parts to complete mech, unequipped mechs, slowest mechwarrior progression. Also cheaper Argo upgrades/ upkeep for QoL.

- Battles are now quite challenging and tactical, and it takes a long time to build a good lance
- Of course you also need two lances for bigger drops
- Lots of consecutive battle flashpoint missions which are grueling
- Load times are about on par with vanilla
- More mission variety, like duels and duo duels
- Just the freedom to travel all across the Inner Sphere, although hopefully more systems will have unique flashpoints in the future
- Marauder and Atlas DHT got nerfed from vanilla, good riddance
- Now only specific chassis can get jump jets. Really like this change
- Internal double heat sinks reduced to 40 heat dissipation, good balance change.

Playing 3 months and my main lance is still an Orion, a Crusader, a Shadowhawk (was a Wolverine) and a Trebuchet. I did pick up 2 parts of a NIGHTSTAR -9J though! And I almost have a complete Cyclops -Z.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom